1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matthew - Nov 06 2015

Discussion in 'Developer Progress Reports' started by PsychoticLeprechaun, Nov 7, 2015.

1. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    In the last few weeks I have shifted gears a little bit and have began some work on the programming side of SoA. I know updates are thin on the ground, so I thought I would throw up the few things I've gotten done recently.

First up, I have implemented some functionality for fancier interpolation in Vorb. We now have a range of "tweening" functions that will be crucial to our implementation of procedural animation. The below image shows off the different functions added.

[​IMG]
    I highly recommend you checkout this video. It's a great talk on how procedural animation can be done well using these functions!

I have also started transferring SoA's camera from SoA to Vorb, and expanding it to accommodate certain behaviours. In particular, a cinematic camera that can have a series of positions plotted with interpolation between using the above functions so that we, and you, will be able to make awesome cinematic shots in-game.

On the design side of the coin, Seb and I have been hammering out how character progression will work in all aspects of SoA. This will be an incredibly important aspect of the game to get right, as we want it to be fun while sticking to the core principles of SoA - that it not detract unnecessarily from the feeling of immersion especially.

I know this isn't much, but it hopefully shows we haven't stopped working on SoA. We have just shifted focus to getting in the core underlying tools and features we need to develop on top of later down the road.

Have a screenshot for your awesomeness:
    [​IMG]
    Xion, Con No 1, zeroinnocent and 5 others like this.
  2. ColdFuseon

ColdFuseon Lost in Space

• Contributor
    Nice man, thank you and Seb, interesting screenshot
    ColdFuseon, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited by ColdFuseon; at Nov 7, 2015
  3. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

Cool! I'm really liking the idea of the cinematic camera. :D
  4. Danarkivus-2

Danarkivus-2 Back Into Space

that great i can make better machinimas with that.
  5. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    Sweet! Any development news is good news.
    Thomas988 likes this.
  6. zeroinnocent

zeroinnocent Tester

• Tester
    nice! good job!!
  7. Potatocat

Potatocat Back Into Space

Dang those functions though
  8. Xion

Xion Industrial Re-revolutionist

Hi, guys. I'm still here.

It's good to see something new! :)
    Thomas988 likes this.
  9. Chaser04

Chaser04 Reinvented The Wheel

Sweet! The cinematic camera sound awesome!
  10. Gram

Gram Crash Landed

Happy to see updates! :)
  11. Kesorvas

Kesorvas Crash Landed

Awesome to see that this game is still being made, but what is Vorb? I keep hearing it and seeing it around the forums and some of the streams before but I don't understand what it is
  12. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Vorb is the game engine we built when we decided to refactor SoA. It's still being expanded on but ultimately it will have all of the portable aspects of the game incorporated into it so other games could be made based on the same engine as SoA!
    Gram likes this.