1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michael Hubbard - Writer

Discussion in 'Meet the Devs' started by MichaelH, Jul 7, 2015.

1. MichaelH

MichaelH Writer

• Dev Member
    Hey, everyone! The name's Michael, and I just joined as one of the writers for Seed of Andromeda.

I'm a recently graduated double major in Computer Science and Creative Writing, and my day job is in Software Development. However, I don't have much background in gamedev coding-wise outside of GameMaker--so, I know just enough to be thoroughly confused when the programmers start talking.

Fortunately, I'm not here as a programmer--I'm here to write. Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror have always been my genres of choice, so I'm super excited to have the chance to write for a sci-fi game on this scale. Don't expect the Fantasy to come into play too much...as for the horror? Who knows....? (insert spooky laughing here)

I haven't been a part of the community or game for long, but I'm already blown away by both the professionalism and talent amongst the development team and by the enthusiasm this community is already showing for a game that is still under development. My goal is to work with Kate, Matthew, and everyone else on the team to deliver the best game we can.
  2. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

I'm glad to hear you love the community so far, we have a lot of really cool guys here. :) Welcome to the cool kids club!
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  3. Danarkivus-2

Danarkivus-2 Back Into Space

Welcome been a while since fresh meat has arrived.
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  4. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

Welcome to the nuthouse :p I'm sure the community will find something else to thoroughly confuse you with. We seem to be comprised mostly of people who practically specialize in whatever it is they're interested in, but I digress. It's nice to see a new face around here. :)
    ColdFuseon and Thomas988 like this.
  5. ColdFuseon

ColdFuseon Lost in Space

• Contributor
  6. Sevio

Sevio Back Into Space

Welcome to the community! I'm hoping to see a great sci-fi story in SoA, as far as horror goes, I wouldn't mind having some good suspense and darker themes in the story, but can I make a request to keep it about as family friendly as WoW is with respect to graphical gore and all that? :)
  7. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Hmm, I don't recall how far WoW goes, but there are some ideas we have that likely take the potential for gore beyond that - such as the volumetric damage model coupled with combat, skinning, perhaps even meat acquisition. I note that WoW does have a setting to reduce or increase the amount, I couldn't say how easy it would be for us to do that, but I don't suppose SoA's minimum will be as low as WoW's (which seems to be no gore at all).
  8. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    I think SoA should be as gory as it needs to be, though I think excessive or unrealistic gore would hurt the 'realism' factor.
  9. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    For sure, we won't do anything excessive. We do have to be mindful that not everyone likes gore too, so while the default will likely be some "realistic" amount, there will likely be settings to reduce it.
  10. Dysche

Dysche Intern Programmer

• Dev Member
    Welcome to the team!

*kuch* About a week ago. :p
  11. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

I mean, you guys aren't developing a title for the Doom series, but I wouldn't be opposed to insane amounts of gore, provided options are available to tone it down.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    Gingy, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited by Gingy; at Jul 10, 2015
  12. Sevio

Sevio Back Into Space

There is gore in WoW in some places, mainly used for story purposes in quests dealing with the undead or some savagely evil faction. But it's not a standard thing for dying players / enemies to explode into a gruesome mess of gibblets, and when it is used it's left slightly abstract (possibly also due to its cartoony nature). That's all fine as far as I'm concerned, but I'd rather avoid being forced to watch someone being ripped apart in gruesome detail.
  13. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    Hmm, well the volumetric damage system will mean that individual voxels on a model can be damaged and destroyed. By the nature of that there will be some gore, but blood pouring out and organs flying everywhere isn't necessary. We will no doubt have a blood particle system, but a setting to reduce/deactivate it seems very reasonable. As for organs, we will be modelling them in the voxel models for damage calculations, and they will be specified via voxels, though whether we do anything further with them is to be determined - it doesn't seem too necessary to do so.
    In terms of how often these things will be seen, that would depend on how you play the game within the sandbox - where you go, what you do. Within the story, we will only actively introduce gore in specific scenes where it tells you something about that scene or the game as a whole. Of course, your play-style in the story could bring about more (again the sandbox nature of the game).
  14. MichaelH

MichaelH Writer

• Dev Member
    If I cannot go into this voxel game, kill voxel-people, remove their organs, and craft them into decorations for my frontier hut, then what are we even doing here?
    </s>
    Benjamin, Jpr and PsychoticLeprechaun like this.
  15. Sevio

Sevio Back Into Space

Fair enough, it is a bit early to tell what the exact impact is going to be for generic combat. Having a choice in the matter with respect to story decisions is definitely a good thing, imo. :)
    Jpr and PsychoticLeprechaun like this.
  16. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    Since were totally off topic and talking about gore on this thread, I'll weigh in too! We want the game to feel real, so were going timplement gore with that in mind. Too much and it breaks the immersion, too little and it's just not gritty enough to feel real. Adding an option to disable blood would be trivial, and we could probably also have an option to disable dismemberment, (but by default they shall be on!)
  17. ColdFuseon

ColdFuseon Lost in Space

• Contributor
    Awesome, dismemberment ! HEAUEHAEUAHEAUEAHEAUH
    Potatocat likes this.
  18. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

Once I'm confident enough with Lua and the blood/gore mechanics are in the game, I will make a mod for you that allows you to kill voxel people, remove their organs, and craft them into decorations for your frontier hut.
  19. Xion

Xion Industrial Re-revolutionist

I feel the Seed of Andromeda universe could have plenty of fantasy to offer. It may only be portrayed through visual aesthetic such as landscapes and atmosphere as opposed to biological and cultural reference, but the fantasy could most certainly be there. :)
    Potatocat likes this.
  20. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    RIP AND TEAR
    RIP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS
    YOU ARE BIG! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE BIG GUTS!
    Potatocat likes this.