1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Micro/marco-blocks

Discussion in 'Mod Requests' started by Gingy, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

I would love something like this and feel some of the more meticulous builders of this game would also like this idea. I know 50cm³ is somewhat small, especially compared to Minecraft's 1m³, but there are ludicrous possibilities with, say, a 25cm³ block, or maybe even as small as 10cm³. Also, for clarity sake, marco-blocks are, for lack of a better term, larger blocks, such as the infamous Minecraft sized block
  2. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    I do believe there will be a way to place in 1mx1m blocks in the future for building. As for other sizes - a mod would be very cool for all micro-blocks people want to play with, but popular macro-blocks could be easily supported in the vanilla game!
  3. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    We are going to be using some kind of micro-block system for crafting items, so perhaps an ingenious modder could use this to his advantage!
  4. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

If the process of teaching myself C++ goes well and no one is able to, I may just make such a mod :3 It seems like something that wouldn't be too terribly complex, but most of my programming knowledge is currently only in Java.
  5. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

The scripting of the game is likely to be made on Lua, btw.
    tetryds, May 22, 2014
    Last edited by tetryds; at May 22, 2014
  6. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

I'm sorry if this sounds really stupid, I'm far from an expert when it comes to programming, but could you not mod it by editing the source code? I was under the impression that modding is typically editing and adding to the source code.
  7. tetryds

AFAIK that's illegal.
    The game will have mod support, from what I have heard it's going to be very simple and easy to use.
    The mods will be loaded and applied into the game by the game itself.
  8. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

...so what people are doing to mod Minecraft is illegal?
  9. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    Yeah, this is something all potential modders should note; while the game engine will be written in C++, game mechanics will be scripted in Lua (where there isn't a performance issue that would make it necessary to be shifted in to C++) and all modders will be working with Lua.

The reason for this is simple. Simplicity; throwing in an extra file that instantly modifies game behaviour, the same way a modification to the actual game executable would work, but with the added ease of removing it (and also being able to have more than one active mod at once) makes using a scripting system much more feasible.

What people do to Minecraft is condoned by Mojang, but not outright supported. It just isn't the best way to mod a game, it just so happens that Minecraft (up until the promised Mod API is released) does not support any modding method explicitly, which means the only effective way to mod Minecraft is neither easy for the modders nor users.
  10. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

Well, now that I've seen this, it actually does make a lot more sense to design modding the way that SOA is going to. I really hope that Minecraft can get things sorted out with their API since it sounds like they're condoning something that is not legal. I find it really ironic that this is the case because what got me into programing, as sad as it may be to admit this, was an interest in modding Minecraft. Fortunately, it was not the only reason, so I might take up modding SOA when it gets to the point that it can be done. It just means that now I have a third item to add to my list of programming languages to learn e.e
  11. tetryds

No worry, you won't be arrested by modding minecraft.
    The guys that makes the modding stuff like Bukkit or mod loaders are the ones messing up.
    And nothing will happen to them either, because if Mojang ever dare threat them the game would be ruined forever.
  12. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    Basically, Mojang allow you to modify the game in almost any way to create useful mods (including the server jar). But they don't themselves provide a method, it isn't that decompiling the Minecraft.jar and editing it is inherently illegal, but it is something a lot of game developers dislike users doing, as well as users disliking doing it because of the added effort. So the ideal is for the developer to provide tools for modding, as most do!
  13. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

Fair enough. I personally wouldn't mind decompiling and editing because I don't mind delving into the code, but it can be an issue to leave your code out there for everyone so I completely understand not wanting to have that be the soul method for it. My interest in that method may make me skeptical to what the devs may do, but I have confidence in them to the extent that it's quite possible I will still like it.
  14. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    Garry's Mod is a perfect example of this. People can make awesome stuff with only the power of Lua.
  15. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

Ah, the power of Prop Hunt and Murder. I'd imagine there's more to the mod that I haven't seen yet, but I never quite could figure out Garry's Mod when I was playing it. Perhaps if and when I learn Lua, it will make more sense to me, or at the very least allow me to make something of it.