1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microblocks and Voxel Engineering/Block Gravity

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by ThatOneGuy, Jun 6, 2014.

1. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy Reinvented The Wheel

What happens when you through a block in the air? It falls down.
    Now what happens when this happens?
    Wood = "="
    = = = = = = = = = = = =
    =
    It falls down.

Henceforth, blocks affected by gravity.

Now, using this same principle, you could have block-made levers and gears that work to make something previously impossible for the player to do on his/her own. Now, you don't put 9 items into a crafting table to make an engine or a furnace. If we could create custom voxel based machinery out of microblocks, now that would set SOA apart from all other games.
  2. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    It would indeed be very nice to have custom block made machinery. Don't see what the blocks affected by gravity part has to do with it. But yes, being able to make your very own voxel steam engine would be very fun and would add a lot. Though it may risk putting off players who do not have the knowledge necessary to build them. We shall have to see.
  3. ThatOneGuy

The inclusion of block gravity was just my laziness and not wanting to start another post. As long as it's simple machinery, I don't think it would put off too many players, as all it would require to gain the knowledge to build it is a quick googles search. But maybe if there was some type of blueprint in the PDA that the player could refer to?
  4. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    We would like to utilise methods, where possible (hopefully that means everywhere), so that the player never needs to go online for any vanilla game mechanics or technologies. Obviously whether that applies to mods is down to each individual mod author, but I am sure we would provide tools so that they can utilise the methods we also intend to use (such as PDA blueprints, research methods, trading and communication), making it as easy as possible for them to do so. So our end hope is that for the player to be able to play the game without ever needing to resort to a wiki, via in-game mechanics to develop the player's understanding of what is possible via those methods I previously mentioned (and others, such as exploration of ruins, crash sites and so on) which would be actual game mechanics that would be interesting to players, rather than just "oh a steam engine is possible, here's how:" which, if it was just that, would be no better than a wiki.

On the topic of actual small voxel-based machinery, that is a very interesting concept, and I think one we would definitely like to explore!
    PsychoticLeprechaun, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited by PsychoticLeprechaun; at Jun 7, 2014
  5. ThatOneGuy

Seed of Andromeda could be used as an educational tool!
  6. scarere

scarere <Battle Scarred Jesus>

As for the "methods", maybe you could have like a holographic blue print that the player places where they want to build the furnace or whatever. And then after they place, it shows them what block to place by maybe showing a picture of that block on the PDA. Also it would only show the section that the player is currently building, this would be good for larger blueprints. Also, players could maybe create their own blueprints by scanning structures they've already created, they could then give these blueprints to NPC's as building instructions when they hire them.

I realize part of this idea is a little confusing, expecially the whole part about only showing the section they are building, but it's kinda hard to explain. If anyone is completly lost, i can have another go at it
  7. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    Haha, I doubt many schools would appreciate that sentiment! :p

Don't worry, I get what you mean (I think, I could of course be just hugely mistaken), the idea of showing the blueprints a chunk at a time (perhaps? a chunk isn't so big) on screen would be an interesting one, in the case of saved blue prints of a large scale, showing them in parts could definitely be a good way to not make the player cry at the scale of the thing they wish to build. Giving blueprints to NPCs within a building instruction is something I can definitely see being in the game, as it is one of the easiest ways to get NPCs to construct player-designed buildings/multi-block processors.
  8. scarere

scarere <Battle Scarred Jesus>

guess I explained it better than I thought
  9. ThatOneGuy

Well, if this would be implemented, I bet it would be a tad more useful in the classroom then minecraft.edu :)
  10. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    Perhaps we should get together and make an SoA mod that makes all things in the game completely realistic; Teach kids first aid, physics, engineering, geography, chemistry...
  11. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    That is true! :D
  12. ThatOneGuy

Haha, SoA will be a educational masterpiece
  13. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

Yeah, try to explain how the hologram from the PDA works to a kid!
    lol.

Anyway, it seems a lot more right to have SOA as a teaching tool than minecraft.

Also think it would be important to mention that SOA will count with Bullet Physics engine, which allows for blocks unlocked from the grid and be physically interactive!
    (google it for more info)
  14. ThatOneGuy

Sweet!!!
  15. Agarthan

Agarthan Reinvented The Wheel

Multi-block craftable entities that use micro blocks in the crafting. I like that idea. May be instead of being so free form these specialized blocks that you craft from micro blocks are then used in a larger interactive multi block entity. So for example to craft a basic vehicle engine it must be built with micro blocks in another multiblock interface like a 'mass fabrication unit' or something. Once you've built that and other multi block parts in the mass fabrication unit, you move them over to the assembly matrix interface, another system where you piece together all the single block parts (engine chasse, etc) into the multi block entity which then becomes the vehicle. Something like that, give or take.
  16. tetryds

Yes, but it's yet being decided wether this should apply to everything or you should base yourself mainly in blueprints.
    Because it's very hard to simulate an engine and define its characteristics and how well it's going to work for any possible shape or form.
    While it's simpler to have a blueprint or a base engine which you modify, changing it's characteristics on a predictable manner.
    That's the challenge regarding Matt's crafting concepts, and the one which I tried to work around/avoid when suggesting my own crafting methods.
    Would be good to see another inputs on that.
    tetryds, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited by tetryds; at Jun 12, 2014
  17. Agarthan

Agarthan Reinvented The Wheel

I think that was kind of the point for the 'mass fabrication unit' it would lay out bluprints for you to build the micro blocks into functional multi blocks or something to that effect.
  18. tetryds

You will probably be able to make a machine to build it for you, or hire NPCs to do so.
  19. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    This is definitely a way that it could work, I don't know if we'd make the player build up all the major components from the raw materials, or if we would have an intermediate stage where, say, the player crafts smaller, simpler parts such as pistons (which could perhaps be their own block) and then puts those together - reducing the amount of complexity at each stage of the construction. I think that it could definitely work within the system of displaying a mesh of how each component should normally look, and the player could then modify it. Tetryds brings up a good point that allowing the player to modify the shape of certain components would mean that it couldn't reasonably work in the system, so for those cases, we could make it so that either the player cannot modify their shape, or that doing so would result in a broken part.
    PsychoticLeprechaun, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited by PsychoticLeprechaun; at Jun 13, 2014
  20. tetryds

The broken part idea seems interesting, but it caps off the customized part concept.
    Maybe there should be places and limits to where a part could be added and how would it affect the item, for all other parts it would be considered broken.
    So for instance adding more radiators to an engine would affect its effectiveness, but adding a part to the explosion chamber would turn it unusable.
    The system could be made so every other combination of the parts wont be affected by these extra spots, or even allow them but turn the part unusable for that specific mounting (which would be a bit more complex player-wise).
    So you cannot add blocks between gear teeth, but on the top of it, though some mountings which require it to be close to another gear would not be possible because of that.
    Or maybe just make this level of freedom smaller the more basic the part is.
    tetryds, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited by tetryds; at Jun 13, 2014