1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mods like FTB

Discussion in 'Mod Requests' started by MikeBender1972, Mar 6, 2014.

1. MikeBender1972

MikeBender1972 Crash Landed

I was just wondering if I was the only person thinking of this but what if, when this game gets even more stable and has survival, there could be mods for it like Minecraft does, maybe even something like the FTB launcher that I use and I know a lot of people on here use, even the devs! It was just something that interested me and I wanted to know other peoples thoughts on it. I think that this game has a great future ahead and it could become just as big as Minecraft did!
  2. Tikon

Tikon Sexy Pizza Eating Dwarf (*^3^)/~☆

Since the game is nowhere near being finished (maybe not for another year, more) we won't exactly know what to make mods for. There are so many ideas floating around at the moment, that the devs are really taking into account what everyone is saying, and most likely debating what and how to add these features to the game later on. Maybe after the game finishes alpha, someone will come up with a great, new idea that they will mod into the game, but as of now, it is only in alpha. Though similar is some aspects to minecraft and KSP, I truly believe Seed Of Andromeda, will be a one-of-a-kind video game. Mike, if you think of any great ideas be sure to tell us, we love everyone's new ideas, especially debating with them!
  3. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    Since this game will primarily be sci-fi and futuristic, mods will probably entail things like magic or more vehicles or guns. Tech mods like IC2, BC3, TE, etc. probably won't be seen as much, as these will be what the game is designed around.
  4. MikeBender1972

True, the game will probably already have the things in it like IC2, BC3, and TE, for it will be a futuristic style game. But if it doesn't get something like that it would be nice to see mods that add, for example, nuclear reactors, Computers (Maybe ME style), or even something like bibliocraft for organization. It would be nice to see the extreme possibilities of this game for it seems to be more stable than Java!
  5. Tikon

Tikon Sexy Pizza Eating Dwarf (*^3^)/~☆

The reason why we can't confirm is because they might.make it itno the game to begin with. The game is to young to tell right now
  6. MikeBender1972

Yeah, once the game gets further, we can tell if the mods will even be needed. This could be the game that doesn't need a FTB launcher to be futuristic! The possibilities with a voxel based game are endless.
  7. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    The possibilities are indeed endless! I would say that there will be assuredly mod packs, but I am not sure if mod packs will need their own launcher - if our launcher ends up being capable of it, we may see that the mod packs are supported and distributed in the launcher, as well as mods themselves.
  8. MikeBender1972

I would like to see that, a game launcher that advertises different mods and mod packs from different makers and if you want them just download them, open the mod section of your game and toss the mods in, with no need for something that is annoying like forge mod loader for Minecraft!
  9. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    Indeed! Where MC was built top down, meaning they have all sorts of issues with their old code, SoA will be built bottom up to support modding as fully as possible from the get go. Should really help the game promote modding.
  10. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

I don't think that a modloader or a modpack will be required that much.
    The reason they use it on minecraft is because its a pain to install mods on it.
    SOA will have mod support, and it might end up pretty much like KSP.
    There, "modpacks" arent really a file but a list people make to tell which mods they find that fit together.
    When entering a server it would be nice to have a sort of mod port so you would get the required mods from ingame and load them for that server.
    So, let's see how it ends up.
    Either way, I heavily believe that modpacks won't be usefull here.
  11. Danijel

Danijel Overclocked

The only use for modpacks will be to install more at once? Maybe a nice mod combo that deserved it's own name, which is esentially a folder with more mods, which is completely optional.
  12. tetryds

Since mods requires licences, having a combo under a name would be kinda complicated.
    You would have to ask permission for every of them just to do that.
    Whilist its a lot easier to just link them, since mods are meant to be drag-and-drop or even easier than that to install.
  13. Causeless

Causeless narcissistic, machiavellian and sadistic

There could still be inevitable clashes though - for example, 2 mods that heavily change the energy system might not work together, or the same for damage modifications.
  14. MikeBender1972

I believe so too in a way. If the devs listen to what the community wants, hint hint, then there will be no need for mods/modpacks because all of the things we want will already be in the game from the get go. But for the people that want the game to have just that little bit more then there should be mod support for that, which it looks like there will!
  15. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    I will have to be the bearer of bad news then Mike! Unfortuantely not all features requested by the community will be able to go into the game, as all 'vanilla' features need to fit into the survivalistic, adventurous and scary theme of SoA (yes, SoA will be scary! You won't want to walk about at night without a light source, I promise you!). That said, I would say that we will offer most technological features in existence, and more, in the base game, as that is what SoA aspires to be! A technologically advanced human race exploring* the galaxy(s)! Magic, however, could be a neat little addition in the form of mods (I'm not convinced that SoA will end up with such things in the base game), I look forward to the mods that may come forth should that be the case. As for mod packs, while you would require permission of the mod authors to put the mod into a mod pack, I'm sure we could encourage modders to adopt the Creative Commons Attribution-None-Commercial license for their mods. That ways others would be allowed to utilise the mod in mod packs without risk as long as the mod pack was freely available and the author of the mod in question fully credited with their work.
  16. MikeBender1972

Oh great, a scary game!XD I'm just kidding, uh, YEAH! But I can understand, it would be just about impossible to fit everything in that the community wants, but it would be nice to see as much of it as possible. Anyway, this game looks like it is going to be great and I can't wait until another update comes along! I will try to support this game as much as I can because it seems to me it is going in a direction I like. Besides, a little bit of scary is what I need in my new games!
  17. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    Don't worry about the scary! I'm sure we will provide ample opportunity to come up with ways to avoid, or conquer, the scary!
  18. MikeBender1972

Good, as long as we can look in the face of scary and laugh when we have our advanced weapons and such!
  19. tetryds

Deppending on where you are then.
    I don't want this game to end, at lest tech you will be scared of other things (the thing(s?) that made you crash).
  20. MikeBender1972

OH NO! NOT THE THING! XD get the petri dishes and the razer blades out! XD