1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Asset Pack?

Discussion in 'Asset Packs' started by PsychoticLeprechaun, Apr 19, 2014.

1. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    • This thread is on behalf of the Seed of Andromeda Development Team!
    Hello there!

Are you creating, or have created, a new asset pack? If so, you should create a resource in the "Resources" section of the forums, where users can download your pack, and you can keep on top of all updates you create - as well as have a page of your own to dedicate to your pack. When you create such a resource, a thread will be automatically generated here for your use in communicating with the community about future updates, or just generally hear their wonderful compliments!

If you make an incredible asset pack that is super popular then you may get a nod from the devs, either in the form of a community spotlight, or even a request from the dev team requesting if we could use it in the vanilla game. Such things come with rewards of course. If your asset pack makes it in to the vanilla game, you will get the "Contributor" rank on the forums - which comes with a golden in-forum ribbon, a golden forum name and many privileges such as higher quality avatar uploads, larger signatures and so on, and of course you get your name in the credits of the game!

So why not try your hand at creating an asset pack?

Looking forward to see what you produce!

The Seed of Andromeda Dev Team!
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    PsychoticLeprechaun, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited by PsychoticLeprechaun; at Jan 25, 2015
  2. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

Will be making and fine tuning planets and flora as soon as its not insane anymore!
    I like the idea of SoA allowing and encouraging high moddability of the game, it also makes easier to fit to everyone's taste.
  3. ColdFuseon

ColdFuseon Lost in Space

• Contributor
    Will maybe update my custom planets pack when the World Editor will be out!
  4. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    I've already made one! Go check it out!
  5. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

I'm thinking of making an "asset pack" for the block textures. I may add more to it than just the blocks, but a lot of this idea isn't quite set in stone yet. Presuming there isn't any complication that arises, there will be variations of the pack from as low as 32x all the way to 512x. I'm going with a style that's more realistic, but still has some artistic effect to it. I may also make a lighter, more vivid, and gritty and dark variation of the pack. Unfortunately, I don't have as much time as I would like to make this pack, so if I decide to do this, it may take awhile. I'm hoping to at the very least finish one or two textures a day.
  6. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    Do it! The SoA menu automatically creates different resolutions for you up to the maximum resolution you create, so if you make a 512x512 texture pack, you don't need to worry about any of the smaller resolutions!
  7. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

I'm glad to hear that :) My main concern was that I wasn't sure if the current system for the pack would allow for anything higher than 256x or if that was just the resolution that the devs decided on.
  8. tetryds

Fact: there is no performance difference between running 256x or 32x, at all.
    tetryds, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited by tetryds; at Jul 13, 2014
  9. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

At the very least, not in SOA. Other games which we must never speak of have significant performance dips between 32x and 256x textuers, especially when you computer has a low ammount of RAM.
  10. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    Yeah, higher resolution texture packs would have a performance impact only if you blew your VRAM capacity which, with the number of textures used by the game right now, seems unlikely. Whereas, with games such as Minecraft, it seems much more likely that with only a 1GB VRAM capacity, you could quickly exceed that and so get drops in FPS.
  11. tetryds

Another fact: even running SOA on a 32x texture pack its 2x more than minecraft default.
    SOA packs will always have 4x more detail for the block being smaller.
    Also, x64 will come.
  12. Cristian Zaloj

Cristian Zaloj Game Programmer

• Dev Member
    Hehehe... very soon.
    Cristian Zaloj, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited by Cristian Zaloj; at Jan 17, 2015