1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New PC advice

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Lionitow, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Lionitow

Lionitow Reinvented The Wheel

Hi guys,
    it has been several months since I've started thinking about a gaming rig upgrade.

After many researches and browsing, I sticked up to this build, which was originally suggested to me by @PsychoticLeprechaun (who I thank) and has ended being my favorite of all the builds I've seen.

What do you think of it? Are there any other builds with similar price (€600) I should give a look to?

About the lack of the OS: I've seen that on sites like Kinguin they sell Win 10 keys for €15 and they seem to be safe purchases, so...

Regarding sound card, is it necessary? Does it improve sound quality in gaming an evident way? Being pretty much into music (I play the bass) is it recommendable for me to have one?
  2. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    I won't speak to if the build is the best (it's still the best I know of for budget-but-awesome) for the price any more, as I'm no longer on top of the latest builds on offer. However, I can give some advice about soundcards: they are useless if you have a USB headphone set. Solutions that are external to the rig (like USB headphones or full audio stacks with a proper amp etc.) are my preference as they're easy to swap out, and use on multiple rigs - though USB variations of a headset tend to be a bit more expensive than the 3.5mm jack variation. As for speakers, it depends on your needs, but in all honesty, having owned a rig with and a rig without a soundcard, if you don't need perfect quality then onboard sound will be fine.

Considering your specific needs: a USB headset is probably best for gaming (the more channels the better, but of course 5.1 and 7.1 tend to cost more than the standard stereo). For music, stereo 3.5mm headphones will be better with a dedicated external amplifier that you can attach whichever instruments you need to via whatever tech you use.
    PsychoticLeprechaun, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited by PsychoticLeprechaun; at Feb 13, 2016
    Lionitow likes this.
  3. Lionitow

Guess no need of a sound card then . I was just unsure about it being necessary to hear stuff :rolleyes:
  4. TYHENDER

TYHENDER Industrial Re-revolutionist

Sorry for bumping old thread,but heck you should NOT use Windows 10. I
    NeonSturm likes this.
  5. Lionitow

Mmmh why? Currently I'm using 8 btw.
    Lionitow, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited by Lionitow; at Jun 27, 2016
  6. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Personally quite a fan of Windows 10. The only two issues I've had with it are the forced updates (just damn inconvenient when you're in the middle of work and your computer decides it needs to restart) and an issue I caused myself. I kinda nuked my registry by playing about with it, and so now the start menu's search functionality is somewhat broken - though works for application searching which is all I really need. I also nuked my environment PATH variable, but that was not too hard to fix.

So basically my issues are all summed up as Windows isn't Linux. :p
    Lionitow likes this.
  7. TYHENDER

TYHENDER, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited by TYHENDER; at Jun 27, 2016
    NeonSturm likes this.
  8. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

If you don't care about the spyware controversy (and being there's a program out that prevents those bits of the OS from functioning, I don't blame you), you may care about people who have had problems with driver support after upgrading. The OS also uses considerably more resources than their requirements imply. One thing in particular that's annoying is the RAM usage is WAY higher than was implied, but most people have at least 8GB today, so it probably won't be an issue for you. The thing that I would be concerned about is the CPU, given that this thing has a Pentium G 3258.

That CPU is fine for most games, but a lot of newer games will wreck that CPU, because everyone and their mother has apparently ramped up CPU requirements for games in 2015 and 2016. Based on my own attempts at overclocking this same CPU, it's not going to make a ton of difference. I'd actually be concerned about heat with this one, because when I tried to overclock my own by about 300Mhz, it reached 70c in about 20 minutes of playing Dying Light. It may not be nearly as bad, since you would have an ATX case, but that was just a 300Mhz overclock. 4.2Ghz is an entire gigahert higher.
  9. NeonSturm

NeonSturm Back Into Space

What is a good PC and what not depends on how you use it.
    - not everybody cares about good sound.
    - peoples without clear view (or blind peoples) don't care about graphic cards.
    - those who upgrade parts of their PCs and use a lot of USB-devices need an extensible motherboard.
    - those who tweak a lot may run more applications on different CPUs and need more L2-cache and fast ram-modules, while others may do with cheaper ram and prefer a better graphics card instead.
    - hard drive capacity differs a lot. I need 500-1000 GB since a few years, but 100-200 was sufficient when I had to deinstall one game to install another on my Pentiun-3 and before I started to have videos.

Using Win10?
    1. Accept Microsoft as your new God-Emperor
    2. If Microsoft decides to delete your hard-drive (after creating a cloud-backup to which they hold the key) because your behaviour is suspicious, you are forced to live under US-law, even as German, Russian or whatever. No country would dare to anger Microsoft (Article: Skynet is real).
    3. Accept Microsoft as law-maker (license), executor (cut you from social life) and curt (a non-human skynet) in one person.

Software should be like a tree:
    - the roots are your hardware
    - the bole is your operating system
    - the branches are free software
    - the leafs are artwork and proprietary software running in a sandbox.
    These leafs are sold to public use and forfeit any legal protection afterward when they are not leaves anymore. The proprietary part shouldn't act as footpads or gate-keepers for any third-party content (and this includes the contribution of online playing peoples).

Windows in clear-text: PAY US. You won't get to play any "Games for Windows" without paying and obeying us.
  10. TYHENDER

Haha,neon,so true!
    In fact i dont know how those 10% of people using Windows 10 use their computers. (Oh,and yeah,59% of people use Windows 7).
  11. Lionitow

A chunk of MS service agreement:

"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to: 1.comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies; 2.protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone; 3.operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or 4.protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services – however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer’s private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement."

Indeed scary, but it seems you can get rid of much of that control by modifying settings.

However I've decided to restart my PC build from scratch, having passed almost a year and having many things changed.

This is what I have so far: http://it.pcpartpicker.com/list/LC6jZ8 (all is €600-630)

How does it look? Is it balanced? Can it be improved?

I rushed a bit the power supply, cooler and MoBO as I can't really tell the difference and I went for the cheaper ones, also I don't know if it is worth to spend another €40 on 60/120 GB SSD or to spend €60 on a 1T hybrid.
    For the sake of longevity (which I value particularly) many articles online recommend DDR4, yet this would dismount the build, just as adopting intel CPU which are always recommended, even if on the paper inferior to way cheaper AMD's but I dunno.
    joppiesaus likes this.
  12. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

You don't really need DDR4 for something like this. Hell, you might be able to get away with lower quality RAM, but I wouldn't recommend you go any lower on that. I also wouldn't recommend a hybrid drive. As a friend of mine put it one time: "Think about it: You've got two pieces of hardware that could potentially fail in one."

Generally, Intel is significantly better than AMD, but that particular AMD chip is good enough that you won't have any problems. Depending on your budget, you're much better off with that than the Intel equivalent. Heat is usually a problem for people with AMD's FX line of processors, but the CPU cooler you picked is good enough you shouldn't have to worry about that. The only thing you'll have to worry about with this particular build is the power supply.

The fact that there's only a 70w difference between what the parts use and what the power supply is capable of means that your power supply won't be able to keep up as long as others might. A power supply tends to slowly degrade in quality over the years. That's why people usually try to aim for the closest their budget will allow to having the wattage be half of what the power supply will output. (In your case, those parts output ~350w, so the ideal power supply for you would have either 600 or 700w. Don't worry, though. A 500w should work well enough in your case, and 500w power supplies tend to be almost the same price as 430w ones.)

Finally, I really like the case you chose. It looks like it's really well designed in the sense that it fits ATX sized parts, but looks like it's only a little bit bigger than an mATX case.
    Gingy, Sep 2, 2016
    Last edited by Gingy; at Sep 2, 2016
    joppiesaus and Lionitow like this.
  13. Lionitow

No hybrid and re evaluate the supply then. Thanks
    :)
  14. TYHENDER

Indeed scary, but it seems you can get rid of much of that control by modifying settings.
    Actually,i saw confidency setting in Win10,and i can say for sure,you can't disable all the spying.
    Mostly you can only tell Win10 that you do want to be spied only by Microsoft.