1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New server

Discussion in 'Servers and Communities' started by zeroinnocent, Sep 3, 2014.

1. zeroinnocent

zeroinnocent Tester

• Tester
    Was thinking it migth be time to plan a server that we could impliment AS Soon AS the game gets multiplayer. First Of all we need somone to host the server and maintain it. Was thinking Of it to be a close server simular to the mine crakserver in Minecraft. Iam started with some youtube work and i heard a lot Of other players have startet doing some youtube work at This game. So what better than to have a all the youtubers in one server.
  2. Arpak

Arpak Moderator - Former CM

At the moment we do have a plan to have an official public server, as the numbers grow we might have to limit it somehow, Jeremy has an absolutely BEASTLY rig for a server, like 24 or 48 cores and 128gb of ram or something.
  3. zeroinnocent

zeroinnocent Tester

• Tester
    That sound nice but i was thinking about a closed server to. To limitet amount of people, cause there wil be to much spam
  4. Arpak

Arpak Moderator - Former CM

Well I doubt it would, since the planet is a 1:1 scale and you most likely would never see anyone else... The chat would probably be limited some how, but thats something to find out in the future.
  5. zeroinnocent

zeroinnocent Tester

• Tester
    Yea but whats good with privat servers is that you can decide who is allowed to play. Others can play on open servers and other cloosed servers. This server is for people who want to work together to build and explore the planet.also to makw comunity builds without beeing Woried about random people destroing it. They can go to open servers and destroi it there
  6. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

zero, there were countless talks about this, I don't think you should be worried just because of that.
    In any case, scan it and save a blueprint.
  7. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    So, we the long running and dedicated members of the soa community get to play on a big cool server together with mechs and nukes? Cool!
    zeroinnocent likes this.
  8. zeroinnocent

zeroinnocent Tester

• Tester
    yea basically. building the / wonders of soa on the server=D
  9. Snipecoolbunny

Snipecoolbunny Back Into Space

i think there should be a single server until enough people get into the game.

you could have global and party chat.
    it would be much better than one standard chatbox.
  10. Arctic

• Tester
    You do realize that people can simply make their own servers, right? It's like Minecraft. We're just talking about an "Official" server, one run by us, for us.

There will be a chat system involving radios, distances, etc.
    There will most certainly NOT EVER EVER EWW EWW ARRGHHH PJIOLEGHOI£GHOHI£AGOIHPQY"£()Y"Q£T w3t4hoi9qw3rtho9p 0uy9qr£££ be a global or party "Chatbox".
  11. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Arctic, that can't be said for sure; we like giving options, and part of that is likely to be an option for a server to not follow the realism standards that are aimed for in the default game. Thus, we may well implement something like this for those servers. That said, multiplayer is such a long off thing that we haven't spent too much time considering the ins and outs of multiplayer-specific features.
  12. Jpr

Jpr Industrial Re-revolutionist

Hmm. Global, I don't like. Party, the game needs, as people WILL cheat with skype. I think comm tech should be more focused on NPC's. while letting you talk to people you don't know OOC.
  13. Shashwah

Shashwah Tester

• Tester
    I'm looking forward to the idea of Seed Of Andromeda having a public server for everyone, it would be good for everyone to be able to work together without having to host their own servers especially since some would only have PC's powerful enough to just run the game itself. It'll be fun for everyone to work on the one server.
  14. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    The idea of just one public server is a very unscalable one unfortunately - due to the limited resources available even to us. Which means it will only be feasible as long as the community is small. That said, as long as it is possible, I'm sure we'll maintain a public server for people to play together on!

As for after it becomes less feasible for everyone to be able to join it, we may just have to find ways of limiting it.
    PsychoticLeprechaun, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited by PsychoticLeprechaun; at Mar 31, 2015
  15. Jpr

Jpr Industrial Re-revolutionist

DIBS! CALLED IT! I GOT A SLOT! :D
  16. Snipecoolbunny

Snipecoolbunny Back Into Space

Me too!
  17. Arctic

• Tester
    Auto-dibs'd it!
  18. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

Bringing this thread back from yesterday is worthy of calling total dibs on a slot, right? :)
  19. Shashwah

Shashwah Tester

• Tester
    Oh keep in mind I am aware of one single server for everyone being quite problematic, I used the terms I did as a collective term. I just look forward to the idea of servers for SOA, especially large servers. I apologise for the confusion.
    PsychoticLeprechaun likes this.
  20. Danarkivus-2

Danarkivus-2 Back Into Space

i call dips for a spot on the sever.