1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New wooden Model Stuff & some others

Discussion in 'Model Contributions' started by Gilzokha, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    Aw man... These are excellent...
  2. ColdFuseon

ColdFuseon Lost in Space

• Contributor
    Really good job. I'm impressed. Especially with the iron door.
  3. Sir_Moodz

Sir_Moodz Lord of Andromeda

• Contributor
    You should use normal maps on these models to keep the detail but greatly reduce polygons, also for blocks normal maps could be very good, I hope it will be added to the game.
  4. Arctic

• Tester
    I hear that normal maps are a YES.
  5. Xion

Xion Industrial Re-revolutionist

How do you use normal maps with block modeling? Serious question.
  6. Arpak

Arpak Moderator - Former CM

I don't know about normal mapping for the 3D models, since we are giving them a fair amount of detail as is. Adding normal maps to the equation would probably make it look wierd.

However, I do know that blocks will have normal maps.
    Thomas988 and joppiesaus like this.
  7. Arctic

• Tester
    Since the resolution of textures probably won't surpass the resolution of the voxel models, normal mapping on models would probably look really weird. On blocks, though...
  8. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

I'm liking where the weapon variety is going. Sure, this doesn't look like a lot on it's own, but this is just wooden weapons. If this is how many weapons are wooden alone, there's probably going to be a satisfying level of variety. :3

As for the models themselves, I think you've hit the nail on the head. You've managed to pull off immense detail for such a low resolution.
  9. NeonSturm

NeonSturm Back Into Space

What about weapons + items made out of mini-blocks?
    That way, players could design their own.

Just imagine a sword with custom weight distribution, length and skill-based hit velocity.

I really like the models, but it would be even more awesome to have textures mixed and generated by shaders so that every door looks a bit different.
    Different scratches dependent on damage, ...
    I've seen some noise-based shader that makes really good wood (the page-link is inside SoA's Gas-Giant blog page).

I am interested how damage will be handled for each texture.
    Perhaps it is increasing difficult to remove scratches? Perhaps you can ever only repair to 90% of full hp without replacing it? (and a few scratches remain)
  10. Xion

I just watched someone play Cube World on Twitch.tv and they had a system of adding your own elements to your weapons. I couldn't tell if it was purely cosmetic or if it gave increased stats, but it was a single sub-block that you could place anywhere on the item. I don't know how rare these blocks where; if they were exclusive to gear cosmetic/stat upgrades, or if they were used for more.
  11. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

I could be wrong, as it's been awhile since I've seen anything on Cube World, but I thought I remember more custom blocks equating to more damage dealt in Cube World. I would hope that if SoA implemented a system like that, that it would be less crude than that. Sure, bigger weapons could mean more damage, but they would also mean more weight. Some balancing elements could make this an amazing system.
    NeonSturm likes this.
  12. Xion

I feel like there could be a great deal of depth to a modular weapon system. Having a base weapon and being able to add attachments as you please, like different sights, grips, and stocks that have varying stat changes. It would be pretty easy to implement something like this due to voxel based models.

I also find the idea of crafting your own weapon parts to be very appealing. Needing to find rare ores and eventually requiring to leave your current planet for different materials for crafting better weapons, both held weapons and vehicle/space weapons. Some attachments may only fit one type of weapon, and others may fit a variety of weapons such as a motion sensor like in Alien.

On a side note, I want to touch on the topic of the current state of explosives. Will explosives always be blocks, or will some, if not all, eventually have models once an inventory system is implemented?
    Gingy likes this.
  13. Arctic

• Tester
    There will probably be C4, dynamite, grenades, rocket launchers and other handheld explosives.
  14. adgamer64

adgamer64 Crash Landed

XD this is absolutely amazing. I just started making voxel models; I made some simple bows i was gonna post then i saw these XD. they are fantastic.