1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Man's Sky - Failed because hyped

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by TYHENDER, Aug 12, 2016.

?

NMS is a cool game overall?

1. Yes

75.0%
  2. Totally

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. This game is a piece of art

25.0%
  4. This game is a piece of sh*t

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TYHENDER

TYHENDER Industrial Re-revolutionist

Said enough. So many negative reviews on steam. Personally i like the game(even that i playedit only 20 mins when writing this thread) BUT I LIKED IT. I saw so many people saying that game is crashing,when NMS WAS NOT OUT YET.
    Yes,there's not too much gameplay. WHAT DID YOU EXPECT? Gameplay is enough,i had fun with space battles,even that resource gathering is not too fun.

My personal thought,the only reason why NMS failed is because of simple hype. Oh and yeah,there's multiplayer on PC. #PCMASTERRACE
  2. Lionitow

Lionitow Reinvented The Wheel

That's why you should not get games at day one. Very big companies and titles have resulted in big fails at launch, due to bugs, bad optimization, game incompleteness/DLC policy, server blackouts and so on. If you get a game at day one, it's clear that you probably will have to face problems, resulting in disappointment. The hype for that game was great and when they saw the first problems many people rushed a negative review - probably without even trying to solve them checking the configs. I think that with time the votes will go up.
    Big hype = potential big delusion
    Day one = expect problems
  3. NeonSturm

NeonSturm Back Into Space

NMS can't fail because of that if you rename it NMS2 and put it on a different store page - you will get mostly new reviews.
    But I'd never consider buying it anyway, because it costs 60€ and only runs on Windows.

If I consider that 22k reviews all spent 60€, it''s 13'000'000€ - I don't know how much NMS is worth, but at 13m € they should publish a reason why they ask for so much.
    How much devs did they pay? How much do investors gain? etc.
    It's easy to buy a game for 60€ and support some investor who is also responsible for propagating Direct-X anti-OS-compatibilty (which I wouldn't support directly at all).
    No, I won't buy a magic box for which I don't know what is inside, which requires me to support Microsoft, which does not let me know what else I support with it and for which I don't know if I support a mighty elite of content-shareholders or if it will lead to other great games from an independent publisher.

There are products which require money initially, products which require money during production, products which are guaranteed to work (labour test) and just need investment for mass-production pipelines … and we still have the same laws on all these things.
    I think buying or selling behaviour would be much different if it were a physical thing which you could individually adjust, repair or get useful parts from (or payback from a parts-trader).
  4. TYHENDER

I was actually running NMS through emulator,but i liked the game,and almost everything out there is for Windows.
    Now go blame Ben :soa:rnold because currently Seed of :soa:ndromeda is for Windows only.
    NeonSturm likes this.
  5. NeonSturm

Yes, Space-Engineers, SoA, StarMade - only StarMade works on Linux and currently doesn't work for me at all :/
    I wish there would be an open-source game to expand on rather than to have to reinvent the wheel, but even the c++ified Mine-Craft is not optimized for moving objects such as star ships or even air ships (not as much as SE or SM).

If SoA gets these things done and I can help, I hope something flows into the mind of a Linux-game or that SoA some day runs without DirectX+Windows-addiction.
    Until then, I am happy to have found this friendly community which likes to talk about topics I am interested into.
  6. TYHENDER

;)
    Anyways,have you ever tried to run this games on emulator? `Cause all of them work for me.(Some 3D games flicker and makes it unplayeble.)
  7. NeonSturm

I use an emulator.
    The moon project - no mouse cursor as soon as a game starts.
    Warhammer40k - no internet games (even with official cd) and low framerate.
    Seed of Andromeda, The console window of any executable closes a few seconds after executed (Wine). glewinfo.exe and visualinfo.exe produce one output file, but i don't know which data is important or how the output should be for a working system.
  8. TYHENDER

Try VirtualBox and VMWare.
    Wine is dead pretty much.
  9. NeonSturm

Wine is dead? I'll start wining :/
    I hate to have to use virtualbox and vmware, because there you install a MS-OS again.
    What if I don't want proprietary software that comes from MS?

I think it's time we re-invent the witch-hunt inquisition, but this time against peoples making commercial use of "black magic boxes" called proprietary spyware (ups, I meant proprietary software, nvm)
  10. TYHENDER

Lolwat,you are too strict for that.

Anyway,i've got NMs on PC.And... MAANN!This is so f*cking cool! If they will add multiplayer and base-building.I think hype will come back,but for this time there will be a reason to hype. This game has so many things to add to make it cooler,it is almost infinite for updates.
  11. Lionitow

Lionitow Reinvented The Wheel

From what I've seen and read, NMS lacks the most one thing: an "Early Access" tag.

It seems like the awesome foundation of a big house... sold at the price of a big house with furniture and all.
    The game is repetitive and pretty much ends what has to offer in like 20 hours. It is plenty of things that could be added: non-rocky planets, more fighting, more upgrades, build ability, aside of all the species and structures whose number could be exponentially incremented. Were it an early access game you could solidly expect that, but it is a released AAA title, and those titles usually get nothing but paid DLC's and minor patches.
  12. NeonSturm

You are too lazy with that.
    If I install XP in a virtual box and try a game which needs Windows-10, I have to install all that windows-10 crap to get my game.

This game is NOT sold for 30€ – it costs 50€, but you get 20€ cost reduction if you already own windows.
    It's a f**kd**n sub-company of windows which makes advertising for free because it supports itself with money.

Windows gains advertising for free 1000-times when other software has to pay for it. That's not a free market, but a vendor-locked market.

I am happy about every game for windows which fails, but I am also happy if SoA becomes a great game setting standards so that not every crap gets funded and we see better games. I guess I am happy if SoA fails and if it success.
  13. TYHENDER

Wow,you are happy man.
    Yes , i have Windows 10 on emulator(Pirated one,never gave microsoft a dollar) ,but I made Game Prealuncher Launching Game Prealuncher,so basically there's no Windows 10,only thing to play games with Windows system files.
    TYHENDER, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited by TYHENDER; at Aug 19, 2016
  14. TYHENDER

Well,atleast i have Sony to blame. If not them,NMs most probably would sell as an indie game.
  15. NeonSturm

Th is not a satisfying solution!
  16. TYHENDER

You sound like an active GNU member. Proprietary software is bad,but without it Internet and Computing would look totally different,and it wouldn't look to good. I see a lot of ppl stealing free software source code,and not giving credits(Weird,but Microsoft is one of them).
  17. NeonSturm

Different yes.
    Not good?
    With proprietary software you can never be sure if it contains stolen code and neither you are allowed or able to check if it does.
    Proprietary code allows you to legally evade all laws as long as nobody knows what it does inside. It's a modern Black-Magic Box giving power to the creators by enslaving customers (with updates - forced directly or socially as "You must have the new save-format/features/…" which may contain new exploits which sell for money or allow a third-party to exploit users).
    I don't say all software should be free, but the software which isn't should come in a sandbox which doesn't allow third-party content.
    As soon as third-party content is added, you have to free the source

or add the price and license terms of all dependencies into the actual third-party product details before download/purchase, to tell the truth to customers (it has other costs).
    A company may avoid the possibility of adding third-party content or give their product for sale to third-parties.
    But as soon as 2 third-parties own it, it must be free to allow a fair market AND TRUTH about a companies owned resources.
    You should license NO branches, ONLY leafs on the dependency-tree, such as Artwork, etc
    SoA, StarMade, SpaceEngineers are all branches for the leafs called community content.

If the base were free and Artwork sold, its still fine with me.
    You could sell plugins which change the client-side stuff as long as the base game is play-able without and users not excluded from a community for not owning the plugin.
    For example Quality-of-Life features
    BUT: Ideally, these sold artwork/plugins should still run in a secure sandbox or a render pipeline which is a one-way route to the screen
    I like the concept of releasing a product as soon as the next-next generation is released (2 versions higher) which is separated by a separate purchase or service payment
    Additionally, everything licensed to more than 10% of the market should be made free for all.

You could gradually reduce the price over 6 months so that peoples still get "early access" for their money.
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    NeonSturm, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited by NeonSturm; at Aug 30, 2016
  18. TYHENDER

Yes,true. And yes,not everything should be free.

Actually GNU does really good stuff and has really good aims,but it seems like they are FORCING people to use free software ONLY.

For example,in GNU's GNU/Linux distros,there's only few small distros,because all the others DON'T HAVE CODE OR LICENSE TO FORCE YOU USING PROPRIETARY SOFTWARE.

Proprietary software is evil,yes,but by forcing people using free software,GNU isn't even better than Microsoft. Forcing people to use free software is as bad as spying on people like Win10 does. Maybe i understood wrong what GNU/Linux distro says,just correct me if i'm wrong.

EDIT:
    Oh and yes,being active GNU active member isn't bad :p.Actually i'm trying to help GNU hardest i can,idk,maybe even going to send message for containing Meta-HTML(And totally change it,maaan there's so much folders :/)
    TYHENDER, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited by TYHENDER; at Aug 30, 2016
  19. NeonSturm

I guess, this is for those who want to protect themselves from proprietary software which is hidden from plain sight. But I can be wrong too.

I see it not as enforcement of free software, but as legal protection that stuff which is free does not get used as back-bone for customer-controlling proprietary software.
    Have a look at the LGPL which allows that.
    You might have forgot that licenses are not above country law. If software is primarily a weapon, police will make it illegal anyway.

Having the source is not necessarily understanding or being able to make use of it :p
    No code comments, alien logic in programmer brains and a lot of forwarding can make it about as hard as developing binary code.

Maybe I could program an OS for a computer I have designed myself, but all the interfaces and formats make me stick to a (Linux) solution made by a whole community.
    C++, Java, Ruby, … jpeg, png, gimp-format, … mpeg, wav, osf, … nvidia, amd, powerpc, … html, xml, ascii, u8, u16, …
    That is something no single person can handle in a reasonable time-span.
    Edit1: I've received an E-Mail newsletter from the free software foundation which explains it very well why GPL enforces free software.
    Your freedoms are being threatened, and we need your support to
    protect them. Everything around you is rapidly computerizing.
    Lightbulbs and thermostats connect to the Internet, and provide
    potential doorways for intruders to enter your home network. Cars are
    beginning to drive themselves, even while they lie to regulators about
    what's happening under their hoods. You are surrounded by devices
    ostensibly awaiting your command.

It could be awesome, but it's not. These devices don't work primarily
    for you. They work first and foremost in service of the companies who
    claim to own their software. They can and do betray your interests.
    Ironically, nearly all of them are made possible by free software. But
    invariably, they also include key components that are proprietary.

If we don't demand that devices be *fully* under our control and run
    *exclusively* free software, the primary impact of free software won't
    be empowerment. It will be more efficient restrictions, surveillance,
    and other antifeatures. Free software will provide a ready-made
    platform on which companies ship proprietary programs, or run services
    that encourage us to surrender all control over our computing.
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    NeonSturm, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited by NeonSturm; at Aug 31, 2016