1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NPC's Anyone

Discussion in 'Mod Requests' started by Blackbeard Teach, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Blackbeard Teach

Blackbeard Teach Crash Landed

Does anyone know if we can create or customize NPC's and have them around, like slaves or an army?
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  2. ColdFuseon

ColdFuseon Mercenary

• Contributor
    It will be possible, but we can't right now, you'll have to wait a long time before the devs implement that, and the basic gameplay mechanics, cause right now it's just a floating camera, planets & blocks.
  3. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Well, it may not be a long long time, we are making much faster progress now. We have been going at it absolutely full steam and with the rewrite nearing a close, it's a case of implementing the features we wanted in for 0.2.0! If it keeps up at the rate we're currently going at, we could be there sooner rather than later.
    Snipecoolbunny and ColdFuseon like this.
  4. ColdFuseon

ColdFuseon Mercenary

• Contributor
    Good to hear that ! You, devs, are doing a really good job, as usual.
  5. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    As of now, absolutely not. As of a year from now? Perhaps!
  6. MichaelH

MichaelH Writer

• Dev Member
    Unfortunately, the Creep Emancipation Act of 1873 makes what you are proposing (an NPC slave army) illegal, and would result in heavy fines. The army question depends on your interpretation of the Involuntary Conscription Act, and how much capital you have on hand to feed and house your troops (unless you also plan on violating the Quartering Act).

Hope this helps.
  7. Blackbeard Teach

lol, no. I didn't know you're a Non-Playable Character Rights activist. Is the game in C++? Because I was watching Ben's videos and was wondering what code language I should have for the NPC's upon testing in SoA.
  8. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    The AI for NPCs will no doubt have functions written in C++ that do the basics such as pathfinding.

The behaviour of the AI in the more human-sense (such as whether certain things make them aggressive or what tasks they have to do) will likely be written in Lua.

Specifying individual NPCs by hand will likely be done in YAML where data properties and scripts associated with them could be specified.

I also would like for it to be possible to specify groups of NPCs that random NPCs for that group are generated from, where the group has a YAML a bit like the trees in SoA, with ranges for different properties that all NPCs for the group are generated to have a property value within.

These are of course just my current thoughts on it, so don't hold the end system to them!
  9. Blackbeard Teach

Sounds like a good idea for implementing the values in YAML. But what concerns me the idea of the "What if" scenario when a player dies due to combat with a NPC or a group of them, would that player lose a certain portion of gear as well? This idea I am calling for is the "Fetch" maneuver.

The mechanics of Fetching would be based upon the contents of fighting NPCs, the player dies and respawns nearby, the NPC's have some of his or her stolen gear, and the player has to hunt that NPC down in order to get his gear back.
  10. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    That sounds like a pretty neat idea. We'd have to see how and if it fits into our ideas for handling death and injury in SoA!
  11. Snipecoolbunny

Snipecoolbunny Back Into Space

look at my NPC actions and reactions thread.
    https://www.seedofandromeda.com/community/threads/npc-actions-and-reactions.609/
    it has some stuff about npc's that you may like. as far as the NPC rights, uh, no.
    we'll have defibs in-game,presumably, and they can revive you. also, npc's should act as respawn points if they,ve been out of combat(engaging, being aggressive towards enemies, or being engaged) for 5 minutes. so that you cant jump right back into battle after you died. alternatively, you can wait only 1 minute if you respawn at your base.
  12. Gram

Gram Crash Landed

Is the SoA 0.2.0 rebuild capable of doing processing for chunks that are not loaded by any player? For example if an NPC was scripted to walk around the world, the player(s) would not have all the chunks loaded. Will the 0.2.0 rebuild account for this?

*Is this the correct location to ask such a thing?*
    Snipecoolbunny likes this.
  13. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    If you want to ask questions just post them wherever seems appropriate, if it doesn't get a response and you really want one, you could always try PMing devs.

You will indeed be able to load chunks not associated with the player location (there is a C++-side function for this as I recall, but no hook for Lua scripts to utilise it as of yet). Though if you wanted specifically an NPC to move around the world so to speak, I would probably say far more efficient would be to just approximate it.
    Snipecoolbunny and Gram like this.
  14. Gram

Gram Crash Landed

Cool, I did not want to harass the devs as it's not too important. I agree with what you said however my example was just a simplification.

I was more so asking as I was thinking about more complicated scripts for example script to simulate tree growth (for a small part of the world) while away, or farming AI while off planet, or maybe even an NPC tree logging or building a tunnel script.

Anyway it sounds like it is possible with 0.2.0 but comes down to horsepower on the server and efficiency of the script. :)
    PsychoticLeprechaun likes this.
  15. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    Yup, loading extra chunks will ofc be an extra load on the machine running the game and so trying to keep it as efficient as possible will always be a goal we would have and would encourage in modders.

Also, don't be afraid to PM us, but I would still highly recommend making forum posts for questions you think would apply to the rest of the community - that way more can benefit from a response! Questions are perfectly ask-able as their own thread if they are of a generally broad/important topic - threads tend to get better coverage than a comment potentially lost in a long thread. :)

A final note, if you weren't aware, we intend to open a new forum specifically for the modding API when we get to the point that scripting is released publicly.
    Snipecoolbunny and Gram like this.
  16. TYHENDER

TYHENDER Industrial Re-revolutionist

If devs would add c++ modding tools,game would develop itself.
    Darth said there will be an header file that will load dlls,so i`m waiting for this.
  17. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    We have a blog post written by Cristian here: https://www.seedofandromeda.com/blogs/62-modding-for-soa which goes into details for our plans regarding modding. Like you say, C++ modding will be possible where a mod requires it for performance, but for security's sake we have some plans to encourage confidence in using such mods (given the sheer power C++ gives a modder over users' systems and the closed nature of built DLL's).
  18. TYHENDER

TYHENDER Industrial Re-revolutionist

I`m talking about c++ modding because of this post.:D
    PsychoticLeprechaun likes this.