1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On the Matter of Space Flight

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by ThatOneGuy, Jun 17, 2014.

1. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy Reinvented The Wheel

Will you actually be able to fly the ships like one would in Kerbal Space Program, or would it be a leave the atmosphere and select which planet you want to go to like in the minecraft mod Galacticraft?
  2. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

From what I heard, more like KSP, you build ships and fly them.
    But with warp drives and auto pilot for transfers.
  3. zeroinnocent

zeroinnocent Tester

• Tester
  4. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    KSP's systems are a bit complicated for a game not focussed around space travel. Perhaps you would just be able to set orbits or something and then an autopilot does it all for you. Because KSP is really hard. Maybe in the Hardcore or harder-than-hard-realistic difficulty would eschew the autopilot, thus meaning that people would need practise to dock and land on other planets, etc, but for the default difficulty? It would need to be hugely simplified. Besides, it's the far future; get a computer to do all the risky space stuff for you.
  5. Agarthan

Agarthan Reinvented The Wheel

Exactly Arctic, an interstellar ship is going to have highly advanced computers.
  6. Arctic

• Tester
    The fact is that a game not entirely focussed around space travel and space exploration should not have such complex orbital mechanics. It should not even allow you to try to manually control in the first place. Setting orbits simplifies things. We can make mods if you want to play "KSP in SoA".
  7. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Industrial Re-revolutionist

Yeah, I was just thinking that SoA could use a simplified flight model. I'm not sure if the Devs are even going to make things orbit and rotate other than cosmetically. Just consider, KSP isn't even voxel based and doesn't require you to build much more than your ship, and it's still a bit of a resource hog and gets very unstable with just a few mods, so we may not wanna push too much on SoA just yet.
  8. tetryds

I don't think SOA will have any issue being pushed hard, the engine is made to be future proof.
    Conic orbits on an implementation simmilar to KSP would be fine.
    The thing is that KSP has a lot of physics on the ship itself, orbits etc are extremelly low resource intensive (try non physical warping with a massive ship, you won't lag).
    tetryds, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited by tetryds; at Jul 5, 2014
  9. Eviscerator

That's my point. Our ships will be made of voxels with their own data and be a bit more resource intensive than most KSP ships without some clever mechanics and programming.
  10. tetryds

Don't see problems about them breaking when crashing though, that would be nice.
  11. Arctic

• Tester
    It would be nice but I feel it might overcomplicate things. Maybe in Hard mode or the most difficult mode?
  12. yobob591

yobob591 Crash Landed

THIS ^ I mean, a ship hitting something at high speeds should damage it, its just basic physics. That's one thing that bothered me about Starmade, if you hit another ship or crashed onto a planet you would just bounce off as opposed to breaking some of the ship blocks or imbedding into the ground.

EDIT: Sorry if this is a necropost, I didnt check the dates and I'm kinda new to forums in general :confused:
    yobob591, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited by yobob591; at Aug 31, 2014
  13. Eviscerator

Two things, Starmade is still in alpha, and is working on collision damage. Secondly, shields forgive minor navigation and maneuvering errors..
  14. yobob591

yobob591 Crash Landed

Good. I'm glad they are, Starmade is a great game. Also, I didn't mean bumping something not damaging blocks, I meant ramming into a large ship/planet at full speed not damaging it or yourself.
    yobob591, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited by yobob591; at Sep 1, 2014
  15. Arctic

• Tester
    I for one would like to see this as a mechanic; We'd be able to build orbital kinetic bombardment satellites without even having to implement additional mechanics solely for that!