1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Help Thread

Discussion in 'Nerd Out Zone' started by Gingy, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

I figured since we have a PC Specs Thread, why not have one for helping people with the problems involved with building and maintaining said PC? I also kind of had something I wanted to ask around about, and figured it would be a better use of the forum to have a thread for anyone else who might want help.

Me personally, I'm torn on some issues I'm having with my CPU. Most things I use it for are not a problem, but there's some things in particular I want to get into that the only reason I can't is because my CPU is my current bottleneck. At least four of the games I own flood both cores when I play them. One in particular is so CPU heavy that my CPU reaches 65c within about 20 minutes, and that seems to be the source of my poor framerates on those games. Rendering video is also a pain in the ass, because it brings my CPU to its knees. Unless there's a video editor for Linux I don't know about that allows you to render video on the GPU instead, I have to upgrade my CPU for that. (Hell, even on Windows, I only know of one, and that one is stupidly expensive) Finally, I'm considering starting to stream to Twitch, which seems to require enough of an additional load on the CPU that I couldn't stream about half the games I own. Finally, the thing that has me wanting a new CPU the most is the fact that I want to try to make a virtual machine to run programs exclusive to a particular OS. My particular CPU does not support this.

However, the only CPUs that I know of that I both could afford and would actually be worth the money to upgrade are part of the i5 line of Haswell processors. Problem is, the one I'm looking at is $240, which would eat up almost all of my current disposable income. Alternatively, I wanted to get a better CPU fan, so I could look into overclocking and buy myself some time. Problem is, I can't seem to get a straightforward answer as to whether or not that'll actually make enough of a difference that it'd be worth, and I'm incredibly nervous about installation, because Intel CPU coolers are supposedly a pain to replace. Getting the original off won't be a problem, but I'm really worried about getting the aftermarket one off when I do switch to the i5.
    joppiesaus likes this.
  2. joppiesaus

joppiesaus Infamous Space-Octopus

Don't worry about the de/installation: You'll get the aftermarket cooler off! And also the stock one! You can do it!
    Unfortunately, I don't think I have any advice for your CPU problem. Overclocking will make your CPU's a little faster, I don't know if that will work. You can do a simple overclock even on the stock cooler. For more serious overclocking you'll have to buy another cooler, which costs you money - and what you said it won't solve your problem.
  3. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

See, I tried overclocking on the stock cooler, and got within 3 degrees celcius of the point where my CPU is supposed to shut down to prevent damage after 20 minutes of use.
    joppiesaus likes this.
  4. TYHENDER

TYHENDER Industrial Re-revolutionist

I`m mostly stupid in iron,but how about making some type of cooling by yourself?:p
  5. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

To update everyone, I found a really good deal on a lesser known version of the Hyper 212 Evo (it's apparently a really popular CPU cooler) and caved. Although, it may have been worth it. Even with the CPU overclocked from 3.2 to 4.0Ghz, temperatures have only exceeded 60c on the CPU once. I'm actually tempted to try 4.2, since that's the next highest preset on the overclock controls in my BIOS, but that incident where my CPU reached 61c has me a bit nervous about that. 4Ghz might just be enough anyway, but I've not tried absolutely everything with it clocked that high yet.