1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Specs Thread

Discussion in 'Nerd Out Zone' started by Arpak, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

I guess I'll. Keep XP installed until the game is unplayable. I do think that the rather poor specs of my computer show how well made this game is. I have a ten year old machine that can run this thing at a relatively playable state(albeit the bare minimum for my standard of playability). This same machine barely pushes 45fps with maximum graphical settings on Half Life 2.
  2. Arpak

Arpak Moderator - Former CM

Well I guess its time for me to do a build update, with all the tinkering I've done

i7-4790k @ 4.2Ghz
    Kraken X61 CLC
    16GB G.Skill Sniper 1866Mhz
    2x256GB SDD (RAID 0)
    1TB HDD 7200rpm
    2TB HDD 5400rpm
    S340 Case
    MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V
  3. joppiesaus

joppiesaus Infamous Space-Octopus

Wow! Seems like a really powerfull PC! :eek:
    As I can see in your "signature", you had a 780 Lightning first, why did you pick an 970 instead while the 780 is still pretty neat?
  4. Arpak

Arpak Moderator - Former CM

Oh I still need to change that! I got a 970 because I sold the 780 Lightning to my sister for $200 so she could have something better than a 760, then I used that as a down payment on a 970 :)
  5. joppiesaus

I recently made a home server:
    Case: Fractal Design Core 500
    Mobo: Asrock Q1900 ITX
    CPU: Intel Celeron J1900(On board on the mobo)
    GPU: ???
    HDD: HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB
    SSD: Samsung something something I forgot 250 GB
    NIC: Intel Gigabit CT Desktop adapter
    RAM: Crucial DDR3 8GB 1600MHz bla bla bla
    PSU: be quiet! System Power 7 300w

I'm running Ubuntu Server 16.04 on it. It was very unstable, and I didn't really test it well, so I thought only the network was unstable because I expected it to be. Bought 2expensive4me NIC, still unstable. Turns out it's a bug in the Linux kernel, intel_idle.max_cstate=1 in the GRUB flags fixed it. It's really stable. I love it.

I'm running Minecraft server at the moment, ssh, ArchiveTeam Warrior(in docker), deluge, Samba(it's primary goal is storage), but I ran out of ideas. Email seems really hard.

I've learned a lot about Linux & stuff of this. I hope I do the security well, because there's precious data on the server(I have copies of it though), and it's online, xd
    PsychoticLeprechaun likes this.
  6. Jeremail

Jeremail Dev Member

• Dev Member
    First of all, sorry to go a little off topic...

Depends on how you want to approach it. If you're fine with out-of-the-box bundles, check out iredmail. it's fairly straightforward.
    If you'd rather do it by yourself, then yes. It's a hell of a job but insanely rewarding too.

That said, If I may reccomend installing some form of cloud storage solution (ownCloud, nextcloud) even if you're just going to use it to forward your SMB shares. Another thing you may want to look into is stuff like self-hosted-groupware (i.e. Kolab) or something lighter (Etherpad, Ethercalc etc.).

Finally, may I suggest investigating https://vector.im/ ?

Have a great one
  7. joppiesaus

Thank you very much! I will definitely check this out!
  8. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

If the specs I posted are way out of date, should I repost my new ones?
  9. TYHENDER

TYHENDER Industrial Re-revolutionist

Totally.

I don`t change my PC very much,so one in my signature will be mine for next 3-4 years.
  10. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

Okay, by request (well, suggestion, but I'm blaming him if people complain :p ), my new specs are as follows:

CPU: Pentium G 3258 @ 3.2Ghz (soon to be upgraded to an i5 4690k and/or fit with a better fan to overclock to 3.8Ghz)
    RAM: 2x 4GB sticks of G.Skill Value DDR3 @ 1600Mhz
    GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 950 with 2GB of GDDR5 (probably redundant to list, since every 950 has that)
    PSU: Thermaltake TR2 600w
    Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 480Gb SSD and a Segate 3TB external HDD (I don't know the model, because it was a gift)
    Case: Thermaltake Urban S1 mATX
    tetryds and joppiesaus like this.
  11. Jeremail

Jeremail Dev Member

• Dev Member
    Actually, thinking about it, here are three more:

If you have a lot of ram, OnlyOffice is similar to Microsoft's OfficeOnline or Google Docs/sheets etc. be warned though, it uses around 3G of ram when idle. It does, however, feature built-in project management and email, so it would replace a lot of the other things I suggested previously.. I've only just found out about this myself, so I can't really tell you how reliable this is.

Anoither similarly ram hungry suggestion is YaCy, a search engine that you can host yourself. It pairs up with other peers to give better search results.

Lastly, if you have any DLNA-compatible devices (think Apple airplay or samsung's DirectShare (i think?) ) you could use rygel. Rygel is a media server that can convert media on the fly to a format the player can handle (sorta like Plex, except that it usually works without additional client-side apps) . While your cpu is likely only good for low res video and audio you could still give it a shot if that sounds useful. (I have port forwared rygel to give me access to dialup-quality audio streams of our music collection, which work on germany's """flat-rate""" internet plans.. )

If you want to know more, I'd be happy to help out, though I'd suggest breaking out into a new thread, so others can learn too if they so desire.

~Jeremail
    Jeremail, Jul 23, 2016
    Last edited by Jeremail; at Jul 23, 2016
    joppiesaus likes this.