1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plans For Next Release (0.2.0)

Discussion in 'News and Development' started by Benjamin, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    For the next release I want to have the following features in place, I estimate a month or greater (probably much greater) for development time:
    1. Distortion masking
    2. World editor
    3. Bug Fixes
    4. Item scanner
    5. Fire
    6. New Fluids and Gasses
    7. Gpu computed noise ( better speed and quality, normal mapping possible )

These are not ordered in any meaningful way.

Once we release 0.2.0 we will send out press copies to a bunch of youtubers. With the listed features I will be confident in the quality and content.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    Benjamin, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited by Benjamin; at Apr 25, 2014
  2. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

With that content, I will definitelly start making videos about SOA.
    I don't have a channel yet, but that's the point.

I could also start sooner making videos about the pre-releases.

But there is this shadowplay issue.
    Anyway, you said that it's going to have another performance boost, so that wouldn't be much of an issue.
  3. JM97

JM97 Crash Landed

Can't wait for the World Editor!!! BTW, decoupling rendering from physics thread will make SoA improve its performance? And finally, I volunteer to make a video about 0.2.0 to boost SoA fame.

Edit: Last question, is there any ETA?
  4. tetryds

I can answer that for you: no it won't improve performance, it will BOOST performance.
    For example, when water is flowing what causes lag is basically that the CPU has to process all the physics then send the block data to the GPU, and wait for the rendering to continue.
    It will wait for the physics to be done before sending that data.
    If it's decoupled you can basically have one core/thread for each of them, and that will cut the CPU usage of the main thread by half.
    To make it more clear, what causes fps drops is just that main thread overloading one of the cores while the other cores arent even scratched.
    So if rendering requires the exact same ammount of processing as physics, considering the other cores are on low usage, the fps will DOUBLE!
  5. Danijel

Danijel Overclocked

What tetryds said, it's a great addition.
    Also, I'm very excited for the update and wondering about the ETA too.
    Could you clarify what the item scanner feature is? Because I really don't have a clue.
    And for the possible features thing, Ability to add new fluids, AND add acid and lava...You mean acid and lava are going to be added as a part of the game or as an example of the new fluid adding ability, and will you add a lot of options for the fluids (like flow speed, opactiy, glow, reflection, damage numbers, swim speed, in-fluid vision range, etc.). Colors are implied I guess.
    sam_spohn likes this.
  6. JM97

JM97 Crash Landed

Woah that's very good news tetryds!
  7. tetryds

Dane, the item scaner is basically something to tell you what is the block you looking at.
    Instead of being always active you will have to press a button and it will scan the block to tell you what it is.
    So no annoying GUIs showing what you are looking at all the time nor the black block selection "assist".

About the fluids, AFAIK, all of those together.
    Think about bombs, they are there but you can also make your own.
  8. joppiesaus

joppiesaus Infamous Space-Octopus

Well that's awesome. I especially like the item scanner(it makes stuff a lot easier) and the world editor(and makes also stuff alot easier).
    I am curious about the acid too.
  9. scarere

scarere <Battle Scarred Jesus>

this may be a little off topic, but I was wondering what your long term schedule was for SOA? I think I remember you mentioning in one of your videos that you had decided to do multiplayer before mac support. Also, how long do you think it will take you to finish each of these.
  10. Tikon

Tikon Sexy Pizza Eating Dwarf (*^3^)/~☆

MP still wont happen for months, just the sequence changed. he said these will most likely be done in a month( hes trying)
  11. tetryds

I think that it's better if there are no deadlines.
    Ben is already good at managing his work, so deadlines are pointless, it would just add more pressure on him.
    An aproximated date of how long those would be certainly done would be interesting.
    I rather this game to take longer for every single feature but be very well done than that it gets rushed and some things along the way don't work quite well.
    The pace of the development is not slow at all, so there might not be much to worry about.
  12. Causeless

Causeless narcissistic, machiavellian and sadistic

Maybe the deadlines are why he's so good at managing his work?

:angel:
  13. scarere

scarere <Battle Scarred Jesus>

I wasn't asking for a deadline when I asked him how long, just wanted a guess for my pure curiosity. Also the main part of the question what is the order he plans on doing things.
    For example, after the world editor, he might plan to fix bugs after that, and then do multiplayer, and then mac support, then maybe fix more bugs, then maybe create a simple crafting system etc............ you get the point

i'd also like to make sure that everyone knows that i'm not trying to rush ben, or tell him to go faster. I actually think hes going very fast considering how much he's accomplished, youre doing a great job ben, keep it up!
  14. tetryds

Well said.
    Also, we might kick in on "Bug Fixes".
    Someone has to find the bugs, rite?
  15. Tikon

Tikon Sexy Pizza Eating Dwarf (*^3^)/~☆

--answer to question gets overlooked--
  16. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    Us people with little SoA badges will also get the advance copy, right?
  17. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    I believe it will be those on the IRC that get an early copy to test, so make sure you are on! When we get more people frequenting for forums and keeping up to date with the game, we will no doubt set up a testing team that will be dedicated to assisting with early releases.
  18. Restless

Restless Terraformer

Will people who don't use IRC still get to try it eventually?
  19. Causeless

Causeless narcissistic, machiavellian and sadistic

Yes, but only a little while afterwards when 0.2.0 is at a relatively bug-free stage.
  20. Restless

Restless Terraformer

If I join the IRC now do you think I could join in bug testing? Or is it only people who have been frequenting there a lot?

I would be more frequent on there but I don't do so well in a real time chat environment, but would still really like to help with finding bugs like I have been doing so far already.