1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Player Inventory Limitations?

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by ThatOneGuy, Jun 24, 2014.

1. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy Reinvented The Wheel

The player inventory, a thing that changes the balance of the game. I would hope that the SOA inventory is nothing like the Minecraft inventory, as in the minecraft inventory you can carry 2000+ cubic meters of any block, including things like stone. I would propose that there are two attributes to an item: weight, and size. You could only lift so much, and that variable being strength, which could be improved. You could also only fit so much in your backpack, or in your hands. I think this would add realism to the game, and even some use to investing in things like horses or donkeys, later things like trains, boats, and trucks, and even later you could have entire spaceships devoted to carrying cargo from one planet to the next.
  2. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    Maybe you could have a "Realism" mode wherein the player can only carry one or eight blocks at a time. See my "Physics Inventory" idea for a way we could think about balancing inventory.
  3. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

I like the idea of having a realistic option, but don't think it should be the only one. If inventory was absolutely and strictly realistic, building would take far longer than would entertain most people playing.
  4. Arctic

• Tester
    Blocks would probably need to be shrunk for gameplay purposes.
  5. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    We will definitely be supporting different realism options, as it stands I think we are going to limit inventory by weight. However, we will have to figure out how to make this work with blocks. For instance, you would not really be able to hold more than 1 block of solid lead in your inventory at one time, which would make it very difficult to construct anything out of it. Do you guys have any ideas for gadgets or devices that we can use to immersively allow the player to carry many blocks?
  6. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Industrial Re-revolutionist

Starting with wheelbarrows, moving up to forklifts, and then anti-grav/zero-point energy manipulators?

I also think there was a thread about powered armor and exoskeletons that could have something to do with construction and additional cargo capacity.
    Eviscerator, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited by Eviscerator; at Jul 21, 2014
  7. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    Also m
    Also minecarts. In SoA they will actually be used to haul ore, not just to ride around in :p
    With this, people would actually make extensive mine systems with actual minecarts that carry ore back to their base.
    Benjamin, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited by Benjamin; at Jul 22, 2014
  8. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

That would be awesome, my PDA idea would use some fancy way to store several blocks, but limiting the ammount of blocks the player can carry could work.
    I was about to say it would make things too hard for most of people, but never underestimate them.
  9. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

Gravity Gun FTW!
  10. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    We could always provide them the option to enable it via Hardcore Mode. We want the game to be enjoyable for all. People who want more of a challenge, (like me), will opt for hardcore mode. The more casual players will pick the casual mode. This will allow us to appeal to a wider range of players.
  11. Agarthan

Agarthan Reinvented The Wheel

How about some sort of matter/energy storage system that can be modified into your holo band. it's limited by is capacity, upgrades etc.
    Restless likes this.
  12. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    As long as it is something that could be somewhat explained by technology, we could have it. We might experiment with several methods and just see which ones you guys like best.
  13. tetryds

Yeah, that is what the primary PDA idea is about.
    Still trying to find a good scientific explanation to it.
  14. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Industrial Re-revolutionist

Small wormhole between PDA and some storage area in the wreckage of the ship? Size of storage available depending upon difficulty setting/state of repair of the abandoned vessel?
  15. tetryds

You could have both a dematerialized personal inventory and connect your PDA to something like a chest, where you would stream dematerialized blocks to (probbaly range limited).
    But your personal one (on "your pocket" would be very limited, and the chest would maybe require energy to have things put in or taken from it (and maybe authentication too).
    Your PDA would rematerialize your blocks as you place them, allowing for placing lots of blocks in a row (which can also be limited).

Here is my suggestion, which was broadly accepted, anything further than that you need to ask a dev: http://www.seedofandromeda.com/community/threads/pda-not-just-an-inventory-hologram.91/

The wormhole idea could be a thing, with something that distorts spacetime inside the chest (like a warp drive, but only the compress part, making chest bigger than it looks)
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    tetryds, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited by tetryds; at Jul 23, 2014
  16. Agarthan

Teleportation/replication type tech I guess? They've only been able to teleport one electron or whatever several times now, that will eventually lead to being able to use energy and computers that can remember the place of individual atoms to turn it into data and back again. I was also almost referencing the minecraft mod applied energistics, which allows you to craft data storage modules where items can be stored and accessed using power. There could be different types for the PDA depending on the tech you have available, (more storage, less power usage etc, remote access to other storage systems etc)
    Agarthan, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited by Agarthan; at Jul 24, 2014
  17. tetryds

It would be fine to have different storage modes for the PDA, yes.
    And about streaming/teleporting, that is fine too.
    The issue is storage itself, having several blocks stored on a smaller space than what they would occupy.
  18. Agarthan

Turn them into tile entities or something to that effect? Are you saying you are planning on storing items as their actual dimensional sizes?
  19. Arctic

• Tester
    I think what he's saying is that blocks would be placed down to be stored.
  20. Agarthan

That's cray cray, that seems like a huge step back for a voxel game, how do you expect someone to be able to amass materials to create something? It would be painfully difficult.