1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible future tech races?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zinthak, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Zinthak

Zinthak Crash Landed

I haven't seen a post about this yet, most likely since the game isn't even finished or has multiplayer.

When the team, or some individual is able to host a planet-wide server...do you think a tech race would be fun? See who builds the best tunneling, land, water, air, and eventually space vehicle? Dividing into teams of the said number, spread all over the planet, or at least, within range of each other.

If all over the planet, a water vehicle or air vehicle with some scanning equipment to scan for life forms would allow you to find the team perhaps?

Opinions?
  2. Jpr

Jpr Industrial Re-revolutionist

Ummm, can you clarify races? Speed to get to the required TECH level, actually BUILD an example, or the FASTEST moving one? I like all 3, though. I think a server with spawns FAR apart, possibly within a few hundred miles, would be FUN. I like the idea of spawning on an island dozens of miles from land, and then making contact with the mainland players, and eventually building a large ship to reach the shore.
    EDIT-Yes, I KNOW you could probably use a canoe, but where's the fun in THAT? When I come ashore, I want to have a steam ironclad's broadside covering me :)
    Jpr, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited by Jpr; at Jan 28, 2015
  3. Danarkivus-2

Danarkivus-2 Back Into Space

that seams cool.
  4. Zinthak

Zinthak Crash Landed

What I mean is who CAN build the fastest and become most advanced the fastest, as well as making sure the craft is safe and reliable.
  5. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    Presumably, if what I care about is teching up as fast as I can and I'm fairly sure I can pilot this flying heap of crap well, I don't need to care about safety and reliability, thus shaving precious research time off some useless "Safety" features. Fire extinguishers killed more people than they ever saved, anyway. Or was that emergency machine guns? Bah, never mind. I don't need either.
    Jpr likes this.
  6. Jpr

True, true. I think that would be pretty funny to see a tech race where MOST inventions were hideously dangerous to the intended user...
    "Why does the chainsaw not have a handle? Cost too much met... OH GOD MY ARM!"
  7. Danarkivus-2

8. Jpr

Yup. And the car that's JUST an engine, transmission, steering wheel, differential, and wheels. No seats, no frame, no nothin.
    "Is the battery dead?"
    "What's a battery?"
  9. Danarkivus-2

or hey this plane only has the engine the propeller and the wings and we aren't Shure if the wings worked. aa what ever.
  10. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

I don't think this is the kind of thing we want for this game, really.
  11. Arctic

• Tester
    I was thinking more along the lines of, "We made a machine gun! Though we're not quite sure how to cool it, so go easy on the trigger."
  12. Zinthak

Zinthak Crash Landed

I'm not stating it as something to be submitted permanently...more so, just a fun game to play if there ever was a planet-wide server for everyone. Just something amusing we can all enjoy perhaps.
  13. Jpr

I agree, but I would find that game mode REALLY fun if it wasn't the core mode. I can see the objective being... basically capture the flag on a solar system scale, and the flag spawns at random on planetary surfaces (maybe lock the first several to Aldrin because POINTS!!1!)
  14. Arctic

• Tester
    I had an idea along these lines a while ago.

CTF Planetary

I suppose this suggestion of yours would be more like... King of the Hill? That weird Australium/Rocket mode TF2 has? Anyway, I think CTF Planetary would be more interesting as it encourages direct combat more than simply teching up as fast as possible. It's more fun waging planetary war than feverishly sitting in a bunker playing research minigames. Even if you locked the first few to Aldrin, the team that got to aircraft tech first would pretty much be able to get everything, as ground vehicle tech just can't match up. The problem is that there IS a set, best strategy for capturing the most flags, and games would end up being boring, repetitive, and empty.

CTF Planetary, on the other hand, encourages combat and strategy. Do you send men with primitive weapons out for an early rush, potentially wasting resources? Do you carefully harass outlying strongholds, slowly making a push through to their flag? Do you Blitzkrieg them with fast-moving tanks and aircraft? Do you tech up to orbital as fast as you can and annihilate the enemy with UNICORN HORN Lancetform Celestial Directed Energy Satellite System (ONLINE, READY TO FIRE)? If you do this, however, you leave yourself open to attack... It's all very complicated and would end up being very fun.
    Arctic, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited by Arctic; at Jan 31, 2015