1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre-Alpha versions: good or bad?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lionitow, Aug 28, 2015.

1. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    That list is one that comes up far too often in the pre-order scene as a whole. Charging for significant expansions is indeed justified, but the method of charging for the expansion, and also the pricing of the expansion in comparison to what it does for the game may not be equally justified. If expansions are being created on a yearly basis, it definitely leads me to question if enough quality content can be put into them for the price of a AAA-game to be the justified price point of that expansion.
  2. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Linux support is something we aim to provide - along with Mac support. The focus right now is of course the game itself, but features such as non-Windows OS support and extra peripheral support will no doubt be seen to once we get to a good point in the development of the game.

I definitely agree with Linux being a great option for game servers - it just provides you with the right level of control over the system as well as being pretty damn easy to use.
  3. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

DISCLAIMER: I haven't read any of the other comments yet. Sorry if this has been rebutted or already said.

I feel like the medium isn't to blame for what has happened. It's just easier to exploit with how it's currently set up. I think Minecraft is to blame. (Which is ironic, because the actually stuck to it and made what they set out to) It's to blame partially, because it gave people the idea to build the game as the players go about whatever they decide to do. When done right, there are countless benefits. Unfortunately, it seems like people go into these projects thinking the model makes it easier than it really does and they crash and burn, because they bit off more than they can chew at way too fast a pace to keep up.

It's escilated by the expectations of gamers increasing exponetially as well. Everyone wants a game with a massive scale and amazing fidelity that runs on a potato at 4k 120fps. I'm guilty of this too.

It also doesn't help that the hype sub-culture in gaming is becoming a serious problem. People are spending insane amounts of money on such shady practices as pre-order bonuses and store specific exclusive deals. Dare I mention the Deus Ex bullshit that happened recently?
  4. Lionitow

Lionitow Reinvented The Wheel

So true. I think it's a shame that many games cost €60+ and, like if it wasn't enough, they ask you money for in-game credits (Fifa coff coff). I don't like also how the most games rely especially on multiplayer. CS:GO for example is nothing but that, nobody cares about CoD's campaign and they go straight to multiplayer... Elite dangerous too (even if I don't know much about that game) I will always prefer a good campaign with a story. Sure, challenging other people or cooperating with friends is fun, but shouldn't be the primary aspect of a game.
    As a consumer, I would pay a great game even €50 (saving up a bit on other things) if that price means quality, reliability, and not expensive advertising and trailers. For me Minecraft is an example of a good quality/price.