1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Procedural Heightmap Terrain Generation

Discussion in 'News and Development' started by Benjamin, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
  2. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

Interesting blog, good job.
    By the way, it's not "humidity", you can either replace it by "average humidity" or "average rainfall".
    I really hope you are using the equation I provided for Aldrin in the game, as that is closer to how it would work in real life on an earth-like planet.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    tetryds, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited by tetryds; at Jun 27, 2015
    Benjamin likes this.
  3. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

Really cool, the new terrain is gorgeous! :D
    Benjamin likes this.
  4. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    Why isn't it humidity? Calling it humidity seems accurate. Its not the average humidity over a region, its the exact humidity at that pixel. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humidity
  5. tetryds

The problem is that humidity actually changes too abruptly, and depends on time.
    When creating a planet it seems like a better idea to set average humidity/rainfall maps, then apply a random noise on it within the player's surroundings.
    So, some places have rainy summers and dry winters, others are always moist, others tend to be almost always dry... but it can also rain on deserts.
    Biomes don't adapt to exact humidity for that reason, they adapt to the cyclic change in rainfall and temperature, which can be better approximated as an average.

So, you have three humidity factors (not counting actual atmospheric simulations:
    Average rainfall/humidity, that can be used to define the biomes together with the temperature
    Seasonal rainfall/humidity, that acts as a multiplier on the top of the average, this relies on the biome type.
    Local rainfall/humidity, local, that changes with time but depends on the two other factors above.

This way you can have a much more precise approximation without actually simulating anything.
    Gingy likes this.
  6. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    Seeing as we don't have dynamic climate yet, I feel like humidity is appropriate. Its constant right now.
    Xion likes this.
  7. Xion

Xion Industrial Re-revolutionist

This is probably the first dialogue between two people on this forum that I've actually begun understand by the end of it. I hope that doesn't mean I'm stupid.
  8. tetryds

Okay, then it would be better to call it relative humidity :p
    I mean, not for the blog, the blog is fine, but for the game and other times it appears.
    tetryds, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited by tetryds; at Jun 28, 2015
  9. Dysche

Dysche Intern Programmer

• Dev Member
    equilibrium vapor pressureRelative humidity is the ratio of the partial pressure of water vapor to the equilibrium vapor pressure of water at the same temperature.
    Humidity is the amount of water vapor in the air.

I have to agree with Ben, his system works using the amount of water vapor (To my assumptions) rather than the water vapor pressure ratio to the equilibrium vapor pressure of water at the same temperature.

Sources: wikipedia.
    Dysche, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited by Dysche; at Jun 28, 2015
  10. tetryds

Humidity does not really mean much, it's the relative humidity that matters.
  11. Arpak

Arpak Moderator - Former CM

Its not like the proper vocabulary police are going to beat ben with a 12th edition Webster's Dictionary, humidity is fine, let him code the game :p
    Benjamin and Dysche like this.
  12. Dysche

Dysche Intern Programmer

• Dev Member
    True :p

I really like the blog post, it is very useful!
    Dysche, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited by Dysche; at Jun 29, 2015
  13. tetryds

If you want to do it right then you can just... do it right.
    But I warn that you will have a hard time relating absolute humidity to any effect such as rain or dehydration.
    The part that matters is that there is no scientific paper relating latitude and absolute humidity.
    And that's science, which I assume to matter here, doesn't it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    tetryds, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited by tetryds; at Jun 29, 2015
  14. Sevio

Sevio Back Into Space

So isn't it ultimately the average annual rainfall that most strongly influences what kind of biome exists there? Along with rivers going through the landscape of course, which allow for lush areas around them even in a desert, see the Nile delta.
  15. Xion

Xion Industrial Re-revolutionist

Yes. All tetryds is saying is that humidity changes rapidly. In order to measure it properly, you may need to increase the sample size, also you should give an average of humidity for any given area, rather than a constant value.

I do believe average rainfall would be the best, and probably easiest way of implementing how much water exists in any given area at any given time since you could base average humidity off the amount of precipitation. This could also work with acid rain on other planets, giving you a gauge of how toxic your air is as well.

The idea here is that this is more of a non-essential feature. As of right now, Ben is simply trying to get a simple, semi-polished voxel engine ready for the big day (Kickstarter).
  16. tetryds

It is essential for gameplay, just not the focus right now.