1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question = how is building permission handled ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Beamybeams, May 17, 2015.

1. Beamybeams

Beamybeams Crash Landed

sorry i didnt find any post on building permissions. how will it work ? with a claim system or we need to defend our builds or all free building area sandbox?
  2. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    It depends on the server. We intend to create a suite of tools for multiplayer for the server-admin side of things - rather than make the community create what are, in reality, essential tools that should be core - these would include a build protection system (and probably a permissions system before that - that systems like the build protection will hook into). This protection system will likely work through a claim mechanic. The "depends" is this: if a server sticks to the difficult nature of the game experience, they will not actually use this tool. That said, some servers will want to offer a more casual experience, or will be creatively focused, and so make use of this tool.
  3. Beamybeams

Beamybeams Crash Landed

hmm. thanx for answer, i dont fully understand but thanx anyway. reason i asked this = i play landmark , a building game, and the multiplayer aspect of building is = people can claim land, build on it, and thats it. there are few organised community builds but aside from that i just see many claims where i cant build, owner offline, and my claims where no one comes because there is no need to come since they can t build or fight. so i asked u i hope it wont be like also in SOA.

my idea for solution would be mix = most area would be where people build in a survival state and need to fight to protect their build. then few exclusive private claims, maybe achieved tru voting or long term pvp level status or as an award for defending it long time, and few areas like a meeting place where anyone can build free withiout pvp.
    NeonSturm likes this.
  4. joppiesaus

joppiesaus Infamous Space-Octopus

This will probably be possible.
    What PsychoticLeprechaun said in short is: The creator of the server decides the way building permissions will work.
    PsychoticLeprechaun likes this.
  5. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    With the bonus that we intend to provide an official tool set for server owners to control various aspects of the experience the players on their server get.

A claim system could quite easily, through a permissions and flag system, be akin to WorldGuard (a Bukkit plug-in) in power but we would be able to make the process more user friendly, no doubt!

This would mean that what you describe would be possible @Beamybeams, in that players could claim areas (on servers using this tool) that they can build in, but others can fight in.
    PsychoticLeprechaun, May 17, 2015
    Last edited by PsychoticLeprechaun; at May 17, 2015
    NeonSturm and joppiesaus like this.
  6. zeroinnocent

zeroinnocent Tester

• Tester
    would be cool to have a way to mark the borders of your property with border sticks or markers of some kind especially sins many borders are not square but irregular shapes
    NeonSturm likes this.
  7. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    I would like that Vanilla SoA has methods to prevent people from simply digging through. For example, some kind of "Concrete" would work very well, you would have to pour it into rebar and this would be extremely strong, much, MUCH more resistant to damage and COMPLETELY impervious to mining. Maybe not concrete, but something along those lines; hard to set up.
    NeonSturm likes this.
  8. NeonSturm

NeonSturm Back Into Space

Did somebody called for "Aggregated Crystal/Diamond Walls"? :)

You can already create tiny low-grade industrial diamonds IRL today: just fill a container with coal/carbon and use explosives around it.
    • Perhaps you could (for very short time intervals) archive similar with focused sonic waves.
    • Perhaps even use focus to create tiny structures.

BTW: Cold Deformation works similar:
    • A copper-cone surrounded by C4 can create a super-sonic stream of copper at the concave side of it's tip.
    • If you diffuse it to a stream of single atoms, accumulative printing of raw materials through a build-ray may be possible.
    NeonSturm, May 19, 2015
    Last edited by NeonSturm; at May 19, 2015
  9. Sevio

Sevio Back Into Space

Stronger building materials more resistant to mining or other means of destruction make sense in a war or pvp setting. You can make bunkers, fortresses, towers etc. Shield generators could be used to protect the integrity of an area as well until disabled or destroyed. Good potential for tower defense games too. :)

In a more social setting on a (semi-)public server where people have their own plots of land, live in a community with the intention to build creatively to show off to other people, you need full worldguard-like area protection. This is an abstraction for the rules of society preventing someone from breaking down their neighbor's house because it seems funny or because it "improves the landscape."
  10. NeonSturm

NeonSturm Back Into Space

AREA 51 ahead! :D
    I like your shield idea!

Perhaps there could be some NPC city-areas which offer rectangles with more protection for players.
  11. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    The second bit: Shaped charges FTW. I want Panzerfausts, damn it!
  12. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

Maybe if you don't want to break immersion, you could have technology for some sort of energy field that prevents players without building permission from greifing those people. On such servers that don't ever want to break immersion, walls could be a decent deturrent, as well as traps.