1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question

Discussion in 'Modding Tutorials and Help' started by FruitGish, May 15, 2015.

1. FruitGish

FruitGish Reinvented The Wheel

Can i make money from mods? (ad.fly)
  2. joppiesaus

joppiesaus Infamous Space-Octopus

Yes
    I think you are the one who decides how things are downloaded, so you can route your download along some ads to make money, if that's what you mean.
    It harms the users thought, and you don't get rich from it either(except if you have millions of downloads of course)
    It's always good to add just a donate button with a little text why people should donate, because people who really appreciate your mod and do have some money usually donate.
    And this is a little off-topic, but I think it's good to also publish the source code so people can learn from it. People don't steal like every stereotype Minecraft modder thinks, and people still donate, and there may be a slight increase of donations for this philosophy.
  3. NeonSturm

NeonSturm Back Into Space

I suggest you clicking the link (GPL : Selling Free Software is OK!) to learn more about free software and the GPL for the case you did not already.

The GPL allows you to sell your stuff, as long as you provide the source along it.

That means that you can do your own kick-starter too (if you like):
    • Donate a$ once, and source-code-part 1 is available for free for everybody after donation
    • Donate b$ once, and source-code-part 2 is available (requires 1) for free for everybody after donation
    NeonSturm, May 17, 2015
    Last edited by NeonSturm; at May 17, 2015