1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions About Textures and Models

Discussion in 'Asset Packs' started by Xion, May 3, 2015.

1. Xion

Xion Industrial Re-revolutionist

What is the default resolution of textures?

How many blocks tall are the characters? (If not exact blocks, then how many sub-blocks?)

How many textures are there now and how many are we looking at for say 1.0?

Lastly, is there going to be a way to add your own emblem to your structures and ships, or maybe even change the color of your gear?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum.
    Last edited: May 3, 2015
    Xion, May 3, 2015
    Last edited by Xion; at May 3, 2015
  2. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

1. I don't think there is a default, because the main texture pack is 256 by 256, while the alternate version is 32 by 32 (or some number like that). Of course, the more pixels the higher the quality, just depends on the look one would be trying to give.

2. I'm not sure, that's a good question for the devs. :) ED:T Xion, you changed the question while I was writing this reply, but I suppose this applies here too.

3. I'd hope so, but since that's in the future the devs should answer that one definitively.
    Thomas988, May 3, 2015
    Last edited by Thomas988; at May 3, 2015
  3. Xion

I changed the first question, because I saw that the default was at least 256x256 from the screens. However, every model that I've seen have been something like 16x16 or 32x32. It makes me wonder how big the textures can be on the models. I'm assuming they can be as big as you want, but I'm just curious if the textures in this thread are final.

I really like the look of those textures. I feel like giving a sub-block more than one pixel of resolution per face would take away from the aesthetics of the game. (I'm under the impression it takes 32 sub-blocks to make up one block)
  4. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    1. 32x32
    2. 4 x 2 x 2, the character is 4 blocks tall and 2x2 blocks wide.
    3. Many. Many textures, and many more with the connected textures system that makes everything look a millionty billion times better.
    4. Yes.
    Arctic, May 3, 2015
    Last edited by Arctic; at May 3, 2015
  5. 10d22

10d22 Designer

• Dev Member

1. 32x32 (We support other resolutions, but 32x32 is what our artists are making)
    2. The player is 4 ingame blocks high and 2 wide
    3. Alot (I dont actually have the newest build right now, so cant count :laugh:), and we dont have a planned amount for 1.0
    4. not confirmed, but we would like to give the players alot of customization, I can confirmed that you will atleast be able to change a texture or the gear models as you seem fit.
  6. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

I've been told by the devs that the engine itself would actually support higher than 256x textures. Although, it would make for absolutely massive textures when implementing stuff for connected textures and things like that. It's possible, but could be murder on you GPU.
  7. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    We currently recommend up to 256x textures. Though that limit is only because otherwise texture memory requirements would become ridiculous. Textures for just one block, if it uses a connected texture form (which a hell of a lot do), can be quite huge when you consider all the tiles.
    To expand on Seb's answer: the character model will no doubt be slightly less than 4 in-game blocks tall (6'7" [~200cm] is rather quite tall) - I'd guess around 3.75 blocks tall. It probably will also be slightly thinner than 2 blocks wide (I'd guess at ~1.5 blocks, across the shoulders). Though the size isn't yet determined, these sorts of things would make it easier to fit through character-sized portals (doors and such).
    PsychoticLeprechaun, May 8, 2015
    Last edited by PsychoticLeprechaun; at May 8, 2015
    Gingy likes this.
  8. Xion

The character models are made from smaller blocks, right? I guess my question is how many of these smaller 'sub-blocks' does it take to span the length of a regular terrain block?

Assuming it takes 32 sub-blocks to span a regular block, and the character model is around 3.75 blocks tall, as you say. Then the character model would be 120 sub-blocks tall?
  9. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

Thank you for not being one of those developers that just slap a 6'+ model on all the characters. I can understand why people do it, so it's not game breaking, but it's a pretty big immersion breaker, since a large portion of men and women are significantly smaller than that. Personally, I'd love it if you could choose your character's height, but I can understand if that's something that would be difficult, or is something the devs don't want to do.

As for the texture memory requirements, I'm kind of curious how much you would need to push something higher than 256x. I'd imagine it's something that a higher end GPU might be able to handle, like a 900 series GTX or a Titan.
  10. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    We have not got performance benchmarks for the sub-voxels (which could change the numbers), but right now we are aiming at 32x32x32 sub-voxels per normal voxel.

I have no benchmarks on hand for GPU memory usage right now, but it is possible that some lower end cards could achieve higher resolutions nowadays, with the higher VRAM capacities.
  11. 10d22

10d22 Designer

• Dev Member
    The male model is currently 123 blocks tall.
  12. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    The little ones right
    Danarkivus-2 likes this.
  13. 10d22

10d22 Designer

• Dev Member
    yee ofc.
  14. Danarkivus-2

Danarkivus-2 Back Into Space

imagine if it was the big one.