1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions for the Devs

Discussion in 'News and Development' started by Michael-CM, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Michael-CM

Michael-CM Community Manager

• Dev Member
    We are starting a new developer interview series within the video series we currently have on a biweekly basis. Each video will announce the next interviewee as well as include the interview with the previous interviewee. The interview questions for each interview will be drawn from threads such as this one.

Ask whatever questions you may have (within reason) for the developer that we will be interviewing. It will be changing each time, so watch the videos and check the blog updates for information on the one up next! We will choose the best or most popular questions put forward each time.

Next Interviewee: Ben Arnold
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2015
    Michael-CM, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited by PsychoticLeprechaun; at Jul 25, 2015
  2. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

Oh cool! I can't wait for more! :D
  3. ColdFuseon

ColdFuseon Lost in Space

• Contributor
    What will be the price of Seed of Andromeda once it'll be sold on Steam
  4. Potatocat

Potatocat Back Into Space

Will the pre-alpha members get benefits?
  5. Thomas988

When could we get official SoA merchandise? I need t-shirt with Darwin on it! :p
  6. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    Do we super-long-time supporters of SoA get a special bit in the credits?
    Do you think that the ambitious goals of SoA will be possible in the long run?
  7. joppiesaus

joppiesaus Infamous Space-Octopus

What do you think about the story of the developers of Minecraft?
    How do you deal with time(things take longer than you expect them to be)?
    Are you scared for not having a job that brings in money?
    Why is it so hard to keep the tutorials up consistently(everyone loves them, just so you know)?
    When do we get to see the game working in some way?
  8. Danarkivus-2

Danarkivus-2 Back Into Space

will you add stuff to make making machinimas easier,
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  9. Thomas988

I got some more questions!

• What was the initial inspiration for SoA?
    • What is your favorite part about developing the game?
    • Where do you see this game in a year? How about two years?
    • How sophisticated will the physics of space travel be, on a scale from Star Wars (acting like planes in an atmosphere, highly unrealistic) to Kerbal Space Program (all main elements of spaceflight physics, extremely realistic).
    • What is the target audience of SoA?
    • How will weapons affect gameplay?
    • What will you do with the "random planets" feature currently implemented in 0.2.-1.1b?

That is all, I swear! :)
    Thomas988, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited by Thomas988; at Jul 27, 2015
    Lionitow, ColdFuseon and Potatocat like this.
  10. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Just thought I'd let you know that we will endeavour to answer all questions we deem important even if we can't answer all in the interview segment of the video. Well, we'll endeavour to answer them all, but we may save some that are less pressing for future interviews - if another on the team can answer the question (we'll also do this if a question is better answered by another dev) or we go full circle.

Any specific things you want to see? If so these might be good to put in the feature suggestions!
    Snipecoolbunny and ColdFuseon like this.
  11. Sevio

Sevio Back Into Space

Good to see some dev interaction on the community spotlight! I can't think of a good question of my own to Ben right now, but I'll echo Thomas's question about the sophistication of space travel!

As a long time player of KSP I've got a deep appreciation for the scale and difficulty of real space travel (even though KSP spacetravel is quite a bit easier than RL due to the smaller solar system), and with SoA's full scale solar system I would love to see that sense of scale, difficulty and majesty translate through to this game, but at the same time I know there are gameplay concessions and a focus on terrestrial gameplay that play a part here.
    Thomas988 and ColdFuseon like this.
  12. Lionitow

Lionitow Reinvented The Wheel

Are you planning a kickstarter? What about Steam, in the future?
  13. Lionitow

Lionitow Reinvented The Wheel

Another question: why the name "Seed of Andromeda"?
  14. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

What are some aspects of a game that you think signify a "good" game? These can be as objective or subjective as you like. also, sorry for the late response.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    Gingy, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited by Gingy; at Aug 1, 2015
    Sevio and Thomas988 like this.
  15. Snipecoolbunny

Snipecoolbunny Back Into Space

will long time supporters that generate lots of content and are very active on SOA have the chance to become support staff members or even possibly devs?
    will SOA be capable of inter-galactic travel or (even more extreme) go to the edge of the universe? all in a 1-1 scale?
    Thomas988 likes this.
  16. Arpak

Arpak Moderator - Former CM

I can answer that one here I think.

The main ship in the fleet is a colony ship named Andromeda, and the people aboard it were nicknamed "The Seeds", so you are a Seed of Andromeda.
  17. HeadClot

HeadClot Crash Landed

Will the Source code for Seed of Andromeda be open sourced?

I am just curious if there are any plans for this to happen.
  18. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

Apparently, the source code will be closed source until a significant amount of time after the official release. Ben said so in a stream.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    Gingy, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited by Gingy; at Aug 7, 2015
    Snipecoolbunny and HeadClot like this.
  19. HeadClot

HeadClot Crash Landed

Thanks for the reply. :)
  20. Sevio

Sevio Back Into Space

I wouldn't expect the source code to be made open especially if SoA becomes a huge hit like I hope it will, but if at some point far in the future its development stops it might be a nice parting gift for the modding community so they can continue creating ever more awesome content. :)