1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roguelike - SuperForeverAloneInThaDungeon

Discussion in 'Nerd Out Zone' started by joppiesaus, Mar 7, 2015.

1. joppiesaus

joppiesaus Infamous Space-Octopus

I'm developing a roguelike, called SuperForeverAloneInThaDungeon. You have a dungeon, which you can explore, kill enemy's, find stuff(weapons, scrolls, spells, potions...). It's a hobby programming project written in C#.

I started developing almost a year ago, to learn(again) about inheritance(polymorphism). I did a few updates and abandoned it, until a few weeks ago I started working on it again.
    However, the code was poor. The game was poor, the design was poor, the webpage was poor. You change a LOT in a year(especially when you're young). I rewrote practically everything, but I still feel like I lack knowledge to program things efficiently.
    However, I kept working on it, because I find it really fun at the moment. I'm learning about git too(you can help developing), so that produces some additional productivity.

However, I want to make a game I want to play, and what hopefully other people want to play, too. I'm more of a programmer rather than a game designer, and I produce some cool stuff, but the game really isn't going anywhere - I make some neat features, but the idea behind it isn't really fun at the moment.

So, I made a nice *prototype*, with some cool features, and you can play it.

Want moar rogue?
    Here's an excellent video by Scott Manly about rogue.
    Here are some screenshots of SFAITD.
    And here's a direct download of SFAITD Alpha 4.

With this thread, I hope to get some ideas. Some feedback, some comments, some blame, some of everything. I want people to help making the game better.

Why the nerd-out zone? Let's face it, everyone who knows rogue, knows at least some complex numbers. Rogue players are nerds! :)

How do I want the game?
    I want it to be complex. I want it, so you can mix potions and scrolls. I want that the players abilities are the same as the creatures abilities(cast spells, etc).
    I want it mainly to give the user a fun experience, without having to have awesome graphics. It does have to be complex, but the user could get started within seconds.
    It must be simple to get started with. I love rogue, but I honestly don't know how to play it, because I find it hard to get it started with. I mean in a sense that you could just play it and you learn while you play it. Like if you get a scroll in the inventory, you can check it out what it does and what you can do with it.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
    joppiesaus, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited by joppiesaus; at Mar 25, 2015
  2. Jpr

Jpr Industrial Re-revolutionist

OOH! Will try... soon?
  3. joppiesaus

Cool! It's not really playable yet, but it's fun to just crawl around and see what happens.

I made some pretty neat progress. So much tweaking and (re)writing I can't even remember it all. The difference isn't *that* much noticeable, but that's just because I'm so busy writing new systems that I don't really implement new features that much.
    I'm currently rewriting the dungeon generation system, which was a bad idea because it already worked pretty neat, but this one is more customizable.
    There was also a programmer who wanted to help, but sadly I figured out that it wasn't ready to work together yet.
    It shouldn't take too long for a update. I want it to be a week, but it's probably going two weeks, since creative processes are generally unpredictable.

Sooo here's a changelog(what I've done on the current update Alpha 5):
    • Added doors!
    • Commands!
    • Popups!
    • Fire(as an effect)! Yes, you can set things on fire if you have the Fire Aspect enchantment!
    • Enchantments!(but not really implemented yet)
    • Temporary effects, such as being on fire and having an immunity for certain attacks.
    • Weaknesses and immunities
    • Special AI's!
    • Objects!
    • Tons of bug fixed and created!
    • New creature: Grunt! They just stay stationary at their position, until you attack them! They'll follow you and try to make a meal of you!
    • Different types of rooms
    • A sword you can find in chests!
    • Highscores!
    • The list continues...
    And here's what's planned for the next update(what I plan to do before I publish Alpha 5):
    • LoS
    • Enhanced world generation
    • A spawn system
    • Better playability(well, you just play 'til you die)
    EDIT: I made a somewhat playable build. It describes the core idea of the game. It contains a spawn system, but the other features are not or partially implemented. Also: Doors!
    Get it here!
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    joppiesaus, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited by joppiesaus; at Apr 1, 2015
  4. joppiesaus

That got weird
    Against my will, I suddenly lost motivation for the project
    Like I usually do
    But I'm pretty sure I'll pick it up sometime again in the future
    It's the road to the goal that makes it fun, not the goal itself
    Thanks
  5. Jpr

:(
  6. joppiesaus

Yeah. Stuff like this happens. But it's definitely not the end of this project.
    Other people can always contribute if they really want it.

Aaannnnddd you can play the pre-release of Alpha 5 which is a pretty neat tech demo(Says the programmer), it got almost all features listed in my second post
    Or you could play or watch(!) nethack.
  7. Jpr

Can't. Has to leave... in 2 days for the navy.
  8. Nohbdy

Nohbdy Crash Landed

My goodness, I've been wondering about finally trying out some contributing (slash reading other people's code :p), of course I am most familiar with C++.... but... after a few dips of exposure in Java, Visual Basic, PHP, and MySQL (not to say I passed every class >.> but I learned much!)... maybe I can just up and try out C# already!
    Anyway, we'll see what happens - I was about to plow my way through many exercises in a random C++ textbook - but this might be a more worthy pursuit ^.^ Watching your GitHub now though!
  9. Nohbdy

Nohbdy Crash Landed

I enjoyed it!! And now I wish to look at the cooode! I have an urge to fix that wall-turning-to-equal-sign-when-going-west visual bug!
    It was nice to play one of these games and actually "last" long enough to want to keep playing haha, I never got far in NetHack out of confusion :-3 and yet I can play Dwarf Fortress, well, after learning how to over like a week of straight study XD
  10. joppiesaus

Awesome to hear! What version did you play? I can't remember that wall-turning-to-equal-sign-when-going-west visual(Except in the outdated "screen" branch, which was made by another programmer, but I wasn't satisfied with it) bug(please tell me, I'll fix it) D:
    You can always make a fork and just start coding and do pull requests. Don't worry about crappy code. Crappy code is the only code you learn from.
    If you want to look at my code you can browse online just at the github page, but you can also clone it in any git client. Git is a has a learning curve unfortunately, but it's really useful with projects like this.
    So yeah do whatever you like in your fork. I'll take a look at it, and if something awesome happens there, I'll sure add it!