1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Science fiction pet peeves

Discussion in 'Nerd Out Zone' started by Cockroach, Feb 21, 2014.

1. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

Cause, you know... mirrors...
    Just mirrors.
    Hehehe

Anyway, I have no idea how spaceship battles would happen, but distorting light is easy, at that point there will be some developed way to deflect electromag waves (like the earth does).
  2. Causeless

Causeless narcissistic, machiavellian and sadistic

Mirrors aren't 100% reflective. They use lasers to cut mirrors to shape, y'know.

Also, mirrors are designed to reflect certain frequencies of light better than others. A laser doesn't need to be using visible light.

And a speck of dust on the surface? A fingerprint? Anything? Once the laser hits that, shit gets even worse, and now you've got a gaping hole in your relatively pretty fragile mirror surface.
  3. tetryds

I was just telling that lasers arent a superoverpowered weapon that you cannot avoid.
    Again, it's easy to distort light and at such a tech point there will obviously be a way to not let the beam hit your ship.
    And also, you don't have unlimited distance, because a laser isnt a perfect paralel beam, but a cone.
    So there are relativelly big losses under very high distances.
  4. Causeless

The big loss is usually due to an atmosphere, which refracts the laser outwards into a cone. In the vacuum of space, there is no atmosphere to cause that spreading, and it's be negligible with the proper equipment (and future technology).
  5. tetryds

http://www.worldoflasers.com/laserproperties.htm
    Start at: Directionality and beam divergence.
  6. Causeless

I know how lasers work. My point is, the effect would almost insignificant in a future day where we have more precise engineering and better tech, and it definitely a lot smaller than the diffusion the atmosphere causes. Certaintly, a laser could still reach a LOT further and have higher chance of causing damage than firing any bullet would.
  7. Cockroach

Cockroach Crash Landed

I'm always fascinated at how cultures and trends change over time. Simply look at people from 1913 and compare it to those living in the middle ages, and yet in most cases the future is always depicted as: "The 21th century, BUT WITH LASERS AND FLYING CARS".

Well, sure we already have those but you get what I'm saying......
  8. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    Think about what you thought the future would be like in 1980. Now look at the calender.
    So disappointed.
  9. Bewildered Burrito

Bewildered Burrito Crash Landed

my biggest pet peeves are:
    open flames in the vacuum of space, sure an explosion makes a bit of sense if it contains fire, provided oxygen comes from explosive decompression but the wing of a fighter, in complete vacuum, usually without any actual combustible fuel is ridiculous.

that and ship thruster have a complete disregard for newtons first law, in atmosphere you have air resistance to compensate for, in space there is no reason to constantly have your thrusters on, your not going to slow down in any reasonable amount of time.

on the plus side the smart phone is far cooler than most other communication devices thought of in those times, there's not many cases of showing a small object containing mans collective intelligence being used to look at cats and argue with strangers for no reason...
  10. Tikon

Tikon Sexy Pizza Eating Dwarf (*^3^)/~☆

The reason why this happen is to appeal the audience, same as when George Lucas and other producers make sounds in space. Imagine the Death Star or a Star Destroyer silently imploding