1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seed of Andromeda (Spaceship, not game) Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gutza1, Feb 23, 2015.

1. gutza1

gutza1 Kerbal Overlord

I think we need to start a discussion on the Andromeda itself. For those that don't know, the Andromeda is the colony ship that takes you to Aldrin in the beginning but is ambushed by a crippled alien fleet and shot down. Here are my thoughts:

Technological Assumptions

I am assuming that humanity has the following future tech and/or assets: Portable railguns (as in, portable enough to be side-arms), nanomaterials tech and its derivatives (nanotube/steel alloys, nanotube clothing, highly advanced batteries, the list goes on and on), developed wearable computers, ubiquitous 3D-printers, Internet of Things, Helium-3 based anuetronic fusion reactors, cybernetic implants, genetic engineering (as in, being able to cure genetic diseases so any offspring won't inherit them), a transition to vertical farming and an artificial replacement for gluten-based foods, basic terraforming technology, quantum mainframe computers, asteroid mining used to provide raw materials for industry, space colonies, animal-level AIs, electromagnetic-based radiation shielding, and finally, the elephant in the room, primitive Alcubierre/Warp drives that can only be mounted on capital ships.

General Design

I'm imagining the Andromeda as either a long, spire-like ship with a ring surrounding its middle (a warp ring), or looking like a bigger version of the NASA concept FTL starship:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It would have a control bridge in front, engines in the back, and everything else in between. However, it would have a circular cross-section so as to utilize artificial gravity through spinning (like how the Endurance from Interstellar is circular).

Modules
    Here are some of the modules/systems my version of the Seed of Andromeda would have:

• Fusion Plants: These reactors would run off of Helium-3 (because Helium-3 fusion is anuetronic and therefore requires no steam turbines to operate. Also it doesn't irradiate the reactor like with Deuterium/Tritium fusion) and would be used to provide energy for the spaceship and its systems. Also would be used as a direct tap for the ship's engines.
    • Engines: Taps the fusion plants for plasma and shoots it out the back at ludicrous speeds through powerful electromagnets. Also can be used as short-range torch weapons in case of emergency.
    • Hull: Made of advanced carbon nanotube/steel alloy. Regularly inter-spaced with tiny cameras that feed to monitors on the inside of the ship. Windows are too much of a risk in the depths of space.
    • Bridge: Located on the front of the ship. Functions as a control room. Houses a quantum computer-based AI that controls all of the ship's systems. The AI is neither sapient nor sentient. Has manual override.
    • Population Zone: Houses the colonists'/crew's quarters as well as community areas.
    • Agriculture Area: Contains the ship's aquaponic growing units. Grows fruits and vegetables, as well as an genetically engineered replacement for grain that is more friendly to a human's digestive system.
    • Storage: Contains all of the equipment used to start the colony on arrival, as well as supplies.
    • Life-support & Maintenance: Yep. All maintenance activates are performed by robots.
    • Radiation Shield: Projects an electromagnetic force-field to protect against cosmic rays/ electromagnetic radiation.
    • Docking Bay/Hangar: Stores all smaller vehicles, as well as providing a place for them to dock with the Andromeda.
    • Railgun Batteries: Used to protect the Andromeda in case hostile and sapient lifeforms with Space-Age technology are encountered. Are controlled remotely and do not need to be manned, however there is an option for the latter in case there is a problem with the weapons computer.
    • Alcubierre/Warp Drive: Consists of one/two rings surrounding the Andromeda. Allows the ship to travel at up to 10c depending on how much power is allocated to it.
    • RCS: Since the Andromeda is a gargantuan starship, the RCS is the standard main plasma engines found on small cargo ships.
    • Manufactory: Contains an array of small and large 3D-printers, as well as raw materials necessary to use them. They are used to manufacture spare parts for the trip, as well as being used as a factory when the Andromeda has arrived at Aldrin.
    So, what do you think? Remember, this is just my suggestion. This thread is supposed to be a discussion thread anyway. Please comment. Especially if you are happened to be named Benjamin.

Edit1: Added RCS and Manufactory modules. Just to clarify things, The Warp Rings themselves don't house all of the subsystems. They just house the Warp Drive.
    Edit2: Changed the name of Seed of Andromeda to just Andromeda.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    gutza1, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited by gutza1; at Feb 23, 2015
    tetryds likes this.
  2. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

Those are very nice and far from ridiculous ideas, I like it.
    Just need to mention that the rings drive the warp drives, you can't really have stuff inside of them to make use of centripetal gravity.
    You can, however, have magnetic boots :)
    I don't think that the exact speed at which it travels matters right now, I believe it's another topic of discussion, for later, and can have a big impact on the game plot.
  3. zeroinnocent

zeroinnocent Tester

• Tester
    From an artistic look making rings in SOA is really difficult since every block is square. it might look good if the ship is large enough. the game is in the future so it might be good to find another method than using rings.
  4. gutza1

gutza1 Kerbal Overlord

Thanks! However, the ship itself (and the interior floorpans) would be cylindrical to use centripetal gravity. The rings would be used for just the warp drive.

Well, I have two reasons why I think we don't have to worry about making voxel rings.

1. Each block is 1/8 of the size of a Minecraft block, and making Minecraft rings isn't that hard if you have a diagram.
    2. The SoA is REALLY FRIKKIN BIG!

Also, I've edited the post to add RCS and the Manufactory subsystems.
  5. Danarkivus-2

Danarkivus-2 Back Into Space

i like what you have here. but how big would the ship be 3km 5km 1km.
  6. gutza1

gutza1 Kerbal Overlord

I honestly don't know. Probably in the 3-1 km range. That's up to Ben to decide.
  7. Arpak

Arpak Moderator - Former CM

I actually discussed the name with the team and we are most likely changing it to "Andromeda" instead of "Seed of Andromeda", it makes more sense because now the player is a Seed of Andromeda.
  8. Danarkivus-2

9. gutza1

gutza1 Kerbal Overlord

Okay, changed it. So I guess Andromeda is the destination? Probably not the Andromeda Galaxy, though. Intergalatic travel seems a bit too advanced for Earth's tech level in the game.
  10. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    We are still very much in the discussion and development phase of our backstory (far before and just preceding gameplay) but the game will indeed not be taking you outside of the Milky Way, and Andromeda is the ship, and the colonists on board are seeds of that ship (hence Seed of Andromeda - the game's name referring to you yourselves as the player!), at least that is our current thinking on the naming we should go for!
    Danarkivus-2 and Arpak like this.
  11. Jpr

Jpr Industrial Re-revolutionist

I just have one question about the ship. Is it FTL or STL?
  12. Danarkivus-2

i don't know i think it would be STL.
  13. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    The Andromeda should be the height of technology. It should be the player's goal to reach that level of technology, the end-game.
  14. Danarkivus-2

15. Jpr

Hmm. Why? Isn't the unspecified alien race supposed to be higher?
  16. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    Yeah, there's no reason the state of humanity at the point of colonisation should be end-game! We'll have to wait and see on where we go with the technologies.
  17. Jpr

FTL or STL? If known.
  18. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    The ship will technically be STL, though capable of FTL travel through exploiting principles of Einstein's General Relativity (check out the Alcubierre drive for an idea of how this'd work!). Of course, this is current thinking, and may not reflect the end result (though it is very likely to stay true at this point).
    PsychoticLeprechaun, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited by PsychoticLeprechaun; at Feb 24, 2015
  19. Jpr

*blinks* Sorry. I know it's technically STL, when the engines are off:rolleyes:. My question is, as of now, is the Andromeda's form of INTERSTELLAR travel FTL or STL. Is the FTL drive something that can be used for sustained periods(sustained being capable of covering multiple lightyears at warp, possibly with multiple jumps), or is it a short range engine, like a steamship that can only carry a ton or 2 of coal(still REALLY useful in combat... but not really for stellar distances)?
  20. Con No 1

Con No 1 Tester

• Tester
    I like it! I think it would be better if it was "The Andromeda Mk.1" or something. Just calling it "Andromeda" could confuse it with the galaxy very easily.