1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seed of Andromeda (Spaceship, not game) Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gutza1, Feb 23, 2015.

1. gutza1

gutza1 Kerbal Overlord

I consider a ship to be FTL if it is capable of traveling to a destination in equal or less time than its light-distance from the ship.
  2. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    By that definition, the ship is capable of FTL.
  3. Jpr

Jpr Industrial Re-revolutionist

Same here. I mean, if it can go FTL for one lighthour, then needs to wait a week...
    EDIT-I see. Great! At least we know what to try and design now.
    Jpr, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited by Jpr; at Feb 24, 2015
  4. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    My personal preference is the bigger, the better. More humans in the fleet means more humans on the surface.
  5. Jpr

Well, that depends on the speed of the FTL, and whether or not the Andromeda was about to head outsystem to earth once it dropped it's first wave off...
  6. Con No 1

Con No 1 Tester

• Tester
    By humans do you mean AI or actual players?
  7. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    The Andromeda and the rest of the fleet were going to rest in orbit.

AI
  8. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    I think for story mode play, co-op play should be limited to just a few players, and they should always be in a party, so they can experience quests together. Ofc the default server experience will probably be like MC where its just a big sandbox.
  9. Jpr

Ok. So they were intended as a one way trip, right?
    EDIT-Or at least to remain for a few years to support the colony.
    Jpr, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited by Jpr; at Feb 24, 2015
  10. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    One way trip I believe. Even with FTL, the journey takes a few years.
  11. Arpak

Arpak Moderator - Former CM

We had a whole mockup military designation, but I don't remember it and I don't remember if we were even using it.
  12. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    We are doing a lot of work on backstory right now, if any of you have any suggestions, feel free to make them! We will give you more details when we have an actual finalised piece to share, until then we will look at any suggestions and work to incorporate any good ideas we see - that fit with finalised bits or otherwise the theme of the backstory!
  13. Jpr

Do we want pieces of the colonization gear on the surface intact?
  14. Arpak

An idea we had was to have crashed pieces of the ship or crashed escape pods strewn about for you to scavage supplies if you happen to run into it, how would you guys feel about that?
  15. Jpr

It'd be neat, but have to either be done at a low level (broken stuff only), or allow limited access to much higher tech stuff (like a surface lander that softlanded with an intact rover inside). I'd be fine with the intact stuff.
  16. Danarkivus-2

Danarkivus-2 Back Into Space

@Con No 1 maybe it should be called the UEFS(united earth fleet ship) Andromeda.
    Danarkivus-2, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited by Danarkivus-2; at Feb 25, 2015
  17. Arpak

Or possibly the loot adapts to what progression level you are at, then again it could also be just basic raw materials.
  18. Jpr

OH PLEASE GOD NO. NO LOOT PROGRESSION! THAT annoys me more than anything.
    "Oh, so you can only make a spear on your own now? Look, a wreck! It contains the NEW SPACE SPEAR!"
    If you want to lock the loot by progression, put in geographical obstacles, such as having the main wreck site 50-60 miles away, or underwater, or near hostile aliens, or IN ORBIT... just don't make me trek to a wreck site, pry open the hull, and only get the SPEAR MK 2!
    I think limited access to things before you can make them would be a good gameplay and resource management feature.
    tetryds likes this.
  19. Danarkivus-2

Danarkivus-2 Back Into Space

i would hate loot progresses just make it that the ship is inaccessible until you tech level is something like 2120
  20. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    Mhm.

We should use natural limitations to restrict loot access, rather than artificial bullcrap.
    Jpr likes this.