1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ship physics / sinking

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by no name, Jul 31, 2014.

?

Is this topic something you want to see

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. In

10.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. no name

no name Crash Landed

Here's something I've been thinking about. Is it possible for ships to sink in a realistic way,like if you hit the front with an object will the ship start flood with proper physics,and if a bulkhead is blocking the water flow will the flooding stop and the ships speed is decreased . Or say you make some coastal npcs mad and they send a navy after you to sink your fleet of ship and then have to engage in naval combat. (This is my first post)
  2. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    Probably. We could get a value to track the amount of water in the ship's hull, and if it exceeds a certain amount, the ship sinks.
  3. no name

no name Crash Landed

I have a question arcic.when the Titanic sank she split in two would that be possible,and will the sinking be based on physics
    no name, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited by no name; at Jul 31, 2014
  4. Arctic

• Tester
    Uh, probably not, no.
  5. no name

no name Crash Landed

Are you talking about the ship breaking from stress,or the sinking being affected by physics ? (Etc. the ship is holed on the port side and capsizing to the port)
  6. Arctic

• Tester
    Yeah, that would be rather a bit too CPU intensive for something that would provide very little to no benefit. Most of the time, your ship would be fine, but phys calculations would still need to be carried out.
  7. no name

no name Crash Landed

You brought me in to the second part. Npc's, say you were trans porting Cargo for Npc's and if you made it you get a
    Bonus. if you don't you gets a penalty possibly in money resources or relations or you're life. Maybe the village wants to have you go commerce raiding against their enemies. The ship sinking would be a extra touch
  8. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

Eh, no I don't think it would be CPU intensive at all.
    If stress is feasible it should deffinitelly be in game (I would like to see it both for vehicles and buildings).
    Ships are a super cool idea, with the physics engine the game plans to have, you can do it.
    There is an issue that the water are blocks and the ship is unlocked from the grid, but I am totally sure there are ways to figure out if the hull is fine or there are holes on it.
    It would not be perfect, but reasonable.
    tetryds, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited by tetryds; at Jul 31, 2014
  9. no name

no name Crash Landed

Ya I love watching stuff break ,explode or sink
  10. _zombiehunter

_zombiehunter Artist & Designer

• Dev Member
    _zombiehunter, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited by _zombiehunter; at Jul 31, 2014
    tetryds likes this.
  11. no name

no name Crash Landed

Uhh thanks?
  12. Arctic

• Tester
  13. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Industrial Re-revolutionist

I think it'd be interesting to have ship sinking and physics applied to them, but I'm not sure how realistic it could be if it's even possible to implement. This sounds like something that may end up as a mod, and one that sucks up quite a bit of performance.
  14. Arctic

• Tester
    Exactly; It would be great to have, but damn would it eat performance.
  15. tetryds

We can't say that as we have no idea how it would be made.
    You are underestimating Ben's power, dude.
  16. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Industrial Re-revolutionist

Real-time liquid physics would eat power. If he can come up with a simplified model, great. I still don't see this as a priority or even something that'll add a great deal to the game unless...

...You're planning on building an underwater base, aren't you? Now I know where to start looking when multiplayer opens up.
  17. tetryds

There is real time liquid physics already.
    Have you ever played the game?
    There will be pressure to, up to a point.
    And that can be used for structural integrity.
    Also, he was talking about moving entities, which could be faked somehow to allow you to sink, depending on what your ship is made of.
  18. Lazarus

Lazarus Reinvented The Wheel

So what I've got from this so far is; I'm going to be able to remake the Titanic, and the iceberg, and replay the events of the movie in the game, record it, and sell it for many dollars, because everyone wants a remake of the Titanic.
  19. _zombiehunter

_zombiehunter Artist & Designer

• Dev Member
    Don't forget to add lots of explosions :p
  20. Arctic

• Tester
    Ka-BOOM! Ka-BOOM!