1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should SOA be limited to at least T-rated content?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gutza1, Jun 23, 2014.

1. gutza1

gutza1 Kerbal Overlord

tl;dr: The devs should consider the teen/below 16 nerds and the opportunities of using this game as a teaching tool.

First of all, let me state that SOA is a game with a HUGE amount of potential. If made well, it will satisfy many players' engineering fantasies much more than Minecraft tech mods/ mod packs like Tekkit ever will. However, if SOA becomes rated 16+, it will discourage many younger nerds/geeks from playing this game, which would be a shame, because this game has the potential to spark much more interest in STEM subjects than Minecraft does. I think that the devs should restrict SOA's content to at least T(13+) rated levels. It is important to discuss this now when the game is still in the equivalent of Minecraft's classic/indev stage, rather when it is receiving a lot of new content.

Discuss your opinions below.

P.S. Personally, I am 13 years old and a nerd (I play D&D weekly and have landed probes on other planets in Kerbal Space Program), and my parents would not take to kindly to me asking them to let me play an M rated game.
    gutza1, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited by gutza1; at Jun 23, 2014
  2. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

No one forbids you from playing a game rated for an age higher than yours as long as it's under a responsible's consent.
    It would be possible to have an option to disable blood or other visual things.
    And you will be at least 15 when the game can be considered actually a game, not much to worry about that either.
    tetryds, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited by tetryds; at Jun 23, 2014
  3. gutza1

gutza1 Kerbal Overlord

I'm talking about younger kids when the game will be considered a game. Schools may not decide to use this as a STEM teaching tool because of the rating.
  4. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

Nothing prevents SOA from having a second version aimed for another public in the future, under a project just like McEdu or KSPEdu.
    Your concerns are understandable, but I wouldn't be worried too much.
  5. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    I feel that in terms of us producing Seed of Andromeda in game form, we should focus on producing content and features that will make it the most enjoyable experience possible for the style of game we are targetting. Once all the features are in, an Edu project could easily limit certain features to make it more suitable for younger children!
  6. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    As a 13 year old nerd, I basically just play Counter Strike all the time. And look at CoD's fanbase.
    We REALLY need to think about gameplay and fun before ratings. Obviously, as mentioned before, a separate version for EDU and also an option to disable gore would go down well.
  7. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    This is how I feel exactly.