1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smoothing Terrain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by d3x0r, Sep 17, 2014.

1. d3x0r

d3x0r Crash Landed

A while ago starforge posted a short article about terrain smoothing out of square blocks....
    http://steamcommunity.com/games/227680/announcements/detail/1730816859952202635

7 days to die had a patch for a while that was unsmoothed, and their blocks were very square and then they went back to more of a diagonal map and semi-smoothed blocks... and now their terrain is very smooth; would be nice to see improvements on smoothness of the meshing algorithm... the underlaying data doesn't have to change. (7.6 had very square blocks; 7.5 and anthing after was smoother... the change was really whether they were compued from a 90 or 45 degree angle from the grid line... I tried to find good examples of 7.6 blocky terrain but cannot... and now (at least last 2 patches) the terrain is very smoothed.
  2. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    Voxel smoothing algorithms like the one Starforge is using are pretty neat! It looks like Starforge is using dual contouring specifically, like Miguel Cepero's voxel farm sandbox. At this time we are choosing to stick with blocky meshes as a style choice. Blocks are just so simple to build with, and you can make so many interesting structures with them! It is like adult legos! Besides, so many games are going with the smoothed terrain approach, like Blockscape, Starforge, Voxel Farm Sandbox, and more. We feel that there are a lot of cool games with smoothing, but not so many that have decided to use blocks (not including Minecraft). That gives us a bit of uniqueness.
  3. d3x0r

d3x0r Crash Landed

many many I've seen in development have cubes. I thought 7 days to die was a nice compromise... at lease they did 45 degree diagonals across steps.
    But they also have blocks that are not rough, and are meant for building square.... really it's just a flag on the block type (or block each block used... make a cube bomb and a smoothing bomb :) )... in theory it could be a option for the client to show blocks or not...
    I dunno this week it looks like something I'd like to try

This is my project...
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B812EYiKwtkkdjctejQ3OTZYRWs
    https://code.google.com/p/c-system-abstraction-component-gui/wiki/dekwarewhatis

it's a really good voxel engine (Seeds of Androemeda)
    I get 60fps + a couple usually... and I dug a really big hole so the landscap disappeared and showed the planet smooth background behind it. I like the layering... I eventually turned the view distance up to 400 (too far? not really...) and across the hole I still saw through to the bacground a little :) Very nice choice of fogging :)

I was also pondering a plant growth alogrithm...

I'd also like to implement chain reaction in a 3d space :) (another project under wiki/current downloads)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
    d3x0r, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited by d3x0r; at Sep 19, 2014
  4. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

Interesting thing, d3x0r, even though I didn't fully understand what it is supposed to be, haha.
    The "background" thing are the world meshes, after the blocks.
    They will receive a lot of work later, and you will probably not see it when looking at a big hole anymore.