1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sneak should prevent you from walking over edge higher than voxel heigh of player

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Agarthan, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Agarthan

Agarthan Reinvented The Wheel

Thread title says it all, similarly to Minecraft duck/sneak should prevent you from walking over an edge that is one height distance of the player, which is 4 voxels I believe?
  2. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    The rounded height of the player is indeed 4 voxels. I am sure there will be a balance button in the game, whether it is the same button as used to crouch in SoA would be tbd, however.
  3. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

I think it'd be much better with the "balance" button for hanging off edges like that than to have Minecraft's simulation of Looney Toons physics by sneaking and walking off the edge.
  4. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

Yeah, it should not lock you from falling completelly, just help, so if you force yourself towards the edge you should fall anyway.
    By falling off an edge it should be possible to hang on it to avoid death, there is a good minecraft mod example of some parkour possibilities, and also some games that have nice stuff.
    Parkour is something very interesting, and it will be completelly redomade.
    If I can come up with a more detailed idea about it I may make a forum topic for discussion of this specific aspect.
  5. Restless

Restless Terraformer

I think crawling should completely stop you, though. That's pretty much the position you assume if you want to peer over a cliff edge in real life but don't want to fall off - getting on your belly makes it nice and secure.
  6. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Restless makes a good argument, the only reason I am not sure about it, is that, dependent on how AI identify your presence, crouching may be used as a form of sneaking (combat is going to play a fairly large role in SoA, I am sure) and so you want to have as good maneuverability over blocks as possible. This has always been an issue for me when sneaking about in Minecraft, every block "ledge" requires you to briefly stop sneaking. This is why I personally would argue for a separate button, anyway.
  7. tetryds

A "GRAB" button could fix this issue.
    Instead of sneaking, when grabbing is held near an edge the player will slow down and climb it down.
    This would allow you to sneak at any situation without interference!
    And also makes easier when you want to sneak and fall down without having to drop sneaking.
    It will be usefull for it's purpose aswell, hold an edge that is on the ground (its usually a very complicated move without proper support).
    tetryds, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited by tetryds; at Apr 21, 2014
    sam_spohn likes this.
  8. sam_spohn

sam_spohn Crash Landed

I like the idea of a grab button. when super strength is implemented through power armor I will want to grab vehicles (or other large objects) and throw them at enemies
    tetryds likes this.
  9. tetryds

I never thought about using the grab this way, it's an awesome idea!
    All I had in mind was using grab as of climbing and holding ledges, never thought that you could actually use it to actually grab any kind of item.
    Which makes it a lot more awesome, and intuitive.
    Nice idea.