1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SoA Language?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Potatocat, May 11, 2015.

1. Potatocat

Potatocat Back Into Space

I'm wondering if anyone is interested in making a language for the SoA community. It would be nice to have something that makes us set out from other communities BESIDES the game itself. Klingon is an example.
    NeonSturm likes this.
  2. Chaser04

Chaser04 Reinvented The Wheel

That actually seems like a good idea, since there will be other alien races out there in the solar system. Maybe you would need to create some sort of communicator to be able to speak to them.
  3. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    I don't think we have the time or the resources, but if we could it would be cool. I doubt anyone would learn it though.
  4. Potatocat

Well this isn't really anything the devs have to do, we could do this on our own. As a community. :D I have faith in US.
    NeonSturm likes this.
  5. Danarkivus-2

Danarkivus-2 Back Into Space

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
    Danarkivus-2, May 11, 2015
    Last edited by Danarkivus-2; at May 11, 2015
  6. Potatocat

I was thinking more along the lines of a Latin based language, like futuristic English. Much like the transition from Old English to modern English.
  7. NeonSturm

NeonSturm Back Into Space

*joke "letter-symbols"*
    :DBig grin - :confused:Confused - :okaay:Disturbed - o_OEr what - :(Frown -- :rolleyes:Roll eyes - :)Smile - ;)Wink - :nuke:Mushroom cloud - :radioactive:Radioactive​

*more serious*
    :music:-like M (music)
    :soa:-like A (Seed-of-Andromeda ofc)
    :nuke:-like T or I
    ((only the shape, without colour)​

Now just some random thoughts ....

Languages may differ not only with characters but also in syntax.
    Instead of lower-case and upper-case, you could have good and bad letters.
    • Good: For casual language
    • Bad: Pronounced a little bit differently and used for profanity or if you praise something and mean it ironically.

IRL, there is (at least) one language, which incoorperates france, chineese and other language words, change the pronouncing to get different meanings.
    • ~ above, means that you start the syllable with your voice being low, going high, low and then high again.
    • ` above, means that you start with a high voice and go low

But perhaps we have uploaded our minds into robot brains to resist forces >100g and now use some C++ like language.​
  8. Snipecoolbunny

Snipecoolbunny Back Into Space

... um. i think we should stick with english. or AMERICAN! :laugh: i think it would be cool for the alien species to have their own language, and if we deciphered their language, we can A) talk to them, and B) know what they plan to do and we would be able to decipher their battle plans and commands. just a thought:soa:
  9. Danarkivus-2

whats American?
    Snipecoolbunny likes this.
  10. Snipecoolbunny

american is the slangy version of english. americans say color instead of colour and the like. subtle differences but they make a difference.
  11. Danarkivus-2

weird!
    Danarkivus-2, May 11, 2015
    Last edited by Danarkivus-2; at May 11, 2015
  12. Snipecoolbunny

13. NeonSturm

And "black" is the descendant of "bhleg", which was shine|flash in an ancient Europe language.
    • English: day, garden, utilize|use, necessary|undertake|force
    • German: Tag, Garten, benutzen|verwenden, nötigen|verpflichten|zwingen
    • Ur-Germanisch: dayaz, hortus, empregar, obrigar
    Lat: Hydrogenium -> Water maker (von hydör -> Wasser)

Orkish (Warhammer): Big Boyz, gunz, dakka, ...

One language (called runes?) had letters formed by a simple rule:
    • No horizontal lines.
    • Just lines, no curves.
    • Because it it easier to carve them into horizontal lined wooden planks
    • like: N I W X M
    • unlike: T H L G B

Why should we not use German instead? :D I've read that it did not got the world language because of one bribed vote.
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
    NeonSturm, May 11, 2015
    Last edited by NeonSturm; at May 11, 2015
  14. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    Why not Orcish. Why not that, when the language is translated, it sounds like Orcish.
  15. Chaser04

Chaser04 Reinvented The Wheel

I agree with a Latin based language. Since most of our languages today are highly based off of Latin and Greek, we could definitely do that. I am also currently studying Latin and I could definitely be of help.
    Potatocat likes this.
  16. Potatocat

Actually colour was changed to color in the USA English dictionary because the "u" seemed unnecessary. And no, changing colour to color makes no difference other than it's easier to type/write. Do you think "program" needs an extra m and an e? That would be "programme." To me, that just looks like more work. So no, "American" is not the slang of proper English, it is the more efficient, completely separate, U.S. version, you damned traitor.....

Jk, but I make my point.
    Potatocat, May 12, 2015
    Last edited by Potatocat; at May 12, 2015
  17. Danarkivus-2

what if he is not American?
    then he is not a traitor
  18. Potatocat

Well why not ask him?
  19. Danarkivus-2

why not you ask him?
  20. NeonSturm

Efficiency, I could agree.

But I also think that (at least IRL) it's important that language doesn't changes too fast.
    If we could go back to Latin, no child would have to learn in school that Hydro has to do with water. They already learn it as basic language.

Example:
    We could decide to call it (de)Wasserstoff or (en)Water-substance, but that would break the accessibility to books we wrote before today.

Changing language also makes knowledge accessible to less peoples. It might be good for a game but is bad for the real life.
    Snipecoolbunny likes this.