1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SoA "Not A Valid Win32 Application"?

Discussion in 'Seed of Andromeda' started by Gingy, May 25, 2015.

1. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

Upon trying to run the 0.2.0 demo, I got an error message that basically says the executable file is "not a valid Win32 application". I didn't see anything in the Readme file that mentioned having to do anything prior to installation. I thought it might be that I need to install whatever came with 0.1.6 that had to be installed(I don't have it in front of me, so I don't remember the name). However, I didn't see anything related to that, and got the same error message when trying to run Visualinfo.exe. I got a separate error for awesomium_process.exe that mentions a missing DLL file. I got the same error message for glewinfo.exe as well. I thought it might have something to do with the fact that my computer is using a 32-bit OS, but I was under the impression that SoA didn't even have a 64-bit version out yet. If it helps further, I'm using Windows XP (yes, I know you don't officially support Windows XP, but I had no problems at all running any of your previous version in XP. The experience was one with a poor FPS, as is the nature of having a REALLY dated CPU, and only 3GB of RAM, but that seems to be saved by the fact that I have a fairly decent graphics card that runs OpenGL 4(I tihink it's 4.2, but I don't remember which version of OpenGL specifically.).

I'll provide any other information that may be needed to help remedy this. Any help is appreciated.
  2. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    I double checked the file, and it would seem to be indeed x86. Awesomium won't work any more as we don't use it, and so it is probably missing necessary DLLs. There is a possibility that in the rewrite an incompatibility with WinXP has made its way into the engine, in which case it might not be resolvable (depends on how much we need the thing causing the incompatibility). That said, it could be as simple as a corruption during download, so maybe try redownloading?
  3. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

I'll try redownloading it later today and get back to you on whether or not it still works. If the game is still made with SDL/OpenGL, I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't be compatible with Windows XP, but I don't completely rule it out as a possibility. I'll probably have to... *cough* "rent" a Windows 7/8 install until I have the money for a legitimate disk.
  4. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Haha, yeah, it's well worth getting a Win7 on discount if you can, for the free upgrade to Win10 (as it will be the last Windows major version release - so it would be the last OS you'd need to get till Linux becomes even more awesome).
  5. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    Hey there, the reason it's not working is because we switched from the v120_xp platform toolset to the v120 toolset. Once he gets back on i'll talk to Cristian about why. If there is a good reason to use v120 over v120_xp, the solution might be to offer a separate build for XP users.
  6. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

Thank you. Don't let me stop you from going with v120 over v120_xp, because I shouldn't be running XP for too terribly long. Depending on the price, I might just go with Windows 10 once it comes out of beta. If it's close to, or more, than 7/8, I'll just save up for 8.1.
    Benjamin likes this.
  7. Cristian Zaloj

Cristian Zaloj Game Programmer

• Dev Member
    The reason I switched the platform toolset to a newer one was because the older doesn't support all features of new Windows users. I assumed the compiled binaries would have still been compatible, but I guess it was not the case since XP has no more updates. We will be creating binary distributables for both Windows XP users and 32-bit Vista+ users separately from now on.
  8. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

Well, I appreciate you and the other devs dealing with people like me that are stuck with dated software for the time being. Honestly, I was surprised to see that you guys were going to do that, because I see more and more software dropping XP support. I just hope that this doesn't prove to be a burden on development.
  9. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    TIL people still use XP. I think /r/softwareswap can give you some good deals.