1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

State of Development Update Blog Post - June 2016

Discussion in 'News and Development' started by PsychoticLeprechaun, Jun 20, 2016.

1. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Here we have it, the long awaited development update blog post!

There's a lot to it so be sure to read it all and let us know what you think. We're certainly excited by the changes we're making and we think they will only make SoA and ourselves better.

- Matt
  2. joppiesaus

joppiesaus Infamous Space-Octopus

I was so excited to see this that I quickly clicked the "like" button only to find out it was the "report" button!

EDIT: Wow I read it. I don't know what to say.

Cool! Though I have a worry: The new "small" game is really seems to be a big game. First you say "A brutal shooter", then you say "dynamic cover creation", then you say "entirely moddable", all very big features! It seems to me like "oh I'll it isn't too big I'll make this in a few days" and then turns out to be way bigger then you thought(this happened to me a lot).

Very excited for the shooter, and still excited for the development of SoA. Would love to contribute in some small ways, i.e. in ideas, making maps, blah blah like now with SoA.

Slightly off-topic: Also would love to see the MakingGamesWithBen episodes, I think I forgot everything, too bad I don't know where I am and my codebase is different, maaaannnn I wish I'd known git that time.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    joppiesaus, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited by joppiesaus; at Jun 20, 2016
    Shashwah and ColdFuseon like this.
  3. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

Wow, really interesting stuff! This isn't what I expected SoA to become, but hey, this new direction sounds real neat and I can't wait to see where it takes us. :D

Quick question: are these games going to take place in the SoA universe, or totally different? Or could it be both?
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  4. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    The game has a much more focused scope than SoA does. The dynamic cover creation is pretty much just to say that both creation and destruction of voxels in the worldspace will be possible. The three most significant features to implement will be movement - we have a good idea of what will work and won't from our playing with Ben's old parkour system - the FPS component and the multiplayer, with each being things we want in SoA too. So time spent on those, and other features that would go into SoA will be dev time effectively spent on both games simultaneously.

That said, the game isn't small like tutorial-size small, it will still be a full game and will take time to develop to its end-point. But definitely multiple times quicker than SoA would if we just focused on that. EDIT: Plus, we are being more careful to develop in a way that lets you get your hands on more and more complete builds as development progresses!

I can't wait to see what everyone can make! Map creation will be a very early aspect people can play about with, and gameplay will be modifiable very easily so if you want to try out an idea for a gamemode it is as simple as just putting together a script and hopping in the game to try out.

Ben's been really busy with work, and that hasn't changed as sadly work doesn't know summer break. That said, I do know that if it were to continue he is particularly interested in hopping straight into a 3D tutorial before revisiting 2D.

SoA is the same as ever! Though certainly the team has become something none of us would have expected in terms of work creating really useful and powerful tools as well as becoming almost a full-on studio with how we're approaching development now. But really the truth is that we're still the same as ever, just going about working on our passion projects in a way that is likely to make them become a reality, even if it takes a while!

No reason they can't be in the same universe! Seb actually brought up the idea when we were first discussing the arena shooter. If we do make it so, how that is worked in is yet to be figured out! :D
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    PsychoticLeprechaun, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited by PsychoticLeprechaun; at Jun 21, 2016
    joppiesaus, ColdFuseon and Thomas988 like this.
  5. Sevio

Sevio Back Into Space

Quite an interesting read, and I'm sure developing this smaller game will help you as a team gain the experience you need to realize the final vision for SoA, while getting a tangible result in the short term which will be encouraging for developers and players alike.

Will this new, smaller game be working off the same engine/codebase as SoA itself? Or are the two disconnected and does code have to be migrated over if you want to use something in both places?

If it's the former, this sounds quite a bit like the star citizen model of development where they started with Arena Commander and slowly work up towards adding more content and different ways to play, leading up to the full realization of the game they wanted to make at the end. If the codebases are integrated, what is the likelihood of releasing new SoA builds which have these features that are being added for the shooter game, to be used in a pure sandbox type of environment?

These wouldn't have to receive any polish, merely allow players to utilize these features as-is, even if they have to add LUA code themselves to harness it. For example the arena building features being added for the shooter game leading to a new SoA build where voxel building is again possible even though the terrain generation is in an unfinished state.

Either way I wish you and the team all the best in the new direction you've taken. :)
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    Sevio, Jun 21, 2016
    Last edited by Sevio; at Jun 21, 2016
  6. _zombiehunter

_zombiehunter Artist & Designer

• Dev Member
    It's a separate game, but it runs on the Vorb engine, like SoA does, which should make shifting certain features over to SoA relatively easy.
    PsychoticLeprechaun likes this.
  7. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    The two will be working off of the Vorb engine that we have developed to base SoA off of. This approach will let us flesh out the engine to make it much more useful across different games. Game-specific code will be independent, but finding a good architecture for it in developing one game should make it all the easier to implement it in other games - especially so in the case of going from a fairly narrow focus game to SoA.

Edit: sniped! :p

I thought this as well, though I think we're taking a slightly different approach in that their modules really aren't fully-fledged games you would want to have on their own, where as we want to go through the full process from start to finish to get an understanding of shipping as well as development.

In parallel to the same build in the arena shooter? I wouldn't say too likely, because there are still changes we would need to make in the code as SoA is so much larger a code-base already. That said, anything we implement in the smaller game that we want to be in-common with SoA would be implemented faster in SoA as a result of doing it first in the smaller game. Though myself not being one of the game programmers, I'm sure Ben or Cristian would have a better answer for you.

Thanks! :D
    PsychoticLeprechaun, Jun 21, 2016
    Last edited by PsychoticLeprechaun; at Jun 21, 2016
  8. progress

progress Crash Landed

Got to say, I'm excited to see how this ends up working out. I also thought of the Star Citizen model of development when I read the blog post. Also, in reference to the dynamic cover with voxels, really reminds me of Ace of Spades (before Jagex bought it, that is to say).

Anyway, can't wait to get my hands on the arena shooter. Going to have to get some of my friends to try it with me.
  9. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
  10. TYHENDER

TYHENDER Industrial Re-revolutionist

So true,who the heack made AoS paid?
    Anyway, i love your idea of making small games. Pretty clever,cuz u don`t want to destroy everything you made.(Well like with Ace of Spades)
  11. zeroinnocent

zeroinnocent Tester

• Tester
    good to hear that you have a clear road-map. more experiences means that you guys will make better games. looking forward in trying out the arena game.
  12. Shashwah

Shashwah Tester

• Tester
    I'm happy to see that the team will be back to developing and specifically that it will be a Vorb based game which excites me further, my concern does lie in the possibility that SoA will be left behind in order for some other project to take the main focus, however I do trust that the team will continue to create fun and enjoyable games.
    My one question is what does this mean for the Testers? Will we be included in the process of development for these new smaller games? Or will our position remain as strictly SoA testing?

Apart from those few concerns I do wish everyone luck! Especially with the unforeseen silence that had occurred in the past, I am indeed happy to see that everyone will be back to working together for another round of Vorb-based development.
  13. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    No final decisions have been made just yet concerning development and testing for the new game, but I see no reason testers willing to help out would be able to get access to earlier builds to help us bug hunt! We're going to be having a meeting soon and I'll bring that up as a point of discussion. :)
  14. Shashwah

Shashwah Tester

• Tester
    Sweet, I look forward to hearing the results as I do look forward to contributing to development as much as I can in my position.
  15. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    Well, glad to see that it's been worth the wait.
  16. TYHENDER

You totally need awesome company name!(Thread about this is locked,and i`m not sure why)
  17. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    We announced the studio name we'd be developing under a while back, I believe. Though, not sure where any more. We've called our studio "Regrowth Studios" and we've incorporated it, but not done much else on that end because the projects themselves are way more important to us! :D
  18. Lionitow

Lionitow Reinvented The Wheel

I hope we'll have something in our hands to play by the end of the summer :rolleyes: if those projects go well maybe you could think about releasing them on Steam Greenlight, it could be a good way to recruit new fellow Andromeders and gain some more attention on the main project.
  19. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    Definitely something to think about! For now though it's noses to the grindstone.
  20. TYHENDER

Regrowth Studios is hard to pronounce (atleast for me). but it`s cool!