1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Structure Physics

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Jpr, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Jpr

Jpr Industrial Re-revolutionist

How should the game handle structure physics, if at all? A system of structure physics, such as Starforge is planning on making(EDIT- NOPE, they aren't). could help immersion by preventing players from trying to build wooden space elevators, but could also have consequences on gameplay (such as making ALL the caves collapse upon loading). I... have no clue how you might go about implementing such a system, but if it is possible to make, AND to have it affect only player-broken/placed blocks, then you have a way to make structures require supports; and as a bonus, have cave sections that may collapse if the player mines, thus having a need for bracing. Also, a regular earthquake could temporarily lower the... number of blocks that can be safely stacked vertically in player-touched structures, thus possibly causing structural failure. Ideas?
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    Jpr, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited by Jpr; at Aug 28, 2014
  2. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Industrial Re-revolutionist

Okay, first off. StarForge is no longer planning on structural physics. They've cut a lot of content, but that doesn't belong in Feature Suggestions

7 Days to Die has successfully implemented a Structural Integrity system, but even a year on it's still...wonky. Given the difficulty, and the size of some structures that may be built in SoA, I'm rather against it. It was a nice concept, but it turned out very counter-intuitive in building.

It could be nice as a bonus, but I'm watching experienced and well-funded developers struggle to implement it, so I'd rather not see it in Seed of Andromeda.
    Sir_Moodz likes this.
  3. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

I would like to see this on SOA, how sensible your building will be depends on what are you building it with.
    And no dirt houses.
  4. Jpr

Thanks. I thought it would be difficult too, given as every idea I had either didn't work, or had gaping holes for abuse... but I want it :(

Best idea I had is to treat everything with the gravel physics, if there is... some sort of parameter governing max stack height that could be set to different max heights depending on material? If stone had a max height of 10, then the 11th block would use gravel physics to slide to the base of the column. Vertical stresses could be handled similarly. The hole with this is that someone can build a space elevator by alternating, say iron and aluminum (or dirt and rock!) to reset the max height/material counter, and a counter that counted everything in the chunk directly below the block is liable to make ANYTHING made of stone collapse. Ideas? Or is this impossible?
  5. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Industrial Re-revolutionist

I think if people put the time into gathering the resources and building a space elevator, then let them. If they're not playing PvP, it won't hurt anyone. If they ARE..well..

That's a pretty big, vulnerable, and attractive target, don't you think?
  6. Jpr

Hey! You're online! I agree, but I'd still like to see some way of policing unsound structures... that the players can influence... such as dropping a fusion weapon on them. PROBLEM SOLVED! (Not really, but close enough :) ).
  7. Danarkivus-2

Danarkivus-2 Back Into Space

I see this as a post full release feature
  8. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    I would say that structural physics beyond "If it's not supported fall" results in, like Evi said, counter-intuitive and overall wonky building.
    During the creation of Red Faction Guerrilla (Or whichever one had that thing where building blew up nicely) the building designers had to take a crash course in architecture just so the cool-as-hell buildings didn't immediately fall to pieces.
    So herein is the issue; realistic physics result in drastically reduced building potential. I suspect this may be part of the reason Minecraft as a building toy has become so successful.
  9. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

I think it would be very interesting, there is not only one way to do it.
    And it would not be counter intuitive just because it's not like minecraft...
    Just use strong materials to hold the house together and you will be fine seems good to me.
    There is already minecraft if you want floating stuff.
  10. gutza1

gutza1 Kerbal Overlord

I posted a post months ago on this subject, but it was destroyed when the forums were revamped. I was too lazy to re-write it.