1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Martian

Discussion in 'Nerd Out Zone' started by MichaelH, Oct 6, 2015.

1. MichaelH

MichaelH Writer

• Dev Member
    So, what did you all think of The Martian? Referring mostly to the film, but general thoughts on the book are fine too.

Expect spoilers in this thread.
  2. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

The Martian is now my favorite book and movie! :p

The film was sooooo much better than I thought it would be. I was astounded how accurate some scenes were! They may have taken out a few big parts of the book (*SPOILER* I was sad they didn't include Watney frying his communication with NASA and the dust storm on his way to the Ares 4 MAV *END SPOILER*), but the acting, the visuals, the plot, and everything else well compensates for it.

Plus it was hilarious as heck. I haven't laughed so hard from a movie in years. :D
  3. MichaelH

MichaelH Writer

• Dev Member
    I definitely enjoyed it too--there was a lot of detail. I missed the bricking of the comms and that dust storm, but I can see how they were pressed for time.

I also thought the ending was a bit weird, with the "Iron Man," but I guess they wanted to make sure that Watney had some agency in his own rescue. Not as satisfying of a climax if the hero just gets pulled out of a chair by someone else.

Finally, I initially missed the book's ending monologue about the human spirit and how we band together to help people in trouble, but honestly? The speech at the end of the film is actually much more in keeping with the true theme of the story than that original monologue was. This is a movie about solving problems, and how ingenuity and perseverance can conquer mountains. All in all, I really liked it.
    Thomas988 likes this.
  4. Chaser04

Chaser04 Reinvented The Wheel

I loved the movie! Its now on the top of my favorite list!

I really loved the part when he explains how he is now a space pirate! The comedy in the movie was amazing! As also was the problem solving and all the science included in it!

If I were to give a rating it would be a 20/10!
    Thomas988 likes this.
  5. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    I thoroughly enjoyed the film too. Haven't read the book, but the film is one of the best sci-fi films I've watched in a long time. Ridley Scott at his finest, benefited by a fantastic casting. The story was really good, and it didn't do anything weird like Interstellar. Even from the view point of a physicist it was great - not nearly as many inconsistencies or errors as most sci-fi films. :p

Based on what I've been told of the book, the film seemed to make the right choices in cut content for the sake of pacing. I struggle to find things to criticise to the point of instead of nit picking things I didn't like, I want to nit pick the things I did like the most - such as the hand shake between the Director of Mars Missions and the... care taker? at the JPL when first we see the replica rover, and the spitting into the wire bin. Those sorts of small attentions to details really make me happy.
  6. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

I have a feeling this will end up being my favorite book once I read it. I admit, it wasn't what I was expecting, because I was expecting something that would dramatize the suspense a bit more, like Gravity did. I still really enjoyed the movie. And as silly as it may sound, it has me inspired to get more Astronomy and related things. If I had to complain about anything, it would be the fact that Matt Damon's character didn't quite feel realistic. His occasional emotional detachment briefly broke immersion for me a few times in the film. Granted, he wasn't like that for the entire movie, but enough that if I really had to try to find a downside to this movie, that would be it. [spoiler alert] His character's reaction to the point when he got into the ship meant to return from Aries 4 was a fairly good example that the wasn't like that for the whole movie.
    Thomas988 likes this.
  7. joppiesaus

joppiesaus Infamous Space-Octopus

I loved it. Everything of it. Just like Gravity.
    It was like Apollo 13: 2015 edition, but then it didn't happen for real due to budget cuts.
    But I kinda missed the end a little. A little abrupt maybe.
    The Hermes's atmosphere is half gone, some part of the ship broke, and then the story ends. How did they get home with that broken thing?(Maybe I forgot how big it was)
    You see, I kinda missed the re-entry. That's like the feeling when everything went right. That everything is over. I think that's what I missed a little.

It also seems that a very large public likes the movie. That surprises me a little.
    joppiesaus, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited by joppiesaus; at Oct 28, 2015
  8. zeroinnocent

zeroinnocent Tester

• Tester
    I really liked the movie! Only small thing i was a bit disapointed about was at the end when he opens is helmet and all they say is he smells a bit, there shuld have been much more of a reacton. Other than that it was perfect. Realy enjoyed the the german astronaut.