1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The missing ores

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by _zombiehunter, Feb 21, 2014.

1. _zombiehunter

_zombiehunter Artist & Designer

• Dev Member
    There are currently 11 different metal blocks in SoA:
    Iron, Gold, Silver, Copper, Tin, Lead, Platinum, Aluminium, Titanium, Uranium and Tungsten, but we have only three ore blocks: Magnetite, Malachite and Bauxite. Gold, Silver and Platinum are noble metals and therefore don't form ores, so 5 ore blocks are missing, my suggestion:

Iron >>> Magnetite
    Copper >>> Malachite
    Aluminium >>> Bauxite

Tin >>> Cassiterite
    Lead >>> Galena
    Titanium >>> Rutile
    Uranium >>> Pitchblende
    Tungsten >>> Scheelite

If the ore names are Ok this way, I could try to make some textures for them ;)
    Gingy likes this.
  2. Asimov

Asimov Festina lente. [#32]

Rutile will be very difficult to make look realistic. It occurs as both a fibrous looking crystal and crystals that look like something you'd cut for a gem. (Usually dark red.)

Just a thought.
  3. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Have a go at the textures! Though I can't confirm the names, it would be great to see some more texture work! The ore system may not remain 1 ore to 1 ingot, but it depends on how much we want to exploit the multiple dropped items system for block breaking.
  4. _zombiehunter

• Dev Member
    Ok, I'll try it.

I think big shiny crystals (dark red or completely black) will do it :rolleyes:
  5. Asimov

I guess I'm being a bit pedantic. Sorry.
  6. scarere

scarere <Battle Scarred Jesus>

I think having different names for the ores and metals might get a little confusing at some point in the game. Especially assuming if ben plans to add more metals. I'm not saying the names should be the same, but maybe there is another way to simplify it for people who don't know which metal comes from which ore?
  7. Kol

Kol Plays like a sandwich!

How about if there was some way to get an info-tip for each metal/ore if the player wished to see it? For example, you'd mine out "Tin Ore", a layman term anyone could understand, then if you read more info in-game it'd say something like "Tin - Derived from Cassiterite" and a short blurb explaining some uses for it.

Alternatively, just have the name of the ore be "Cassiterite (Tin)", and continue with the other ores.
  8. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

This ^
    slibbfalusken likes this.
  9. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    How about, instead have the ore called Cassiterite initially, and once the player has mined it and used it the first time, the PDA saves all gained data about it, so next time the player sees it, the PDA may give them information concerning it.

That way the information is explained via exploration of its properties - not just there for the player instantly. This would add an extra dimension to both the mining/crafting aspect, and also to the research aspect of the game!
    NeonSturm likes this.
  10. Asimov

Yes! Do that!

Maybe even have to mine an ore before you can see what it's called? Hmm... Maybe that's pointless because you're not going to see it before you mine it anyway.
  11. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    Perhaps the PDA has a catalogue of known ores, and only once you have discovered an ore, it appears there (like a Pokedex!). That would mean your idea would work, we only discover the name once we mine the ore, along with other known information the PDA can scan for (e.g. elemental composition).
  12. scarere

scarere <Battle Scarred Jesus>

I like this idea of not knowing exactly what the metal is when you get it. The solution I was thinking of was that the ore would be named Casserite, but when you scroll your mouse over it, it would show the name Casserite, and then under it in Italics it would say Tin Ore, or something like that
  13. _zombiehunter

• Dev Member
    Exactly, exploration is the keyword. You don't have to know that Cassiterite is a tin ore and Galena a lead ore when playing the game the first time. You're stranded on an alien planet, you'll have to explore it, start mining different minerals and find out what you can do with them. Putting ores into a furnace for example to see if and what metals you get from them. Then you can use the metals to build devices, for example lead to make simple batteries, uranium to power a nuclear reactor or later in the game titanium to build space ships.
  14. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    I am going to be working on a new ore distribution system soon that will allow for moddability. When I do I will remove the metals from underground! Also thanks again for the textures _zombiehunter :)
  15. professor Chemical

professor Chemical Crash Landed

Just a random fact, there are 100 different pure metals on the periodic table out of the 118 elements. I know it would be silly bu it would be great to have at least one source and use for each metal :).
  16. NeonSturm

NeonSturm Back Into Space

Maybe that could encourage trading.
    In the early past, metals were found partially from asteroids, according to the German wikipedia.

But you should not require metals.
    Iron is useful because you can just melt it and make something else out of it - with no loss of quality.

But there are other materials, equally useful or even more in that property - compared to the material's weight.

Fe