1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New Guys' Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arctic, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    This is a thread that is supposed to be a landing page for newbies; to avoid describing SoA's features in-depth every time you want to introduce someone to it, I took the liberty of doing this. This page will be regularly updated to reflect the current state of SoA, though it will not include potentially unconfirmed content. This is not a news page, it is intended for newbies to understand what SoA is. A community FAQ, if you will.

(As for the boldtext obvious strawman, they're meant to be exaggerated; nobody actually thinks like that. Or so I would like to believe.)
    (Yes, I made a video solely to show off the planets properly. Might do them for the others as well if I have time.)

MINECRAFT CLONE OMG RIPART TO NOTCH
    While Seed of Andromeda is ostensibly inspired by Minecraft, it is in no way a "Clone" or "Rip-Off" of it, much like how Call of Duty isn't a rip-off of Quake or Wolfenstein 3D. You'll also notice the plethora of Minecraft clones such as Castle Miner Z and Fortresscraft. These are straight up clones; they attempt to add nothing new and, most importantly, are not fun to play. Why play those games? They don't have a better scope or more ideas. Just the same old same old.

At Seed of Andromeda, we aim to create a more mature experience; now, bear with me here but-

MATURE EXPRIENSE OMG ANOTHR BLUD N BUBS SHOT IM UP UGH UNSUBSCRIBING

Waitwaitwait! I'm not done! By Mature Experience, we mean that the game will be challenging and encourage unique puzzle-solving as well as strategic thought to persevere in the face of adversary, such as rival human factions as well as NPC aliens and survivors. You will need to research and construct various weapons to survive and hunt alien faun-

MINECRAFT X COD OF DUTY NOT AGAIN

Alright, so, how about I talk about what the game IS rather than what it will be?
    Here's a list of features that differentiate SoA from Minecraft as of now.

Anyway, that's Seed of Andromeda in a nutshell! You can find Ben's Twitter page here and a link to his Youtube page here. Sign up for this forum! Check out what we're pontificating over at the Feature Suggestions subforum! Tell us who you are over at Introductions on the Off-Topics! Download the game here! Join our Steam Group! Join the Teamspeak 3 server at: 178.254.25.147! Happy orbital annihilation!

Recommended Reading:
    Arctic: CTF Planetary - An idea for a gamemode.
    PsychoticLeprechaun: Crafting, Research, and Intergroup Co-Operation - A basic outline of gameplay in SoA.
    Tetryds: Player Status Effects, AKA: Getting Tired
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
    Arctic, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited by Arctic; at Feb 2, 2015
    Furolles, Gingy, Jpr and 3 others like this.
  2. Danarkivus-2

Danarkivus-2 Back Into Space

good for you making this but I don't think the OMG MINECRAFT CLONE people are going to read this.
  3. Arctic

• Tester
    They will if we force them.

I hope I've made it concise enough. Maybe when good gameplay stuff comes out I'll make a video.
    Jpr likes this.
  4. Danarkivus-2

okay and a video good idea.
  5. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

Hello, guys! This isn't my first post so far, but I'm still very new around here! Hopefully I can get more invested in this community, because it seems there are some really nice people here. :)
  6. Danarkivus-2

good a new person to experiment on the last batch did not last the last [Redacted]. umm i mean welcome hope you have a good time.
    Thomas988 likes this.
  7. Arctic

• Tester
    "Project Arctic"

Hey, that's me!
    Thomas988 likes this.
  8. Thomas988

Replies already? You guys are awesome!

I'm at school right now, so we'll have to wait until I get home to apply an avatar. Agh, I don't want a default setting!
  9. zeroinnocent

zeroinnocent Tester

• Tester
    welcome to you to!
  10. Arctic

• Tester
    well the job kind happiness eternal!

BTW, this isn't the place to post introductions; we have a bit in the Off-Topic section for that, also incidentally made by me.
  11. Thomas988

Aaah, I understand. See, I am new here! :p
  12. Danarkivus-2

don't worry you will learn young grass hopper.

if live long enough..........
    Thomas988 likes this.
  13. Arctic

• Tester
    Well, I mean, it's right in the OP.

But, anyway, yeah, nice to see that you're here.
    Nobody ever uses the bloody instructions thread grumble mumble
    Thomas988 likes this.
  14. KRSplat

KRSplat Crash Landed

Hey, this is a pretty cool game. I just tried playing it for maybe the 1st or 2nd time a minute ago. It's very cool and visually outstanding, although I'm not sure what the goal really is. Although I would probably have to spend a little more time in it to really figure it out. Nice!
  15. Arctic

• Tester
    Currently, uh, there is no goal. It's pretty much just a tech demo at the moment. Hell, the next couple dozen versions are going to be tech demos. It'll take a while before any real gameplay is added to the mix.
    KRSplat likes this.
  16. Danarkivus-2

wait i thought that they said the .2.0 was the last tech demo.
  17. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Well, at this point we are shifting focus from purely tech to gameplay. So post-0.2.0, we should definitely see features that push us away from pure tech demo to an actual playable game*.

*though the gameplay features won't exactly be very expansive for a few versions after, I would suspect.
  18. Danarkivus-2

19. Blackbeard Teach

Blackbeard Teach Crash Landed

*Burp. Ahoy, there rocklubbers I am Blackbeard Teach. The most feared space pirate to ever soar the Seven Stars.

For my first introduction to be jettisoned into the vacuum of the forums is my presence to be known as Blackbeard. I hope I can get along with all of you like my crewmen.

Remember to fly drunk and to spacewalk the airlock.

o7
    Potatocat, ColdFuseon and Thomas988 like this.
  20. zeroinnocent

zeroinnocent Tester

• Tester
    welcome blackbeard to the forum!