1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Solid State Conundrum

Discussion in 'Nerd Out Zone' started by Gingy, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

This may be more geeky than nerdy, so I'll move this thread on request.

I'm torn on SSDs. My new one will be arriving in the mail either tomorrow or Monday. However, Newegg is aparently having a sale for a drive I almost bought...at $15 less. This is a fairly big deal, because the one I got was just barely within my budget. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to return the drive and buy the cheaper one.
    joppiesaus likes this.
  2. Arpak

Arpak Moderator - Former CM

Don't bother, you'd end up spending the 15 anyway in return shipping and restock fees.

There will always be a better price, but if you spend all your time waiting for the best deal, you will be waiting forever.

...Thats why I have 3 ssds from 2 different brands...
  3. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

I'll probably stick with this one then. The reviews were more mixed with the cheaper drive anyway.
    Arpak likes this.
  4. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

Erm...I know this is slightly off topic, but do you have any suggestions for an improtu soution to hold it in the bay? I forgot to order the 3.5" bay adapter.
  5. joppiesaus

joppiesaus Infamous Space-Octopus

Ducttape.
  6. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

The heat generated from the drive won't wear down the adhesive on the tape?
  7. joppiesaus

I don't know, but I don't think so. These things stay pretty cool, they usually don't consume more then 3 watt of power at it's max. And, it's an improvisational solution. ;)

You also could just "hang" it on some wires. It doesn't really matter, really. As long as it has it's place.
  8. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

That might work until I order the converter.
  9. joppiesaus

It will work until you order the converter.

Oh, and if you have tools, you can make a bay yourself! Out of wood or something!
    joppiesaus, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited by joppiesaus; at Aug 16, 2015
  10. Arpak

SSDs don't generate any substantial heat for it to be noticable, either way PCs still get hot, I have 2 ssds mounted and one just nestled in the bottom of the case.
  11. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

Given the size of my case and idle temperature of my system, I don't think I would trust it nestler at the bottom.
  12. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

I decided to post an update on the situation. I got my SSD a few hours ago. It's sitting in a bay meant for an SD card reader, which is apparently just small enough that as long as you're careful when moving it will stay in place. I'm now one part and $30 (need a wireless adapter) away from having no use for my old computer.
  13. Arpak

14. Arpak

Also, SSDs are really sturdy, so even if it moves around a bit its not a big issue.

Gingy likes this.
  15. joppiesaus

16. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

17. Arpak

joppiesaus likes this.
  18. Arpak

19. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

Given that my speeds will never reach the maximum speeds for N technology in the span of the part's lifetime, I think I'll be okay with something $30 less.
  20. Arpak

Its a small price for future proofing ;)

Just be careful though, sub $30 usually includes cheap chinese crapwifi that will die in a month.