1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unique Weapon Ideas

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Arctic, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    Essentially, a thread for talking about ideas for weapons and weapon attachments that aren't in regular FPS games and that you think should be included in SoA! Feel free to criticize, comment, and create! Try to keep swearing to a minimum! Ideas should be in the "Trebuchet MS" font. It's the 6th button to the right. Scroll down. I'll get this started:
    - PDW (MP5K, KAC PDW, P90, MP7A1)
    A weapon for those wanting more than a submachine gun but don't need a full carbine or assault rifle. Perfect for engineers and workers in a high-threat environment. These weapons would be small, fire weak but armour penetrating rounds, low recoil, and medium rate of fire.

- Microgun (XM214 Microgun)
    A tiny man-portable minigun chambered in 5.56 x 45 NATO. A very high-level weapon that comes after the crew-served M134 Minigun, firing a more manageable round. The thing weighs a ton, and eats ammo like you wouldn't believe, though its destructive power is unmatched. However, the gun makes the wielder a sitting duck, standing with a huge tank of ammunition on their back and slowed to a crawl. Only wieldable at high strength.

- Panzerfaust (Pzfst 150)
    A very low-end anti-tank option, this weapon can only fire ten times before being completely ruined. While very effective during World War II, modern day composite and force-shielded armour can shrug off quite a few rounds from these things. Cheap and cheerful is the watchword for this weapon, being essentially an advanced tube of metal with a rocket in the end.

- Akimbo Machine Pistols (MAC11s, Mini Uzis, Uzi Pros, MP5ks)
    Specially made dual-wielding pistols. These things are attached together with some cabling, have charging handles that catch in order to make reloading the damn things possible, muzzle compensators to make firing the damn things possible, and laser sights to make aiming the damn things possible. The iron sights have been removed and replaced with laser pointers.

- Laser SMG (Custom Made)
    A magazine-fed weapon accepting AAA batteries. The Laser SMG is a homemade design made from an overcharged laser pointer, a few electronics, and a feed mechanism. It accepts very common ammunition, and can be upgraded to accept a battery block - however, this makes it run the risk of overheating. It works just like a real gun - only it takes batteries instead of bullets.

- .22 Machine Gun (AM180)
    A weapon with high rate of fire but quite weak ammunition. It can defeat any body armour... Provided the target be standing still for five minutes. Comes with a 150-round drum magazine. Silenceable.

- Grenade Magazines (Attachment)
    Hate reloading? Now you'll love it! With all-new Grenade Magazines, each reload gives you, the shooter, one highly explosive throwable munition! Of course, you could just get a grenade but hey, at least it saves space. Each time you reload, you get the magazine back to use as a grenade! (This would be hugely impractical but still awesome)

- Multi Launcher (M202 FLASH [IRL this was a flamethrower buuuut it looks like a rocket launcher so ppt])
    Carries a clip of 4 rockets! This weapon can fire up to 4 rockets without reloading, and is totally unguided. It's also much less accurate than normal rocket launchers. But more rockets are better, right? Takes standard rockets.

- Tele Loader (Attachment)
    A little doohickey that links up to a big crate of bullets. This attachment takes bullets and teleports them directly into the chamber of your gun! This also reduces the rate of fire by quite a bit.

- Tele Mags (Attachment)
    Much like the Tele Loader, Tele Mags link to a chest and teleport directly into your gun! It increases the reload time by quite a bit but hey, bottomless supply of ammo!

- Belt-Fed SMG (MP5 Vollmer)
    The basic submachine gun, but with a twist! This weapon accepts belts of 9mm parabellum, giving it a total ammo count of 200 rounds! Never reload again! Jams fairly often.

- 5.56mm Belt-STANAG Converter (Attachment)
    A thing that slots onto your gun to let any STANAG weapon take belts of linked ammo, giving your assault rifle up to 150 rounds to play with. Causes frequent jams and also reduces fire rate by 20%.

- Unreliable SMG (Sten)
    Cheap and cheerful, just like the Panzerfaust, but produced by the opposite team. As you may expect, a design from over 500 years ago doesn't age well. This weapon jams often, has a poor durability, but crucially, is dirt cheap. This will be one of the first automatic weapons the player has access to. One notable feature is that it will discharge its magazine if dropped, allowing its use as an impromptu hand grenade. Cross your fingers and hope someone dies.

- 12G/10G Healing Shells (12 and 10 Gauge Shotgun Shells)
    White with green crosses on, labelled "First Aid", these shells fire a device that automatically administers a stem cell solution, allowing whoever's been shot to regenerate lost parts. These people will also need to eat more. To accompany this, I propose all shotguns have an alternate paint scheme available similar to the shell. The projectile has a range of about 100 feet.

- Weather Control Rocket (Rocket)
    A rocket loaded with weather-affecting chemicals. Makes it rain in the immediate vicinity if you fire it directly up. Of course, the chemicals are also quite poisonous. Make of that what you will.

- Spork (Attachment)
    It's a spoon! It's a fork! It's a knife! It's an impromptu bayonet! It was found on the crash site of the Seed of Andromeda's canteen! It lets you eat pudding on the battlefield! Just make sure the safety's on first. The spork is a rare attachment. It can be found in spaceship crash sites. Once attached, it lets the weapon function as a utensil; You can eat food placed in the world with it equipped. Sort of a joke, this one. Still makes a pretty good bayonet.

A man demonstrates a "Tacticool" airsoft M4. It has two sniper scopes and a backwards PEQ unit. Its suppressor has a "Spork" taped to it, a pronged spoon. It is an eating utensil. This is obviously absurd. The man reflects on the absurdity of the number of attachments on the weapon.

Post your own ideas! Devs! Listen to us!
    Arctic, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited by Arctic; at Aug 7, 2014
    Snipecoolbunny and Eviscerator like this.
  2. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Industrial Re-revolutionist

I have mixed feelings on this.

I wouldn't mind seeing a bunch of stuff from Fallout NV and Gun Runner's Arsenal, but I'm not sure so many flavors of automatic weapons are necessary, or that chemically powered guns will be high-end anything. If I remember right, the XM-214 was supposed to be a lighter and more portable version of the M-134, but has lately been proposed as a possible missile-intercept system for vehicles, so perhaps it could be implemented as a defensive measure?

And, I feel like it'd be more...flexible? If the player could just research gun components, and then build gun parts out of available materials and then assemble them. It'd give more replayability, and reward creativity. Or, better yet, combine the two approaches and have 'stock' guns available for people who don't want to go too deep into the system, archetypes of weapons like you suggest, but upgradeable if someone wants to take the time and materials to do so. That being said, I feel it'd be more efficient if propellant/chemical powered weapons were able to use different versions of ammunition. Tracers/incendiary rounds and flechettes for unarmored targets, armor piercing rounds for enemy players or armored beasts/vehicles, explosive rounds in larger calibers, so on and so forth. This would keep them competetive with direct energy weapons by allowing them to adjust to different targets on the fly with a simple magazine swap.

They may not be, say, as effective as a plasma rifle or coilgun, but the addition of secondary effects and their relative cheapness could make them a very attractive way to arm your NPCs or expendable drones.
    Snipecoolbunny likes this.
  3. SpaceHippie

SpaceHippie Reinvented The Wheel

The only problem with so many different weapons is the tech progression. In any straight FPS game balance is key. You don't want any one weapon to be the go to for everyone cause it is the best at everything. In an FPS you balance rate of fire, damage, range, etc.; But SOA is a game of tech progression. The thing about technology is the higher tech is better. As you go through the ages of man our weapons become better in every way. One man wielding an assault rifle could destroy a platoon of spearmen. When someone designs a new weapon they don't just think let's make it more powerful but shoot slower to be fair. No. They design it to be faster, stronger, have more range, and carry more ammo. Yes design limitations means some give and take is neccessary. But technology, especially weapon technology, is all about making an unfair advantage.
    I know we are talking about a game. And fairness must be taken into account. So please, don't go all attack dog on me. I just felt it necessary to point the innate unfairness of real life weapon tech.
  4. Eviscerator

That's why I think weapon balance shouldn't be specifically about technology or equivalence with other weapons, but based upon the research time it took to develop said weapon, and further increased in quality by the materials used in it. That way you could have people fighting to not only break into research labs and steal copies of blueprints, or stealing weapons to reverse engineer, but also to attack mining outposts to grab the rarer and more valuable minerals.

Or, I dunno...there are just so many ways to balance it all really comes down to what the devs think the aim of the game is.

But I still support a variety of weapons in the base game, but let the more esoteric and 'variations on a theme' weapons be added in mods. Let the game variety show through in different types of ammo. I adored the way it was handled in Fallout: New Vegas.
  5. SpaceHippie

I basically agree with all of that. I mean with the game in pre-alpha statist the only way to look at balance is guessing now, and then wait and see, and re-adjust as needed later.
    SpaceHippie, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited by SpaceHippie; at Aug 8, 2014
  6. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy Reinvented The Wheel

I feel like the mass of specific stock weapons would be better as a mod than an in-game feature. I'm all for firearms, but feel like the game should make the player craft their weapons, which could then resemble a real-life gun, but leave specific items for mods and such. If you look up "flans mod" you can see that there are user created stock weapons and vehicles that can be separately downloaded and combined.
    Eviscerator likes this.
  7. Eviscerator

That's exactly what I was thinking, but you put it so much more concisely. Research a basic archetype of weapon, custom build it based on personal preferences and materials available, leave the specific guns to mods.
    ThatOneGuy likes this.
  8. ThatOneGuy

Exactly.
  9. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

Also, with high customization and modularity, I don't think there is much point in naming a model for the gun more than what it's based on.
    So, there you have "rifle" which can be anything, and you could even name it as you wish.
    Change its ammo kind, barrel, anything.
    *based on Matt's idea about crafting.
  10. Eviscerator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifleman's_Creed
  11. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    I like the modular guns idea. You could have an assault rifle, or mount a scope, precision stock, extended barrel, and give it match grade rounds and there you have a DMR.
    I also like the idea that each part has its own unique benefits and downsides. A short barrel would reduce the weapon's size and also increase firerate, at the cost of accuracy and recoil.
    Smaller magazines, perhaps we could incentivise the use of those? Perhaps make it so that small magazines increase firerate, jam less, and can accept Match grade rounds?
    I was simply suggesting unique weapon archetypes that might not be included otherwise. A simple rocket launcher like the Panzerfaust doesn't need all those customization options. As for the PDW, I'm sure we can include some PDW parts into the mix.
  12. Eviscerator

Well, yes, but all those different parts could also be made of different elements, alloys, and composite materials that the player has access to. Which further diversifies the weapon customization. For the receiver and stock, you'd want something light, strong, and impact resistant. For the barrel, you'd want a material that would be tolerant of high pressure, high temperatures, and also dissipate heat quickly. Different parts of the gun would have different needs, and juggling design and materials sounds like an interesting mechanic to sink one's teeth into.
  13. Agarthan

Agarthan Reinvented The Wheel

I third the modular weapons with tech progression system - but as Ben has pointed out with cleverness and ingenuity a new player can still kill a top experience player.
  14. SpaceHippie

How about some non-lethals

Bolos - low tech, two rocks tied to the end a rope. Easily obtained early on. Good for tripping up enemies and slowing them down. Can be use defensively too. Also good for small game hunting.

Net Gun - basically a higher tech version of the bolo. Firing the net from farther away than a bolo can go. Also more effective.

Foam gun - A late game version of the earlier two. Firing an expanding foam that can hold an entity dead still and fires much farther than the other non-lethals.
  15. Eviscerator

Poison arrows- Good for killing and slowing larger entities that may not have legs. More accurate and longer-ranged than a bolo, but also more likely to kill outright instead of capture.

Cattleprod- Melee -range electrical weapon that does damage over time and can temporarily incapacitate small to medium sized entities. May retain usefulness into late-game as close-ranged anti-drone weapon.

Dartgun- Higher tech version of poison arrows, less likely to kill, but with a higher probability of slowing and immobilizing entities too large for a net gun.

Taser/stungun- short to mid-range weapon to disrupt the nervous system of biological entities, and disable entities or objects using electronics.

Somatic Disruptor- Stunning device that emits an EM pulse calculated to render organisms with a complicated central nervous system unconscious. Less effective on simple organisms, but has a small chance of instantly killing creatures with a more advanced CNS. Unreliable as a killing weapon, but not guaranteed to to capture a living subject, though much less bulky than a foam gun. It's a trade off.
    Eviscerator, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited by Eviscerator; at Aug 9, 2014
  16. SpaceHippie

And the poison could come from multiple sources. First maybe poisonous flora or fauna, and then later stuff you develop in an actual laboratory mid to late game.
  17. Eviscerator

Oh definitely, I was just discussing delivery systems because I think poison/medicine/chemical synthesis will need it's own thread.
  18. SpaceHippie

fair enough.
  19. ThatOneGuy

How about

Handy stick

A stick you found lying around

Handy rock

A kind of heavy stone you found on the ground

Good ol fists

Good ol feet

Good ol teeth

Side note:

Can't wait to get back on my pc... Have a bunch of things I need to type
    ThatOneGuy, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited by ThatOneGuy; at Aug 10, 2014
  20. Eviscerator

Pointed stick- technologically advanced carbon-based weapon.

Chipped rock- technologically advanced silicate-based weapon.

Stone Axe- Sophisticated weapon available only to advanced stone-age weaponsmiths, a chipped rock and pointed stick affixed to one another via plant-based fibers.

Gopherchucks - small rodents tied together to be flailed at enemies until they or the rodents are reduced to an easily digestible paste.
    Eviscerator, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited by Eviscerator; at Aug 10, 2014