1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unique Weapon Ideas

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Arctic, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    I love Good ol' rock.
  2. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Industrial Re-revolutionist

I like hard rock and classic rock, but for me? You just can't beat heavy metal or speed metal. Nothing like a critical mass of plutonium, or some depleted uranium or tungsten penetrators.
    I really really hope different ammo types for ballistic weapons make it into the game.
  3. SpaceHippie

SpaceHippie Reinvented The Wheel

ThatOneGuy's mentioning feet and fists got me thinking. Do we want to see martial arts of some kind. Or would that be more trouble than it's worth?
  4. Eviscerator

I think it'd be a bit more trouble than its worth, given that fighting other players is supposed to be very rare until you have the technological base to start making vehicles and scanning devices. At that point, most combat will be ranged, I think...

Though..given the challenges inherent closing up on an opponent, I can see a stealth/detection and melee combat bonus for sneaky attacks by unnoticed people. Not sure how that'd be implemented, but it should be considered...especially if it applies to hunting creatures as well.
  5. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

Have the hability to punch and kick would be enough, so hitting without holding anything would punch (left click left hand, right click right hand), and holding like shift when doing that would kick.
    Just because it would be fun to fight with each other, and it could be also usefull for when you go unarmed, like if you get shot on the hand and drop your pistol.
    It adds a bit of the freedom that people liked when I talked about being able to sit, and maybe even lay down anywhere.

Also, Karate Kid (old one) screenshots, because yeah.
    tetryds, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited by tetryds; at Aug 14, 2014
  6. Whoisthatkidd

Whoisthatkidd Balanced Balancer

Spork OP pls nerf.
  7. Eviscerator

Spork is fine devs. Plz nerf ketchup packets and up the drop rate on hotwings.
  8. SpaceHippie

I never get enough hotwings.
  9. Arctic

• Tester
    Long live king of the spork people
  10. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy Reinvented The Wheel

You could implement a melee system similar to mount and blade, which even though I only played it for an hour, I thought was pretty good. If you don't know mount and blade combat, it works with two controls, hit and parry, and then you move the cursor to one direction to do one attack or block, and the other way to do another attack or block. As you could imagine it could get quite complex, creating different fighting styles and a skill to fighting.
  11. Arctic

• Tester
    M&B clearly is not optimized for spork fighting.
  12. SpaceHippie

And if there's no spork we don't want it.
  13. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy Reinvented The Wheel

What if you had a really big spork.
  14. SpaceHippie

You keep that halberd. I'll take the big spork.
  15. BanjoWarrior

BanjoWarrior Reinvented The Wheel

I'm just going to trust that melee combat mechanics classifies as weapon idea.

If the hit direction is controlled with the mouse the direction from which the strike is coming from has to be judged by looking at the pose the opponents character is taking which isn't too hard. I've played mount and blade for 133 hours total :confused: so I can say it can be learned and it'll actually add a very deep combat. The alternative for this I cooked up is that instead of having say 4 attack and parry directions which are chosen by moving the mouse (which is difficult to do accurately but it can be treated as another skill required from the player if this kind of combat goes into the game) there would be only one attack and parry BUT direction would be added with the player movement. If the attacker moves left while attacking the defender can just stays still and block the strike would be stopped but would also stun and tire out the defender similarly to the attacker basically having no effect on the fight except for using up a bit of time and stamina from both fighters. However if the defender was to move to his left, the attackers right while blocking he would perform a parry which stops the strike but wouldn't cost the defender stamina or movement letting him counter strike while attacker is waiting his animation to end. Same with moving right but it might be a bit different when the attacker is moving towards you (as in charging) or away from you (don't know what he's doing. Perhaps this could be a response to charging). This way all the fancy fighting would be done with WASD and mouse just faces you the right direction and and lets you strike and parry using the mouse buttons.

Melee combat doesn't have to be like this to the finest of detail. My main point is that direction can also be doe with WASD.
    tetryds likes this.
  16. tetryds

Direction affecting melee combat is a very awesome idea.
  17. Danarkivus-2

Danarkivus-2 Back Into Space

18. BanjoWarrior

BanjoWarrior Reinvented The Wheel

What direction? The mountain blade mouse control or my WASD controlled?
  19. tetryds

The WASD mode.
  20. SpaceHippie

An in depth melee system, at least more than just strike and big strike, could keep that form of combat interesting into late game. That way by the time our character are at say colonial technology everyone hasn't just given up on close combat for guns.