1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Voice Acting Union Negotiations

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by MichaelH, Sep 24, 2015.

1. MichaelH

MichaelH Writer

• Dev Member
    I follow Wil Wheaton's blog, and he recently posted about the negotiations (or lack thereof) between SAG-AFTRA and video game companies with regards to voiceovers. Not sure what everyone here's opinions are on unions in general, but some of the demands coming from the studios sound pretty absurd to me. Made for an interesting read.

http://wilwheaton.net/2015/09/this-...tion-for-video-games-and-it-isnt-about-money/
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  2. Danarkivus-2

Danarkivus-2 Back Into Space

i am confused what is going on?
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  3. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    I 100% agree with the right to authorise strikes in almost every professional trade there is. I think Wil Wheaton was spot on with what he says in that blog. All parts that make up the success of an industry, artistic or otherwise, should be able to negotiate their position in all ways.

Negotiating and just giving everyone what they want (which is a sure fire way to bankrupt any industry) are completely different things, and it sounds like some comapnies are perhaps mistaking the former for the latter.

Edit: can confirm from experience that strenuous VAing can kill ones voice. I do the same thing in a different way for Mediaeval reenactment and I often go home with no voice.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    PsychoticLeprechaun, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited by PsychoticLeprechaun; at Sep 28, 2015
    MichaelH likes this.
  4. joppiesaus

joppiesaus Infamous Space-Octopus

im confus
    Edit: Okay, sorry. You spend time to make this, and then all you get is "im confus". Now you've explained it to me, I can say that I think that the developers should be treated better and the voice-actor union too.
    Basically everyone who puts directly effort into the game. Because those are the ones who make good games. Otherwise, you shitty games.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    joppiesaus, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited by joppiesaus; at Sep 28, 2015
    MichaelH likes this.
  5. MichaelH

MichaelH Writer

• Dev Member
    To those who are confused:

what we're talking about here are negotiations between big video game studios and the SAG-AFTRA, which is the union that (among other things) represents voice actors for video games. According to Wil Wheaton, the union has been attempting to negotiate better working conditions with the studios--this is what unions do. It has been controversial for some people, because the union is asking for more money and residuals. The popular counterargument is that even developers don't get residuals, and this is greedy.

However, the counter-counter argument is that just because developers are treated poorly in the video game industry does not mean it's okay for other people to be treated poorly too--most of forms of media featuring actors allow for residuals. More to the point, these are bargaining points that would likely be argued down or dropped entirely during negotiations. The problem is that the studios are apparently refusing to negotiate entirely.

More to the point, video game studios are asking for a few things that are completely ridiculous, such as massive fines for actors who are "off task" or stripping agents of their licenses if they don't send their actors to certain auditions--allowing studios to essentially force actors to audition.
    joppiesaus likes this.
  6. MichaelH

MichaelH Writer

• Dev Member
    Something else I forgot to mention in my explanation is that a big part of what the actors are asking for is a safer working day/schedule. Right now they might be asked to work full 8 hours with only lunch and other minor breaks. They're trying to cap the workday at something more like 3 hours, I believe. To a lot of people this sounds unreasonable, but voice acting is incredibly strenuous for your voice and throat, and repeated long days can actually lead to permanent damage.
  7. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    They only wish to cap specific types of VAing to 2-3 hours, they would still do 8 hour days as everyone else does, with the other 5 comprised of breaks and doing easier lines.
  8. MichaelH

MichaelH Writer

• Dev Member
    Oh, and they also want stunt coordinators for when they do stunts through motion capture. Which seems like a pretty obvious safety concern.
  9. 10d22

10d22 Designer

• Dev Member
    I definitely support the proposals from SAG-AFTRA they all seem good and fair, I do think game devs deserve residual more tho, but this is about the VA and not the game devs. We need a game dev labour union !

#PerformanceMatters <----- This is a really wierd hashtag tho that dosnt explain anything
  10. MichaelH

MichaelH Writer

• Dev Member
    I have mixed feelings about that hashtag. At best, it isn't great--it doesn't obviously explain what it's about. If you hadn't already heard the story, you'd have no clue what "#PerformanceMatters" means. At worst, it might be seen to be coopting the recent #BlackLivesMatter tag. I saw a similar tag about the language describing refugees in Europe--"#WordsMatter". We might need to find a new format for hashtags, guys.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    MichaelH, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited by MichaelH; at Sep 29, 2015
  11. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    #AtomsMatter
    joppiesaus and Chaser04 like this.