1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Do YOU Think SoA's Plot Will Be?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thomas988, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

I'm just curious: what do you guys think the plot of SoA will turn out to be like? Will it be a collection of sidequests? Will it be a direct storyline? What emotions will it tell? Horror? Sadness? Humor? And what could characters be? I want to see what stories you all think this game could tell.

Note: this isn't a discussion about the actual plotline (i.e. the events that would occur), rather this is about how the emotions, characters, relationships, and plot could be constructed.

In my opinion, SoA should be a unique mix of sad, depressing moments, powerful, inspiring experiences, and a sprinkling of intelligent humor.

First off, I don't think SoA would be a very happy story at the beginning. Most of the crew is dead, tons of resources are lost, and no one knows what's going on. Also, think of how far from Earth the crew is. 425 light-years is a long ways out, and more likely than not they gave up their families and their lives for this one mission. Seeing it all go wrong could be depressing, perhaps unsettling at worst. There would be other moments throughout the story that wouldn't be very happy, either. Beloved characters might be lost, important landmarks and technology destroyed, etc. The story of the crew and their incredible strive to survive on Aldrin isn't one that's all smiles.

This all leaves an opportunity for an amazing sense of pride. As the game progresses, the player overcomes incredible obstacles. One of these obstacles could be travelling back into space. However, once the player has done so now all of space is within reach. As they progress their space technology, they can travel farther and farther into the solar system, allowing them to explore entirely new planets, moons, and asteroids, creating new off-world settlements, and simply exploring a new frontier. After rebuilding humanity this far, certainly this would feel amazing.

And who doesn't love some good humor every now and then? If The Martian taught me anything, it's that nerd jokes are the best kind of jokes. That's what we're all into, right? :p

That's all I have to say. I know there are already writers for the story who have details in the making, and I also know that all things SoA are susceptible to change in the future. I just thought I'd get some of my ideas out there! :)
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
    Thomas988, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited by Thomas988; at Nov 20, 2015
    Michael-CM likes this.
  2. Thomas988

Okay, now the OP is finished. XD
  3. Arpak

Arpak Moderator - Former CM

*giggles intensely*
    Gingy and Thomas988 like this.
  4. Thomas988

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
  5. Danarkivus-2

Danarkivus-2 Back Into Space

this is acucly some what good idea.
    Thomas988 likes this.
  6. Thomas988

Thanks! I've been nervous that maybe I was a little confusing in my wording. Glad I got the point across. :)
    Danarkivus-2 likes this.
  7. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    I've always wanted to graduate from being a foul-smelling troglodyte to a space god.
    Thomas988 likes this.
  8. Thomas988

Are you guys okay?
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  9. Arpak

Me in this thread

[​IMG]
    Arpak, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited by Arpak; at Nov 22, 2015
    Gingy and Thomas988 like this.
  10. Thomas988

I was expecting a community discussion on the plot of SoA. I was delightfully surprised. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡ °)
  11. Potatocat

Potatocat Back Into Space

Imagine an NPC named Cusca who's helped you from the beginning and stood by you the whole time, dying in the middle of the game, leaving behind his hopes and dreams for you to fulfill. Then imagine how you'd feel seeing your empty com box every day.... The worst part? His name, so easy yet so full, it'd take a lot to get over that name. Can you think of a better one?
    Thomas988 likes this.
  12. Arpak

13. Potatocat

14. MichaelH

MichaelH Writer

• Dev Member
    Well, I'm thinking it's probably going to...

...wait...

Oh, you almost got me!
  15. Thomas988

WHY DO YOU GUYS DO THIS TO MEEEEEEEE
    Potatocat likes this.
  16. Potatocat

Dong it! so closed! almost got make him talk

But seriously, the plot is probably going to have to do with spaceships and planets and stuff, and probably a story, too. So yeah.
    Thomas988 likes this.
  17. MichaelH

MichaelH Writer

• Dev Member
    For real, though--once things are a bit more progressed, I would love to see if there's a way I can do dev blogs about the progress of the narrative/general writing tasks. It's just a question of how you do something like that without actually spoiling said narrative.
  18. Potatocat

If we look at it as if it were Greek theatre, then there's no possible way to spoil it. But other than that, I don't really like sneak peeks, but those might work. If not, you could outline how you go about your writing process to give us an idea of how long it might take to complete the story (how long it might take to get it to a point where it can be told, but might still change in the future), or just give us side stories you write that have nothing to do with the plot, but are still cool to read. I might do that, there would have to be a new forum, "Fan-Fiction" or something like that, since I wouldn't consider it to be completely "Off-Topic".
    Potatocat, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited by Potatocat; at Nov 23, 2015
  19. MichaelH

MichaelH Writer

• Dev Member
    I would obviously need to talk about it with the rest of the dev/writing team, but I can think of a few ways to go with it.

First of all, there are almost certainly going to be some amounts of bonus/setting material--writeups of the history, letters/logs/journals found in game, something along those lines. It's possible we could release some samples of those before the game is complete--then again, those things might be saved for near last in the writing cycle, so perhaps not.

Secondly, it might be interesting to talk about the more technical aspects of writing for a video game. How we progress from overall narrative arcs to individual story branch down to unique scenes and dialogue trees, "filler" dialogue generated by NPC's, and fleshing out the setting. Getting an idea of the overall process/structure of the writing, totally aside from the actual narrative content itself, might be interesting to a lot of people here. We seem to have a lot of fans who are interested in the development process overall--the writing process is a part of that.

Like I said, this is all very premature speculation. It all depends on how the writing itself actually progresses--we don't want to spoil things, or reveal something we later want to change and feel like we've written ourselves into a corner, and it's possible that we'll end up wanting a bit more privacy in our thought process as we go through the tougher parts of development. I'm just brainstorming how we could share that part of the process, if everyone's up for it.
    MichaelH, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited by MichaelH; at Nov 23, 2015
    Chaser04 and Thomas988 like this.
  20. TYHENDER

TYHENDER Industrial Re-revolutionist

I think in game we shouldfeel lonely,so as less humans as possible,and make people speak with alien NPCs.
    And to make players to learn alien language. Actually,something like in-game found vocabulary would be cool.:D
    And i totally think story should be compatible with multiplayer.
    TYHENDER, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited by TYHENDER; at Jun 5, 2016
    Thomas988 likes this.