1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Do YOU Think SoA's Plot Will Be?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thomas988, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

2. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    See, I think this game's story is going in totally the wrong direction. As it is, it's generic, painfully cliche, and practically identical to the 10^25 other sci-fi energy-weapons glowy-lights crap out there. I genuinely think that the devs could do so much better. Who remembers the details of all of these universe when they all feel so similar? People remember the standouts, the Portals, the Warhammer 40ks, the Aliens, because they do it differently. There is no point in trying to do it better because that has been the point in everything that has come before.

I do have an idea. I think it's a better idea, and I'd like to know what you half-dozen think.

The year is 1985, and the world is at the edge of the blade. After the Able Archer exercise of 1983 led to an all-out invasion of NATO-held territories, sparking World War 3, NATO has been on the retreat. With the tipping point drawing ever closer, your team is one of many drafted to continue the human race as a species. Your rocket is the pinnacle of technology, and uses experimental warp technology developed using salvage from the Roswell crash. In low Earth orbit, preparing to align the jump, you hear the radio break out into panic; believing your launch to be an ICBM, the Soviet Union launches what they believe to be a retaliatory strike on NATO territories. Automated systems kick in, launching NATO's full arsenal right back. You watch the SDI satellites fail under the load as the world as you once knew it was gone. Mission control has gone black. Wiping away a tear, you prepare the final stages of your warp.

Of course, the USSR also developed a similar technology, this time based off of alien tech recovered from the Tunguska Event.

Why?
    • I personally really like alt-history Cold War settings
    • Like, the guns were aesthetic as fuck
    • Other people think so too
    • It justifies all computers being shit so they can be easily emulated
    • Allows a basis for a clear and coherent art style
    But hey, I guess that doesn't matter now.
    Thomas988 likes this.
  3. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    B-b-b-but you don't know the story we have for SoA! :p We've kept it quiet so that it isn't spoiled. We do want to do something that is our own, and I'm fairly confident we do have something different to stories told before.

I like the sound of this story; conjures the image of a Wolfenstein-in-Space-esque game. To me this would be better done as a more focused game, with smaller scope than SoA, though.
    PsychoticLeprechaun, Jul 10, 2016
    Last edited by PsychoticLeprechaun; at Jul 10, 2016
  4. TYHENDER

TYHENDER Industrial Re-revolutionist

True,and it feel like Arctic wrote this post after playing Wolfenstein.

It would be cool if there was some random quests like in Skyrim.
  5. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    Don't like Wolfenstein
  6. TYHENDER

Another doom fan.
  7. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein... they're all classics! Doom on Game Boy Advance and Return to Castle Wolfenstein were some of my first games.
  8. TYHENDER

Doom was my favourite game,before Half-Life.
    Half-Life is still good in comparison with modern shooters.
  9. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

Half Life 3 > Doom 4?
  10. TYHENDER

Even Half-Life 2 > Doom 4
  11. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

Heretic! Burn them!
  12. TYHENDER

Umm. I have nothing to say ...