1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is your favorite planet or moon to start your adventure?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blackbeard Teach, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Blackbeard Teach

Blackbeard Teach Crash Landed

My favorite place to start off my subterranean base would be on Fyto, a moon of planet Hyperion.

Compared to RL the temperature would be impossible to walk the surface due to it's light gravity. It is a balmy 151 degrees with over 140% Humidity and it's the same even at night.

Just to set up my subterranean base for those who are RP interested, but in the meantime when the game is about to be ready for fauna or something exciting like launching a rocket into space.

The possibilities are endless.
  2. Sevio

Sevio Back Into Space

It's hard to say for sure right now because we really don't know much about the different worlds in SoA save for their orbital parameters and their gravity. Those do of course matter, but the material makeup (atmosphere, soil) of a world can affect what it will be like to live on as much as its orbit. Not all of these worlds will have the natural resources allowing you to start the game from (almost) nothing. The only thing I know for sure is that you'll be starting the standard game on Aldrin and that there will be tons to do even just on Aldrin, let alone going to other planets. :)

I'm waiting to hear a bit more about the devs' ideas for the other planets before I'll pick one that would interest me to go to in the full game. :)
  3. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

My current favorite is Darkwin. I simple adore the shorelines, since they are all jagged and broken. Then there are the spires which make the terrain even more complex and diverse. Although the jungles are laggy, the temperate areas are very pretty to walking around in, especially by a river. :)

I'm currently building a base located on the side of a mountain. It has a huge landing pad, a massive hangar, two entrances, a hall that opens up to various rooms that have yet to be built. The views is stunning to, since it's a couple kilometers above sea level.

I hope the devs keep this sort of terrain in the next update, because I think it's awesome!
  4. Blackbeard Teach

Even if we start on Aldrin, would all of our hard work on other worlds be lost if the game gets updated? Or is there going to be a save file that will be added to multiplayer in the future?
  5. Blackbeard Teach

How long have you been working on this, Cliffside hanger and would it be possible to fit a dropship and a squadron of fighters?

For my base defense, since it will mostly be hidden. I was going to add some SAM Sites surrounding the base.
  6. Thomas988

It took a couple days with around 2-3 hours per session to make. I've haven't worked on it in a while, though. I would say it's around 40-50ish blocks long and wide, and maybe 20-30 blocks tall. That's just from my memory, though. I'm sure it could fit a few small ships or one large one, but certainly not a fleet of them.
  7. Blackbeard Teach

Nice. I usually draw my schematics of the subterranean base before I put it in motion. It took me about an hour just to carve out the entrance from a mountain. I'm currently drawing out decks from elevator shafts, you'd be surprised how high you can jump on Fyto due to low gravity.

I don't know how many decks I may put, or how deep into the moon.

For transportation from one celestial body to the next, I will make a missile silo to send passengers to a orbital station. Not sure how the rocket will work in the coming updates.
    Jpr and Thomas988 like this.
  8. Thomas988

Oh, that sounds awesome! I just make my builds on the fly. :p I don't know how I'll do transportation once we get vehicles and spacecraft, but I think I want to do something with spaceplanes or shuttles.
  9. Blackbeard Teach

When I accidentally went off click the other day, I was stunned how deep these planets and moons can go. So I basically have the idea of the perfect hidden base. It may take a long time for a player or a group of players to raid a subterranean base.
    Thomas988 likes this.
  10. Sevio

Sevio Back Into Space

As far as I'm aware the existing planets in SoA 0.1.6 are mostly placeholders and won't be in the full game, some of them like Fyto will carry their name over to 0.2.0 but I wouldn't count on the terrain being the same. Given how vastly different the engine has gotten during this rewrite, I wouldn't expect savegame compatibility either...
    PsychoticLeprechaun likes this.
  11. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Planets will indeed be different, as we both have new generation and soon the ability to specifically define the generation in YAML - which will give designers a chance to get their paws on the generation! Save game compatibility will also sadly be broken as you said.
  12. Danarkivus-2

Danarkivus-2 Back Into Space

for me at the moment it is Aldrin,