1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what were the exact goals for the 0.20 update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Danarkivus-2, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Danarkivus-2

Danarkivus-2 Back Into Space

I know there was the star sytem and the rewite fo the engine as well as new lighting and blocks but was was all the goals that would needed to be complete for the 0.20 update to come out. as it seams that new goals keeped being added which kept pushing the update back.

ps if the was a post about this I cant seem to find it.
    joppiesaus likes this.
  2. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    We didn't publish our roadmap, I don't think, but it was very much frozen for a fair while. We achieved many of the feature points before we decided to change focus to a smaller project. Some examples of features we got done:
    • Overhauled texture system;
    • Coloured lighting;
    • Fire propagation system;
    • Star systems.
    We were working on a few systems, such as:
    • Overhauled terrain generation system;
    • Replacing the UI library we previously used;
    • Lua scripting;
    • YAML file system.
    There were only a small number of features we hadn't started work on:
    • Deferred lighting;
    • Overhauled particle system;
    • Support for data-driven liquids.
    Ultimately, the things we were working on for 0.2.0 were things that were cumbersome to work on directly in SoA as the transition to Vorb was causing a lot of refactoring being necessary - in fact most of the time from 0.1.6 to 0.2.-1b was spent getting Vorb into good shape (which has huge benefits long-term). The shift to the arena shooter allows us to work on the UI, Lua scripting and YAML file system as well as other aspects of Vorb without being slowed down. Then when we get them right, it will be easier to utilise them in SoA.
  3. Danarkivus-2

thanks for the info the update for 0.20 looks a lot more reasonable than I thought it was going to be.
    also what stage of development would the shooter have to be before you guys move back to having SoA as you main focus.
    joppiesaus likes this.
  4. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    I would guess focus may shift back after we got it to a point where the only things left are adding extra content/polishing the game. Though bear in mind that while it isn't direct, progress for the arena shooter corresponds to progress in SoA development to quite a strong degree - the arena shooter will give us a fresh bedrock from which to find needed systems in Vorb and get their implementation right.
    joppiesaus and Danarkivus-2 like this.
  5. Danarkivus-2

OK thanks for the info one last question how long will the development of the shooter be?
  6. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    We feel it's best for us not to say how long we think it will take, as thus far we've found it difficult to judge due to our situations outside of the team being in flux. So as much as I want to be more concrete, "as long as it takes" is the best answer I can give.

I will, however, let you all know when meaningful milestones are hit in any of our projects.
    Lionitow and joppiesaus like this.
  7. Danarkivus-2

ok that's great thanks!
    Lionitow likes this.