1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Will SoA's "Rating" Be?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gingy, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

I'm curious, are the developers of this game intending this to be within a certain "rating?" in terms of content? I have doubts that this game will be "family friendly" with every single mechanic and aspect of the story, but are we talking the level of "maturity" common in Rockstar's games? Will this game be something in the middle? Will it be a game that only really gets slapped with the M rating because of a blood effect, and has very little "mature" content beyond that?
    Gingy, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited by Gingy; at Apr 24, 2015
  2. zeroinnocent

zeroinnocent Tester

• Tester
    rated R =D haha
  3. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    The rating of the game is not something we have considered just yet. Our focus is currently, and will certainly continue to be, on producing the very best experience for you guys.

Personally, I think ratings shouldn't be something to limit games, just as an indicator of the content to a potential buyer. A game's content should always be the best amount of high quality content for the experience the game intends. After all, it's the people you are making the game for that matter the most.
    Gingy likes this.
  4. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

The ESRB has given Minecraft E10+ for PC. I can't imagine anything too much more mature than that for SoA.
  5. Danarkivus-2

Danarkivus-2 Back Into Space

i would say E10+ to T.
  6. 10d22

10d22 Designer

• Dev Member
    M or R, because hopefully u will be able to cut aliens into pieces using a plasma knife, while skinning their flesh/hide from their dead bodies wear it as body armor, as you move towards the nearby human colony where you kill families for their food and medicin so you can go home, just to find your previously sickly daughter's corpse being eaten by a alien of the same species as you are wearing.

This may or may not actually be true.
    10d22, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited by 10d22; at Apr 24, 2015
    Con No 1 and Thomas988 like this.
  7. Thomas988

11/10
  8. Danarkivus-2

fix that for you.
  9. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

That's understandable. I think it works better as a gauge of a potentially arbitrary aspect than as any sort of limit.
  10. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    While Seb's post is kinda scary, and I now fear for my hide, it makes a good point in that it is critical we maintain the ability to be as free as possible to do what we can to make the game the best for you all to enjoy. If we find that landing us with a higher rating, I'd say: "so be it; as long as we stick to our vision and your enjoyment, we can hardly go wrong".
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    PsychoticLeprechaun, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited by PsychoticLeprechaun; at Apr 25, 2015
    Danarkivus-2 and Gingy like this.
  11. Sevio

Sevio Back Into Space

I agree that rating shouldn't be a concern for the design of the game at this stage, although in my mind the game will be about the story of building up a new civilization from the remains of the attacked colony ship while defending it from the aliens who would do it harm. I'm not really expecting anything worse than what's seen in World of Warcraft. (which does have the occasional bloody scene but its cartoony nature mitigates that a bit) I don't think horror, blood and gore are what this game will draw its strength from.
    Danarkivus-2 likes this.
  12. Whoisthatkidd

Whoisthatkidd Balanced Balancer

Its should be rated... hmm ..

I know!

"A" For awesome!
  13. Arpak

Arpak Moderator - Former CM

Ladies and Gentlemen, one of our designers, Sebastian. You may continue fearing for your hides.
    Gingy likes this.
  14. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    Still sounds awesome. You can roleplay as a psychotic maniac who brutally murders and mutilates innocent aliens in a misguided quest to save his daughter - but the twist is, THEY WERE THE ALIENS ALL ALONG AND THE ALIENS WERE ACTUALLY HUMANS!
    Jpr, Thomas988, Danarkivus-2 and 2 others like this.
  15. Danarkivus-2

DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNNN,
  16. Thomas988

I don't even anymore
  17. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

Don't forget the bonus recording of the alien raping your daughter's corpse!

I know, I know. I'm a terrible person...

Oh, please! I came up with darker stories when I was still in Kindergarten! *laughs evilly*
  18. Thomas988

OH GOD
  19. Danarkivus-2

and people say I was disturbing in Kindergarten but this this is WHAT THE FEJIC?
  20. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

The truly screwed up part of this is that my last post was a subtle reference to a certain Metal Gear Solid game.