1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the crafting, physics and other things going to be like?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AURAvulpes, Jun 6, 2015.

1. AURAvulpes

AURAvulpes Crash Landed

I was reading through that "The vision" post and was thinking about the parts with crafting and about the voxels having a kind of volumetric basis.. so i was curious about how the crafting of weapons, items etc. is going to be.. so i thought I'd ask ;)
    • Will you be doing it the regular way of gathering resources and crafting them from a list of craftable items? or will you have am more advanced way like physically making the tool voxel-by-voxel? Like hollowing out a few voxels of a pole made of wood and sticking a rock in there for a makeshift axe..

I personally hope it's the physical one..

Speaking of physics and stuff, i had a few questions about that, as well as some other aspects:

• Will any items i craft/make be able to be set down in the world physically and be effected by any forces applied to the area?
    • Will there be any rotations that aren't locked to 90° angles? Like a building that's on a 20° angle on its Z axis or something? and how will the physics effect these rotated entities compared to one locked on the 90° rotation grid?
    • Can environmental factors counter some other environmental factors? Like high gravity may cause more damage at a great height, but what if the player lands on a surface composed of a "soft" block, like wool? The damage will be reduced.. right?
    • Will there be the risk of collapsible buildings and/or structures by the amount of "weight" and formation of blocks? I'm guessing this is true as you's are seeking immersion, and if the collapsing thing is true, what preventative measures will take place to make sure natural structures keep within the "structually sound" lines? I don't wanna be wondering through a cave and the game to suddenly be like "Oh wait a sec.. this cave isn't stable.. let's collapse it!" and i get crushed by tons of earth :laugh:
    But yeah.. thanks in advance ⁿ-ⁿ
    ~AURAvulpes
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
    AURAvulpes, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited by AURAvulpes; at Jun 6, 2015
    Snipecoolbunny likes this.
  2. NeonSturm

NeonSturm Back Into Space

In MC-style games you will never be able to build real cathedral towers :(
    You need the optical illusion of lines approaching over 8+ blocks, but that would introduce many different block IDs.

But in turn you get mega-performance gains from so few details.
  3. AURAvulpes

AURAvulpes Crash Landed

Umm.. that doesn't exactly answer any of my questions..
    But if you're trying to get my excited about this game i already am :laugh:
    I just want a few questions about it answered so i know what to expect ;)
  4. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    The crafting system we have planned will involve mini-games to bring an element of player and character skill into the crafting process in a way more natural than simply the "level up to X to make Y" concept. We also want in that to be some control over the specific design of the items created in certain cases, so someone who roleplays as a blacksmith can create their own custom sword or gun designs. These designs would also affect certain properties of the items.

Items created would be treated as entities, so physics could be applied to them. In some cases they would be items that need to be set into the ground in some way - so they would be treated differently.

I doubt we'll offer the option to build structures at such an incline. We want to stick to the block-nature of the game, limiting us to the horizontal and vertical, though we may offer blocks that are other shapes inside that scheme.

The idea of such consideration of materials for certain occurrences seems reasonable and would allow for more understandable consequences for player actions.

Structural integrity is something we'll no doubt explore, though of course there is always the chance that it turns out too resource intensive to be feasible. We shall see!

Hope this helps clear some things up!
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
    PsychoticLeprechaun, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited by PsychoticLeprechaun; at Jun 7, 2015
    AURAvulpes likes this.
  5. AURAvulpes

AURAvulpes Crash Landed

Thanks for clearing that up ⁿ-ⁿ

I look forward to seeing this game progress as it come to life :D
    AURAvulpes, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited by AURAvulpes; at Jun 7, 2015
  6. zeroinnocent

zeroinnocent Tester

• Tester
    yes...sort of. when i was building my game it happened that some of my buildings collapse for no apparent reason. some of it happened more often when i was bulding water slides =/, . anyway it is difficult enough working with gravity mistakes you make while building can really screw you over they have a tendency to fall.
  7. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    We'll have to look into this if it was actually supported and still fell. If we do introduce structural integrity in the future, there would always be the option to disable it in the case of creative building projects (the same way physics can be disabled right now).
  8. zeroinnocent

zeroinnocent Tester

• Tester
    i think the problem is that if you build a structure from one anchor point to another anchor point and then delete the first anchor point the structure will fall. i guess its because the block is not registering that the structure are not connected to the 2 anchor. Try using blue mushroom block seems to be a problem with that block not sure which other blocks have the same problem. connect the mushroom block between two structures. Then delete one mushroom block where the first connection was. part of the mushroom structure should fall.
  9. Xion

Xion Industrial Re-revolutionist

I used to play a lot of Garry's Mod and one thing that turned into a game changer, aside from wire mod, was Advanced Duplicator mod. It allowed you to save everything you made, as long as they were welded together, with the click of a button. Then you could paste an infinite amount of exact copies.

Wouldn't a 3d printer in SoA be cool? You could have it small scale, building weapons and tools with it, or larger scale with entire machines and ships, or just parts of ships.

Sorry, off topic...
    Xion, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited by Xion; at Jun 8, 2015
  10. Snipecoolbunny

Snipecoolbunny Back Into Space

i wholy agree with you as far as the physics are considered! i would like to see a voxel by voxel crafting system. and we may HAVE to do it anyway because of wiring on ships and aircraft!
  11. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    Maybe, to make players aware that it is not their buildings simply falling apart for no reason, we can add in some kind of "Crumbling" or "Creaking" effect to make players aware that their building will collapse if they add more weight?
  12. PsychoticLeprechaun

• Dev Member
    In general, telegraphing consequences is definitely important, we don't want arbitrary difficulty to creep into any features and this is a great idea for a specific way to solve that issue with a possible structural integrity feature.
    Snipecoolbunny likes this.
  13. Snipecoolbunny

Snipecoolbunny Back Into Space

yep. that would be really cool to implement. but also, there will be different types of blocks that can break, like wood for example. wouldn't that crash and splinter?
  14. NeonSturm

NeonSturm Back Into Space

Then I'd like an old worn-out house to make creepy noises :)
    With realistic physics, you gonna need noises for connections too, where a connection can have different materials.
    Example-connection: { Graphit (suppots 10t, ...) + Wood (supports 0.1t, ...) + Iron-Bar (supports 1t, weights 90kg) }
    It would be the wood which makes noises, not the iron.
    But if the iron is thin and weak or an old force-dampener, it could be both making noises.​
  15. Potatocat

Potatocat Back Into Space

16. AURAvulpes

AURAvulpes Crash Landed

Hehe, talk about necro-posting :p
    I just got an email alerting me you replied to this long since old thread :laugh:

As for those physics, i don't think it's going to be THAT advanced without a reason to implement it..
    Potatocat likes this.
  17. Potatocat

Potatocat Back Into Space

"Old- not obsolete." The terminator :D

And I agree, but it is fun to make things based off of the game mechanics.