1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's your ABSOLUTE favorite part about SoA?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Michael-CM, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Michael-CM

Michael-CM Community Manager

• Dev Member
    I'm curious about what sets this game apart from the others. I'm not huge into PC gaming, but I know a little about it from friends and whatnot. What is it, specifically, that makes SoA so attractive to you fine humans???

I want to know what you guys think so that I can know what to focus on when telling my other friends about it :D
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  2. Sotlol1

Sotlol1 Reinvented The Wheel

In ver 0.1.6 i really like exploring the landscape and look at the amazing sights.
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  3. Lionitow

Lionitow Reinvented The Wheel

In the solar System demo I Like to search for potential awesome screenshots.
    And that is, in general, what makes SoA so interesting: its potential.
    I think the best has to come ;)
    ColdFuseon likes this.
  4. Arpak

Arpak Moderator - Former CM

The possibilities...

dear god....

The potentiiiaaalllll!

Ben plz
    Lionitow and ColdFuseon like this.
  5. Dysche

Dysche Intern Programmer

• Dev Member
    The community :3
    And ofc Planets and Possibilities
    Lionitow, ColdFuseon and Arpak like this.
  6. Thomas988

Thomas988 Back Into Space

Absolute favorite? By far this absolutely fantastic community, of course! SoA wouldn't be amazing if I couldn't share my explorations with others, now would it? ;)
    Lionitow and ColdFuseon like this.
  7. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    The sheer... Scale of it all. From the smallest block to the entire solar system, you can explore it all.

That size and scale troubles me. What do we risk with our own investigations into increasing the size of our games? Will we see a line in the sand and refuse to cross it? Or will we move forward, willing to sacrifice everything for the sake of total scale? I have to believe that is not our future. Provided, of course, that the aliens' technology remains in the right hands.
    Lionitow and Thomas988 like this.
  8. Danarkivus-2

Danarkivus-2 Back Into Space

for me that i can make machinimas with ease!
    Thomas988 likes this.
  9. Whoisthatkidd

Whoisthatkidd Balanced Balancer

This track:

In second place is that holy floating stone phallus hidden in a cave at the meteor crater.
    Danarkivus-2 and Thomas988 like this.
  10. Danarkivus-2

Danarkivus-2 Back Into Space

its my favorite as well.
  11. FruitGish

FruitGish Reinvented The Wheel

BEN WHERES MY 0.2.0!!!!!!!!
  12. FruitGish

FruitGish Reinvented The Wheel

!!!!!!11!!1!!1!!!111
  13. Thomas988

Patience young one. ( ͡°╭͜ʖ╮͡° )
    FruitGish likes this.
  14. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    FruitGish likes this.
  15. Sevio

Sevio Back Into Space

KSP and Minecraft have been a recurring theme in my gaming diet for years now, I came to SoA because it looks like it will do something extraordinary: Integrating voxel survival gameplay with a full scale solar system and all the possibilities for space exploration that brings into a seamless whole.

The extraordinary thing about that is doing something geometrically impossible: mapping terrain made of cubes onto a sphere without visible distortion. The current WIP solution for that is the best compromise possible that allows the voxel gameplay we're used to from Minecraft, lets you go around the planet in any direction and come back where you started and preserves proper space launches and orbits while eliminating distortion during general gameplay.

And that is what will allow this game to scale immersively and realistically from those 0.5m cubes that make up your house and the terrain around you to a fully mapped round planet, all the way up to the entire solar system. From standard survival gameplay with gathering, mining, crafting and building your house to trekking around the world by vehicle, boat or aircraft, circumnavigating the world, launching into space, exploring a nearby sibling moon, another planet or even another solar system.

Without taking shortcuts in space that every other game out there uses to deal with large differences in scale: teleportation, level loading (an abstract teleport from one game area to another while the computer churns to get it into memory), inside areas bigger than the outside or in separate levels etc. That, to me, is extraordinary about SoA. :)
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    Sevio, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited by Sevio; at Aug 19, 2015
  16. zeroinnocent

zeroinnocent Tester

• Tester
    the potential to make something big and grandeur. also the size of what you can construct.
  17. Snipecoolbunny

Snipecoolbunny Back Into Space

nothing. because everything is so amazing that i have no favorite. but if i had to choose. i would say the potential for greatness. SOA has the potential and opportunity to far surpass minecraft. which is the "stereotypical" sandbox game. soa is in my top five games. not anymore than that because my favorite games change constantly. but SOA will always be in my top five.
  18. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

Hands down, my favorite part is the fact that the game's system requirements are very accessible, while no apparent major sacrifice to fidelity is made. It still amazes me that a game With a scale model solar system and destructible terrain is playable on my old computer, a computer with 3GB of RAM, an 11 year old, single core(hyperthreaded) CPU, and a GT610 bottlenecked by a PCIe 1 slot. Bare in mind, this is a computer that can just barely keep a stable 30fps at 720p on certain Source games and plays Skyrim at a framerate between 15-20fps on minimal settings.
  19. Potatocat

Potatocat Back Into Space

Honestly, the community. You guys are great! Lol
    Thomas988 likes this.
  20. Thomas988

And the community loves you. ;)
    Potatocat likes this.