1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheighted Deaths

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by ThatOneGuy, Aug 8, 2014.

1. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy Reinvented The Wheel

Death is something that usually happens in a videogame. However, if a player dies in lets say minecraft, he respawns in a nearby bed or preset spawn point, with no debuffs. This is what I want to avoid. However, it would be a bitch if you die from something stupid in-game like a spider bite, when you have accumulated quite a bit, and then be back to where you first started. But when there is a wandering noob with not much at all, it doesn't really matter where he/she/it respawns.

So, to try and combat this, I would say that the player would spawn in a area (100 mile or so radius, depending on the location, time, and amount of unnatural stuff was there.) if requirements, such as these, were met.

• A majority of a year was spent at a concentrated location
    • How concentrated the location was
    • The amount of player made or influenced blocks and items
    • The date of when the player first arrived
    • Cause of death
    • Possibly more
    So using the above model, a player who remained stationary with in a base, would spawn relatively close, since the most likely deaths would be something silly, or an attack. To restrict players who have stayed at their base the entire time from respawning and coming back to try and kill you over and over again, everytime a player dies, the spawn radius gets larger and larger, eventually making it not worth the time to return. But for noobs who just tried to get your gear and leave but died would respawn so far away with no sense of where they're at it's not practical for them to try and find you again, so you don't have to worry about them coming back over and over again.

It's not perfect, so please criticize to your hearts content.
  2. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Industrial Re-revolutionist

Gotta disagree. You get a bad run of griefers and you'll end up with people just camping your base and splatting you over and again as you show up until you reach the point where you spawn too far away to reach it.

While I agree that death should have consequences, spawning a hundred miles away in-game, leaving you to travel on foot? That's just too far.
    I'd go so far as to say that until we have a firm grasp on just how player progression works, that balancing death debuffs and penalties is a bit of a shot in the dark.

I don't have any -better- ideas yet, but I'm not really a fan of permadeath or anything close in a game that'll require as much time as SoA looks like it will.
  3. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

I believe that you should respawn on your crashlanded dropship, unless you setup a very complex device to clone you.
    Then you spawn on such device.

Servers should have total control over how they want spawns to be, so that they can setup arena servers, medieval age servers etc.
    tetryds, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited by tetryds; at Aug 8, 2014
  4. joppiesaus

joppiesaus Infamous Space-Octopus

Minecraft isn't that bad to my opinion in that way: You lose all your items + xp, you start at your bed or spawnpoint.
    You can get your items if you are in time thought. A friend sometimes just dies so he can get his foodbar full again. That's not something we want in this game thought.
    What we could do is that your items are not being dropped, they just disappear. That makes death more avoidable.

Or something. I don't know really.
    What I do know:
    1. Death must not be usefull
    2. Death must not be extremely annoying, except if it's hard to die.
  5. Eviscerator

The only thing I can come up with that's both punishing and somewhat fair is how EVE Online treats death. You lose any equipment you had on you, but you can get it back if you're quick enough to return to the scene of your death before it despawns or is looted.

And if you didn't have a back up clone of proper quality, you lose a certain amount of experience. How that would translate into SoA? Probably a loss of skills, unrecorded research, or however progression is measured. So be sure to write things down and record your research and recipes until you can get that clone-vat built and keep it updated!
  6. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    Maybe you could make a "Landing Beacon" that allows it so that your escape pod could land in the same place - or a similar radius - to your base.
    Another idea would be "Cloning Vats", that could let you respawn so long as you have enough clones. You could even `
    Or perhaps a "Safety Beacon" distributed with the landing pods, and functions similarly to the landing beacon, but requires a lot of constant power? This way, players would need a good base to utilize the respawn mechanic. It would also prevent players from placing one right outside your door.
  7. tetryds

THAT^

So, let me develop this idea some more.
    You first kind of drives to the direction you are falling with your dropship.
    Then, when you die you will spawn on it.
    But if you setup a landing beacon, a new dropship will be sent heading to that direction, only once, you spawn on it again when you die.
    Through the method of spawning on the dropship all your items remain on your body when you die, and you lose lots of stuff that you have got.
    But I don't think the items should despawn, its just a sort of silly thing that comes from the fact that minecraft isn't able to keep up with several items loaded.
    Stuff doesn't despawn in real life, it should stay there on your corpse.
    Your corpse would root, like other lifeforms should do when they die but that's a talk for another time.

Keeping up, after a while you will be able to setup a cloning system.
    The cloning would have several advantages, as of loosing less things, but the corpse with all your items would remain.
    Good thing about clones is that you could have it on a ship, thus be mobile.

BUT, if you are using a warehouse/stream method on your pda you would not lose blocks, remember that.
    So, after death, someone on the possession of your old PDA could be potentially dangerous (to be discussed).

That's my idea, it makes you avoid death at all costs, either by complexity and cost of clones, drawbacks at the new dropship or distance from the previous.
    But this method should not discourage you to explore.
    Maybe spawning at the first time already with a spawn beacon to be placed, but only one (craftable later).
    The new dropship should have only a PDA, and be smaller, no items and stuff like the first one.
    tetryds, Aug 8, 2014
  8. Eviscerator

I think the PDA will have biometric functions to prevent use by unauthorized users, or at the very least self-destruct when vital signs of the user cease.
  9. tetryds

Yeah, then you eat some fancy fruits that drop your heartbeat to unnoticeable rates and it explodes on your arm.
    Guess it should just shutdown, but there can be some drawback related to it.
  10. Eviscerator

And that's a good cautionary tale about why we don't eat strange things without testing them first. Just another hazard of settling on an alien planet.
  11. tetryds

You say that on the first day without food.
    And change your mind on the third.
    Remember that anything that has some effect can and will be used as weaponary.
    tetryds, Aug 8, 2014
  12. Eviscerator

Hey, if your lifeboat didn't come with a simple testing kit to evaluate possible foods, that ain't my problem. It's only common sense to remember to put that in a futurelifeboat/escape pod.
  13. tetryds

Don't want to continue with derail, but you know that what you are not making any point there at all, right?
    Anyway, drawback possibility comming from the loss of your PDA is there, no matter how death happens, what and how this can happen is up to discussion.
  14. Eviscerator

*sigh* Just because you don't perceive the point does not mean it does not exist, and that's the sort of arrogance that grows annoying when conversing with you. The point being that your postulated scenario indicates an oversight on player starting equipment. There needs to be a method to test foodstuffs short of eating them and possibly killing your character in doing so.

And back on topic: I feel the PDA is too central to gameplay to be lost with death since building is supposed to be done through it. You can have it as an option for 'hardcore' gameplay, but it should not be a default setting. There's gonna have to be a mechanic or a bit of lore to explain why the player or their clone gets a fresh one and the one on the corpse is disabled.
  15. tetryds

You would get a new one at the spawn, as I pointed out up there.
    The thing is that since you died, your corpse will have one, and its a potential feature that it can be used by someone who finds it.

I am not being arrogant, I am not saying that you would instantly spawn, have no food and go eat anything.
    There may be several situations on the game where you can face hunger, and not have time to check if something is really edible.
    But again, this is just another flame over a single example to explain why I think such invasive self destruction could flaw.
    I could give many more, as being frozen or get poisoned by an animal, enemy or accident.

It would be fine if the corpse one is disabled, and it could work only for hardcore, but the option is there.

Edit: if you think my idea or opinion is bad, discuss the idea not the way I found to express it.
    tetryds, Aug 8, 2014
  16. Eviscerator

Already told you, such a gaping security flaw is far beyond my suspension of disbelief. If a player dies, the PDA on their body should be inoperable period. Done. Kaput. Finished. Only good for melting down.

In order to access someone's PDA, you should have to face the challenge of taking them alive, and then having to hack through the safeguards without triggering any failsafes or security measures. Killing someone and being able to raid their warehouse without the need to breach base defenses...that...kind of breaks the game as far as even bothering to build defenses into a base, or you'll end up with players who never leave their base.
  17. tetryds

Did I mention it would be easy?
    Or that the guy would ever have access to your warehouse?
    Guess not.
    So, stop assuming things, please.
    Nor that it would be undetectable.
    For example, if someone ever did something with your PDA, doesnt matter which access level, it could give away its position or something like that.
    Just because you don't think that the general idea of a feature is not of your taste dont distort it to ensure that.

You are just discussing a matter of game balancing, and I am talking about a potential feature that can be added the way it better fits the game, and removed if it doesnt work well.
    tetryds, Aug 8, 2014
  18. Eviscerator

You also didn't say those things would be impossible, and it's important to remember that it is YOUR job to specify the limitations of your proposal and not get upset if people make reasonable assumptions. Write out your idea, start a new thread since this is turning into a derail. Be detailed if assumptions bother you.
  19. BanjoWarrior

BanjoWarrior Reinvented The Wheel

Loosing my material goods or as I like to it "swag" is more than enough to get me scared shitless of death on Terraria and Minecraft.
  20. Eviscerator

Yeah, but stuff in your base should be safe unless people actually break into your base. It just seemed like people lifting gate codes or comm protocols from your PDA after you were killed to either steal stuff through the PDA, or deactivate your defenses would be a bit much.

They should have to work a little harder for such a reward.